IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call at work yesturday from my wife. "A boat just exploded and its on fire". And it was. The boat was moored in our moorage, and the owners (husband and wife) were down doing something with it. He tries starting the engine, then KaBlaammm and flames. He instructs here to jump off, and he comes out the front hatch. Fortunetly both were uninjured!! The boat was a ~26' cruiser with flying bridge. The back canopy was in flames along with the bilge. The motor is reccessed below deck. Apparently he had the 3' by 4' hatch open and said he ran the blower prior to starting. I know over the last couple of months there has been some posts regarding this subject. This just enforces the critical aspect of "What is the conditions in your bilge or engine compartment". Sometimes we are in a hurry and short cut things or assume everything is OK. Sometimes we do the right thing and still have problems. All I know is I'm going to start making it a habit to open the engine cover and check for myself that, all is OK. Don't take it for granted. Our moorage operator about a month ago mounted fire extinguishers up and down the dock. He has been running the moorage for 20+ years and never has had a fire. Sometimes things are ment to be. Thank you Willie Nyquist for mounting those extinguishers. They used a couple yesturday. And as we have witnessed more than once this summer, moorage fires can get out of control very quickly. Sorry to see somebodies love and joy go up in smoke, but I am very happy, no injuries to the owners, and our property was kept safe.

[ 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: River Kid ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Which Marina this time? They keep getting closer :shocked: to me in Scappoose!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts