IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for a while and recently decided to chime in. I didn't think I had much to offer such a knowledable group but as I kept reading I felt that my 2 cents was worth at least a penny. I guess after fishing for 50 years I have accumulated some change. Gosh, no matter how fast you say it 50 years is a long time.
My dad started me out on east coast charters, followed by surf casting, bay fishing.
Then came girls, Looooooooong pause.
Came to the west coast, Trout (Yeah), Steelhead (Yeah Yeah).
Bought a boat with always the hopes of getting on the Pond but didn't know enough to chance it. I have a friend who showed me how and where and Bottom fish (YEAH), Salmon (YEAH, YEAH).
Now with the knowlege I've picked up from you guys, I went over the line to the dark side. Tuna (YEAH,YEAH,YEAH,YEAH).
I want to thank all of you for your help, Ifishers are great (YEAH) From sharing numbers, tips on bait, letting me tag along. You have helped make 2007 the best fishing year, only wish my dad was still here to share. He would have loved all this.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Great intro post! :applause:

Somehow I suspect you are going to fit in juuuuust fine. :cheers:

I can tell ya, I've learned more in the 5 years I've been a part of Ifish than I learned in the previous 50. Spent more money, too. :laugh:

Welcome aboard.

Skein

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Nice intro .

Hold on ,, its an unending adventure and a real challange to keep your wallet .
Hi ho

id. p.

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Duck, thanks for you post, like skein suggested, you're among friends. Sounds like you have some of the same addictions, "Hi, my name id Duck, and I'm a saltaholic..."

So where do call home port and what's your ride?

Tim

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I started out fishing with my dad at a young age also. I think I could hold a fishing rod before I could walk. Good story. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in Salem and fish mostly out of Depoe Bay. My ride right now is none existent. On the way out to the Banana Sunday I heard this loud grind, followed by loss of forward and reverse.
There was a guy in a 21 ft. center console stripper that stayed with me till the CG came. The guys name was Zeek and I want to publicly thank him. He was great.
I brought the boat to Dennis boat shop in Salem and he found the motor mount full of dry rot which caused the motor to slip breaking the coupler. The boat is a 1991 19 ft. Blue water with a cuddy that has been professionally cared for its whole life, as I am pretty much a mechanical idiot. I am not sure what to do now but I have at least until spring to figure it out. I'm sure I will be asking for advice from you guys.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Welcome aboard!!! Come join us for some fun on the Yaquina, for the 6th annual U DA MAN Salmon Tournament in Newport. We promise a good time!!:cheers:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is such a great site. I can't believe how nice you guys are. A little history. My first day going for Tuna, I see a boat going in the same direction as me (numbers I got off this site) I ask if I can be his wing man. He not only let me follow him but called me several times during the day to check up on me. This was Ken and his wife(Retaliate), very nice people . I get back to shore and meet Hightechredneck and his beautiful 26' Stripper who showed me and my crew how to cark and gaive me lots of pointers on my newest passion. Years ago I was in Newport and starting to flush my engine in the up position when Pilar came over to offer advice on not doing that. He did it in such a way as to be appreciated. He also had a few Tuna on board his 19' boat which made me feel I could do it in mine. Then there is Skein, who goes out fishing all day and comes back, as tired as we all know, and sits at his computer to tell everyone how it was and where the fish were. That showed just what a caring bunch of guys and gals you all are.
Hugeduckfan--Hopefully we all stay newbies at something, and I never had a fan before.

·
Registered
491 Posts
he found the motor mount full of dry rot which caused the motor to slip breaking the coupler. The boat is a 1991 19 ft. Blue water with a cuddy that has been professionally cared for its whole life, as I am pretty much a mechanical idiot. I am not sure what to do now but I have at least until spring to figure it out. I'm sure I will be asking for advice from you guys.
Howard, I am ok figuiring things out mechanicaly,and have tools.I have done some fiberglass repair and I might be able to help you out without it costing you a fortune. I work cheap and you live close by.You took me fishing and that means alot to me.Redhook can put you in contact.Maybe this winter we can get your boat ready for next tuna season.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate that. I assume this is Randy. I took the boat to Britton's Marine on S. Commercial and they are fixing it as we speak. And yes it is costing a fortune, however not as much as a new boat.
Hope we can go fishing again, as a matter of fact Red Hook and I are talking about the John Day and Killer B's for the AM and PM and chukkar hunting with my pointers in the afternoon.
Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts