IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the bank at the Gladstone stretch for approx 4 1/2 hrs. used bobber and prawns, steeles kitchen sink, neighbors dog, etc. didnt even get a sniff..whats is wrong with this River!!! am i not holding my mouth wright or what??? it was soooo good last year now i hear its spotty at the best. so i guess ill be off to the Santiam next week i have a friend that lives at Gates. he caught 5 last week, so ill give it a try. My thought is this, here is a river (Clackamas) that flows right through the middle of one of the most populated area,s in the state. You would think they would have returns up the "ying yang" it would be great for the fishing economy in the area. more fish you would sell more bait, sell more boats, at to pull that boat you would need to buy a new "gazzilion" dollor pickup!. I have herd so many lame excuses why the Game commission cant do it. I would gladly pay a extra $10.00 or more for licences if the Fish commision can raise the fish a little longer so they are more mature and we can get a better return...oh well I just had to vent!....one thing about the Clack, it will be a great swimming hole in Gladstone this year. you can count on that!!!!!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I think part of your problem started with the streach you were fishing and also that you spent over four hours in one spot (if that's what you did)

For one thing last year the river was a foot or more higher at this time last year, the fish just aren't holding in the same places as last year.

Also, if I'm not getting bit in twenty minutes I'm thinking of moving. If the fish are around they are caught, if not I move, and move some more.

There is also a short supply of summers this year on the Clackamas so we don't have those fish to get as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'd agree with David. Clack has a great run of springers in it, just takes some learning on where to fish at what levels and what to use. Don't sit on anchor, move about, fish different water and for petes sake get good bait. They are definately there.

Banked it early early morning today. Still kicking myself for forgetting the eggs in the fridge. Watched chinook rolling all over the place, no interest in hardware or naked drift gear, but I'd say they are there. In fact, I know they've been in good for a few weeks now. Keep in mind, last year was a banner year for steelhead. Now, I'd would still agree that the summers are in short supply this year. Just don't tell that to the one that bit my spinner this morning. Can you say chrome?!? :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts