IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. Thought i had better post my newbie story after enjoying your site for a few months as a lurker.

Growing up in E. Oregon on a cattle ranch didn't provide much opportunity for fishing, but we usually fished a small 5-15 ft.-wide stream for trout. It was a fun time for my dad and my brothers.:smash::smash::smash: We usually found more time for deer and elk hunting as we had an abundance on our ranch.

My first encounters with salmon/steehead fishing were with my ex-brother-in-law on the Alsea and Siletz rivers. He was a taxidermist in Albany and was a fishing/hunting guru. That's enough of the intro background, now on to the story.

We had to walk in a good quarter mile to one of his favorite holes. The sun was shining and the water had subsided after late summer rains. We had to cross the river through some faster water at the lower end of the hole. We were soon applying our eggs and letting them sink to the bottom. He was first to tie into a nice nook. After a nice battle the fish was soon on the bank. :smash:
During the commotion of landing the fish, being that I was new at that too, i kicked our entire tub of eggs into the water.:redface: :argue: Luckily I was able to fish out most of the bait from the shallows :argue:. I felt like the biggest dunce. Soon after my feelings turned to glee as I hooked into a nice fish. I had never fought anything like it. Luckily, I got it to shore and was almost ready to net it when my brother-in-law put his arm in the water and off we went on another good run down the river. I always think this was my payback for kicking the eggs into the river! In three hours we both had our limits. All four of the fish were over 25 pounds and lugging them back to the pickup in a gunnysack was not fun. I believe to this day that the punishment received that day was well rewarded. We had many other enjoyable trips fishing together and I never again dumped our bait into the river.

Thanks for putting up with my long intro. I am already learning much information from this site and hopefully can contribute as well some day. My work doesn't allow me much time for fishing, but I love to fish for bass and salmon/steelhead here in the Columbia and Snake rivers.

· Registered
275 Posts
Good to have you here Fool4FishnHuntn :smash:

Sounds like you should have had quite a few fresh eggs that day. One of those four fish was surely a hen :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.