IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dennis and I'm from Portland. I've been an avid fisherman most of my life, thanks to my dad. Now I just need to become as good at catchin' as I am at fishin'. I learned of ifish.net while talking with a couple of fisherman watching the chinook rolling and jumping in the CR below Tanner Creek. I told them I didn't have a network of fishing info other than the Thursday newspaper or the staff at GI Joe's and FM Supply. As soon as I got home I logged on and started poking around the site. I have really enjoyed the info and the sportsmanship. :bowdown: It seems that nowadays if I'm not fishing I'm reading the posts. A while back, the downturned economy provided me with an unscheduled period of transition allowing me to redefine my career objectives (corporate speak for unemployed). I'm in my mid-fifties and am an empty nester, the kids are grown and gone. Like any concerned parent, I child-proofed the house...and they still get back in! For the past couple of years I have mostly fished winter steelies on the Sandy River or the Clack. April and May I fly-fish the Deschutes for redsides and have started fly-fishing summer-runs in July from the mouth and move upstream toward Maupin as the run progresses. I'm not a purist; I still throw terminal gear at 'em cuz I have more strikes. My world once had people in it with boats and I used to fish the salt for salmon and also the CR. That's all changed so I'm a bankie. I have never fished the T-Bay for fall hogs but I have been reading the posts and WILL be down there for bobber and egg action. After reading Jennie's post last nite on searun cutts, I was going to go down today and throw a line with a spruce fly but the weather forecast indicated big winds. I'll watch the forecast head down tomorrow. I have a vintage white VW camper bus (hence, "fishnbus")so it's easy to move around and I always have place to sleep and cook.

I fished Eagle Creek yesterday and met an ifisher, probably River Ranger, and the run hasn't happened yet. Not enough rain to raise the creek. When it does come up, those silvers might not be too silver.

I'm trying to get all of the fishing in that I can before Oct. 30. I've put off fixin' some parts in my lower back for a long time and I've got to get the repairs done while I'm still under warranty. Full strength post-op should be in time for the peak of winter steelhead. Look for the white bus at a stream near you. :cheers:

PS If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a veteran.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome & great intro !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome aboard :cheers:

Good fishin: Arch

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
Right on fishnbus. Welcome to another vet! Fishft. :grin:

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Welcome

"PS If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it in English, thank a veteran."

Great Line!!!!!

Michael

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome newbie! :grin: from another newbie!!!!

----------------------BOBBER DOWN!!!!!------------

·
Registered
816 Posts
welcome to the friendly waters of ifish.

tight lines :cheers:
cartman

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Hi there-- I'm glad you joined us! :smile:

For the most part, the cutts have gone on up, I believe, as they often do, the first high water of Fall. However, there will always be some, spread through out the system all year.

There really is nothing quite like fly fishing, and I hope you join the ifish flyfishers on their forum, when you do go out slinging flies~!

Welcome to the crazy world of ifish!
Jen

·
Registered
605 Posts
Nice to have you as a member of Ifish. I'll be watching for the "white bus" for it indicates there is a serious fisherman on the banks nearby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts