IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. Not *again*. Sorry, couldn't resist! :wink: I just hate the misuse and abuse of the word "selectivity" when it comes to fishing gear, specifically gill nets.

As someone who has graduated from the UW School of Fisheries, I will just say that gillnets *are* a very selective fishery technique.

Big mesh gillnets select for big fish. Little mesh gillnets select for little fish.

Unfortunately for fish, it's really hard to select for *size* and *species*, especially when there is considerable overlap of both in a fishery.

But yes, I agree that gillnets gotta go and are bad. Just stop saying they are not selective. :wink:

[ 05-23-2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: parker ]

G

·
:rolleyes: Oh okay Parker they just "selectively" kill a lot of fish they shouldn't ....geez

[ 05-23-2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I ask u parker, when was the last time a gill net only caught the fish it was specifically targeting? Sure big nets catch bigger fish, but do they only catch the biggest fish? Smaller nets do they only catch the smaller fish? I would have to say the smaller nets are the biggest problem with less selectivity.

[ 05-23-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lets remember that these folks make their living off of gill netting, I know of a couple gillneters that work at a paper mill on the lower columbia, another that is a contractor. they can no way live off of the meagar 75 thou that the mills pay them. they have to gill net if they ever expect to support their family. should we really worry about a few fish when these folks very lives are at stake.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Originally posted by back bouncer:
Lets remember that these folks make their living off of gill netting, I know of a couple gillneters that work at a paper mill on the lower columbia, another that is a contractor. they can no way live off of the meagar 75 thou that the mills pay them. they have to gill net if they ever expect to support their family. should we really worry about a few fish when these folks very lives are at stake.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sarcasm, right?

G

·
For some reason I am unable to get the story from the link you posted Marsha. Is it me? If it isn't then repost please

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I sure hope that was sarcasm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts