IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is mike and I have just moved back to oregon a few months ago after 12 years. Also, I just got a drift boat and a small RV. Finally some toys!! I have a great son, Colton, he is 14 and wears a 15 1/2 shoe....ouch. I was thinking of getting to the coast and trying the wilson or trask this weekend. I have fished both of these rivers but it was at least 15 yrs ago and from the bank. Anybody have an idea about shuttle services, and if they would shuttle a small rv? Also what about full hookup campsites nearby? ANY tips at all would be helpful as I would love to get colton on a nice chinook. Stories, got them. I have fished commercially and deckhanded on charter boats for 12 years, starting at the age of 10. The very first year of the "bouy 10" craze, we had soooo many cancellations because people just couldn't deal without deep sea fishing I guess. The few people that were intent on fishing were amazed how fast they limited out let alone caught fish. On one of our many cancellation days, a buddy and I decided we were invinsable, superhuman, smarter then everybody and anything else you could think of except.......stupid. We jumped in his 14' plywood boat with a 15 hp sputtering piece of tin for a motor,(although we did take oars and wear life jackets) Lauched off the river beach and headed for bouy 10. We were rewarded with what can only be called a "once in a lifetime experience" We killed the motor and drifted with the beginning of the flood. We had a fish on before we even got settled. The day was flat, sunny, and only about 15 boats out. We caught and released about 15 fish, by the time we had drifted back to the hammond boat basin. When we tried to start the motor, it all of a sudden wouldn't start. No biggie, we'll just row......and row.....and row. We decided with only one person able to row at a time, we should also fish. As is was my turn to row, I was busy wondering if we could get to the bank by the time we hit the skipanon river, when my buddy hooks a nice chinook. I was still rowing while he was fighting the fish and just about ready to stop and net it for him, when out of nowhere....a sea lion, just outside of oar length....to close anyway. He looked at us and went right after the fish. After grabbing it and spooling my friend, and thinking just how big that sea lion was. And how SMALL we were. We decided that we were indeed stupid. But at sixteen you are invinsable. I thankfully have grown up since then and have lost more then a dozen friends to the sea while they were commercial fishing. Some to stupidity and some to just....who knows. The sea, bays, rivers, all deserve and demand respect, this is a fact of which i have learned, not read, or heard. I have taught my son and wife about respect of the water and now will teach him about respect of water while on a boat. Hopefully catch him a fish or two also. Mike

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Great story! Hopefully Colton won't have to repeat your mistakes. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chinookin,
All of the putins for driftboats on the Wilson and Trask are unimproved. I think you would have a tough time launching with your RV. You might be able to drag your boat to the water at Mills Bridge, but it would be a chore. Be sure to check things out before you drive onto the beach. There is a nice camp ground just downstream from the Guide Shop cant remember the name, but you cant miss it its right on Hiway 6. The Guide Shop also does shuttes. Have fun be safe, and good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts