IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My T8 with TR-1 was stolen from off the boat right under my bedroom window last night. They just cut all the cables & hoses and probably used some big ass bolt cutters on the lock.

I hear about so many kickers being stolen that you would think by now half of the kickers you see on the water must be hot.

Maybe I should pay extra on my insurance to remove the $1k deductable. I somehow doubt this will be the last time someone steals a kicker from me.

· Registered
4,867 Posts
bummer
after one T-8 ripped off and another trashed I have adopted defense in depth:
1.) abus Boron (rockwell 59, tougher than most boltcutters, hyd squeeze will beat it but your average meth-head does not seem to want to work that hard..chain and lock (drillproof/pickproof) thru the SS transom eye, which is tacked from the inside to the hull! :)
2.) master boron lock w diff lock, drill & pickproof thru a hole drilled in welded alu swim step.
3.) Mcgard lock on one mount thru bolt
4.) welded kicker tilt frame to the alu bracket on alu boat...this is the kicker (pardon the pun), when they beat all the above..they face trashing the motor so bad it may not be sellable. The fillets are beatable but with some noise...

..I wish #5 was COLT 1911....

· Registered
2,065 Posts
That sucks :sick: Well, all we can do is keep our eyes peeled for one popping up somewhere. What year was it?

· Registered
642 Posts
My T8 with TR-1 was stolen from off the boat right under my bedroom window last night. They just cut all the cables & hoses and probably used some big ass bolt cutters on the lock.

I hear about so many kickers being stolen that you would think by now half of the kickers you see on the water must be hot.

Maybe I should pay extra on my insurance to remove the $1k deductable. I somehow doubt this will be the last time someone steals a kicker from me.
Inner city? Good luck Watch your children too:angel1:

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Wow - I'm sorry for your loss. I was just reading this month's edition of Boating Magazine. An article about boat / motor theft - an interview with a boat thief. I just ordered (yesterday) DataDots, McGard locking wheel lugs, McGard locking prop nut, Trimax coupler locks, etc.

This would be a great thread - not to minimize your pain for sure - but to help others avoid something similiar. I would be intersted in knowing what others are doing to protect their equipment

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've read about it happening to so many others that I guessed it would happen to me some day but hoped against it.

I'm in the cross between the burbs and the city. Definitely not inner city (well some of you in the sticks might think so).

Getting crazy with locks is a catch 22. If I do that it will either deter them the next time or they will do serious damage the boat itself trying to remove the kicker. I think I'll start with a very bright motion sensor light that is too high to put out with anything short of a rock or gun. My current motion sensor is down low and they just threw a shirt over it to keep the light off. Perhaps a web cam hooked up to the motion sensor too.

BTW, the motor was a 2004 T8. Long shaft, power starter, tiller handle, and manual tilt. The power cables have been cut but I suppose they could order replacements before they sell it. Serial# 69GL-1005277.

I wonder if I can report this to Yamaha. It sure would be cool if they kept a database of stolen motors and had their mechanics verify SN when they do work.

· Registered
7,358 Posts
Inside my boat house. I have an alarm that if they open anything or come through the wall they will literally be stunned by the sound of the alarm. Think turbo charged when thinking how loud it is. As they come back out the way they came I am standing there with a smile on my face and a 12ga in my hands. The 9mm is handy also. Likely I will meet them before they get to the garage because the yard is wired. I know the instant they come on the property. I have caught one guy this way. He was trying to get in my truck. Was not a pretty site when it was all said and done. But it was the officers fault for getting him really hurt. When he got there he told me to let go of him. The problem was I had choked him out and he fell face first to the driveway. I dont think he really needed those teeth anymore!:D For whatever reason I have been involved in four of these things. Three involved me holding the guy with the use of a weapon. Not fun stuff though. Good to get them caught but scary while it is going on. I could not even put a pencil to the paper the officer gave me to write my statement on. Was shaking way too much. Wife had to write it up for me!

· Registered
4,867 Posts
i feel your pain, but locks are the answer. My exp w 1.5 trashed T-8's happened in well lit, barb wire fenced yacht club and dealer lots. Be the hardest engine to steal and they will move on to something easier..

knock on wood, zero issues since adopting lock mania, well and welding..

· Registered
3,346 Posts
I wish the industry would do something to help us out. Something along the lines of rendering the motors useless without a keyfob or something that only the owner would have. I'd love to have a hidden GPS tracking device mounted on mine. At least the police could track them down.

· Registered
9,362 Posts

Sorry to hear this, it's crappy that our society has thieves in it, one is too many. Most folks are pretty honest, but all it takes is the few that are dishonest. I hope the locks will deter them in the future.

ron m

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I just went to my PSA meeting tonight and one of my best friends had his T-8 stolen Sunday night from his house in Tacoma. Tr-1 ruined and it was within throwing distance of his bedroom window.
Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope there is a civilized olution out there somewhere.

· Registered
5,088 Posts
I wish the industry would do something to help us out. Something along the lines of rendering the motors useless without a keyfob or something that only the owner would have. I'd love to have a hidden GPS tracking device mounted on mine. At least the police could track them down.
Why couldn't we as potential buyers push for this kinda thing. I can lock employees out of my computers and security system at my business, this seems even easier then that. Like a key that completes the circuit that only the factory or authorized personnel could get around. You think maybe they sell more because of theft?

· Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm selling my kicker and decided I needed to remove the lock to prepare for the eventual sale. It's one of those bar types with the lock mechanism that screws into the bottom when the key is inserted.

Due to too many trips in the salt, the key would not go into the slot. I decided I would need to cut it off. It took ten minutes with my hacksaw and a couple whacks with the hammer and the lock was off. And, I'm no experienced thief! The lock I replaced it with looks even flimsier.

I don't think a good thief will have much trouble getting any of our kickers off. And, the electric charge would be cool if it got a thief but make sure you don't zap a child or a dog by accident. And yes, be prepared for the thief to sue you. This is America!

I attribute the longevity of my motor to my dog. She's a lab, not a rottweiler nor a pit bull. I don't think you need those breeds of dog. I think the ******** run from a bark. We may not be able to outsmart them, but our dogs can.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.