IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like everyone is having good luck getting their antelope this year so here is my story.

Me and Limbhanger got into the area we wanted to hunt opening morning about 12:00 Friday night. Even in the dark it looked like a good area and we only passed 2 other camps going in so that was good news also. Opening morning we were up before daylight and started our climb to the highest point in the area and started glassing everything to see to find the antelope. After about an hour of glassing we spotted a bunch of antelopes about 2 miles away in the middle of a huge flat. Problem was there were now 3 other rigs cruising around so we figured they had spotted them also. Well we kept glassing and found another couple small bunches and decided to try and make a stock on one bunch of 4 that had what looked like a really nice heavy buck with them. Well, our first attempt at a stock went like this - see antelope in the distance, try and go after them when they are on the move, and well they pretty much just evaporated in front of us, oh well what the heck its opening morning and only the first try at a stock. So we go to plan B, go after the big bunch we saw earlier in the morning - well same thing all the antelope are gone and we can't seem to find them again. 5 miles later we are back at the rig hot and tired. Thats pretty much it for opening day.

With all the traffic in this little area we were in we decided to get something to eat in Christmas Valley and check out another area for the next day. Good pizza by the way at Froggys in Christmas Valley. Anyway, we get around to the other end of the S. Wagontire unit late Saturday night and like some others mentioned it rained like crazy most of the night with crazy winds blowing the rain sideways! Rain during antelope season probably doesn't happen much so who thinks about bringing any rain gear which we didn't. So, Sunday we get up real early and check out one area but it just doesn't look lopey so we head back down the road the other way. Well, we are going down the road and right in front of us walks a dandy buck with great mass, good length and just the perfect heart shaped horns you want. He crosses the road and stops broadside 60 yards away and looks it us. Well if you are wondering why I didn't shoot its because when he crossed the road he walked out of my unit. Had we been there 5 minutes earlier he'd of still been in my unit. Well we just watched him walk away - that was a killer.

We keep heading down the road and Chad spots a lone buck out feeding in a small draw. So, we keep going down the road a little until we are out of sight and get our stuff together and figure out how to put on a stock for this guy - he looks really nice - a shooter for sure. We get above him on a small flat and come over the edge of the draw where he should be and no antelope! We start glassing and Chad finally spots him bedded up against a bush in the bottom - he is nice but still about 400+ yards out so the sneak is on again. Well we try the same thing get above him to get closer, drop over and no buck! Busted by the wind or he saw us but all we know is he's gone. This was supposed to be easy right???

Back in the rig and on down the road - we spot another loner buck about 500 yards out in a big grass flat. I try and sneak through some low sage to get closer but get busted at about 400 yards and off he goes. From what I could tell, he looked OK, not as big as the last one but he looks worth going after. So we keep the binos on him to see what he does. Well he runs about a mile and just lays down behind some low brush, and lays his head completely on the ground and disappears - so that's what they do when they just disappear! Well about that time the wind kicks up and the monsoon starts again - did I mention we didn't bring any rain gear?? So Chad says what the heck lets go after him we might get lucky. We get our packs on and start out after him. So far so good, we get to about 250-260 yards and he is still laying down - doesn't know we are there. So the deal was Chad was going to try and video this, well I have my gun in my shooting sticks and I'm getting pretty excited about now. So, we are both looking at the buck - we can only see his horns now above the brush, so antelope gets up - I yell he's up and I kinda hear Chad say something - about that time boom I fire. Well, my first shot is one I'm not proud of and will bother me for a while, I'd really like to blame it on the gun being off but I think its probably because of one really excited hunter (me) + pretty long shot + one heck of a cross wind blowing left to right and it turns into a not perfect shot. To cut it a little short, 3 hours later we find him and I make up for my poor shooting and put him down for good. Of all the bucks we saw he is probably the smallest one - but I'm real happy to get him - it wasn't easy. I'd like to thank Chad (Limbhanger) he's a heck of a spotter and a heck of a hunting partner. Here are a couple of pictures of my first ever antelope.
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Re: Another Antelope story

Sounds like a good time. I have to say that you probably the ONLY hunters that would have let that other buck walk, even if it wasn't in your unit.

For most, it would have been slam on the brakes, shoot out the window, run after animal, race it back to the truck, peel out, stop 10 miles down the road and gut it out. I have seen it happen, actually got it on film once too.

Good job for sticking to your morales and ethics as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,563 Posts

Frank congrads did I miss something I did not see any pictures?

Well, looks like everyone is having good luck getting their antelope this year so here is my story.

Me and Limbhanger got into the area we wanted to hunt opening morning about 12:00 Friday night. Even in the dark it looked like a good area and we only passed 2 other camps going in so that was good news also. Opening morning we were up before daylight and started our climb to the highest point in the area and started glassing everything to see to find the antelope. After about an hour of glassing we spotted a bunch of antelopes about 2 miles away in the middle of a huge flat. Problem was there were now 3 other rigs cruising around so we figured they had spotted them also. Well we kept glassing and found another couple small bunches and decided to try and make a stock on one bunch of 4 that had what looked like a really nice heavy buck with them. Well, our first attempt at a stock went like this - see antelope in the distance, try and go after them when they are on the move, and well they pretty much just evaporated in front of us, oh well what the heck its opening morning and only the first try at a stock. So we go to plan B, go after the big bunch we saw earlier in the morning - well same thing all the antelope are gone and we can't seem to find them again. 5 miles later we are back at the rig hot and tired. Thats pretty much it for opening day.

With all the traffic in this little area we were in we decided to get something to eat in Christmas Valley and check out another area for the next day. Good pizza by the way at Froggys in Christmas Valley. Anyway, we get around to the other end of the S. Wagontire unit late Saturday night and like some others mentioned it rained like crazy most of the night with crazy winds blowing the rain sideways! Rain during antelope season probably doesn't happen much so who thinks about bringing any rain gear which we didn't. So, Sunday we get up real early and check out one area but it just doesn't look lopey so we head back down the road the other way. Well, we are going down the road and right in front of us walks a dandy buck with great mass, good length and just the perfect heart shaped horns you want. He crosses the road and stops broadside 60 yards away and looks it us. Well if you are wondering why I didn't shoot its because when he crossed the road he walked out of my unit. Had we been there 5 minutes earlier he'd of still been in my unit. Well we just watched him walk away - that was a killer.

We keep heading down the road and Chad spots a lone buck out feeding in a small draw. So, we keep going down the road a little until we are out of sight and get our stuff together and figure out how to put on a stock for this guy - he looks really nice - a shooter for sure. We get above him on a small flat and come over the edge of the draw where he should be and no antelope! We start glassing and Chad finally spots him bedded up against a bush in the bottom - he is nice but still about 400+ yards out so the sneak is on again. Well we try the same thing get above him to get closer, drop over and no buck! Busted by the wind or he saw us but all we know is he's gone. This was supposed to be easy right???

Back in the rig and on down the road - we spot another loner buck about 500 yards out in a big grass flat. I try and sneak through some low sage to get closer but get busted at about 400 yards and off he goes. From what I could tell, he looked OK, not as big as the last one but he looks worth going after. So we keep the binos on him to see what he does. Well he runs about a mile and just lays down behind some low brush, and lays his head completely on the ground and disappears - so that's what they do when they just disappear! Well about that time the wind kicks up and the monsoon starts again - did I mention we didn't bring any rain gear?? So Chad says what the heck lets go after him we might get lucky. We get our packs on and start out after him. So far so good, we get to about 250-260 yards and he is still laying down - doesn't know we are there. So the deal was Chad was going to try and video this, well I have my gun in my shooting sticks and I'm getting pretty excited about now. So, we are both looking at the buck - we can only see his horns now above the brush, so antelope gets up - I yell he's up and I kinda hear Chad say something - about that time boom I fire. Well, my first shot is one I'm not proud of and will bother me for a while, I'd really like to blame it on the gun being off but I think its probably because of one really excited hunter (me) + pretty long shot + one heck of a cross wind blowing left to right and it turns into a not perfect shot. To cut it a little short, 3 hours later we find him and I make up for my poor shooting and put him down for good. Of all the bucks we saw he is probably the smallest one - but I'm real happy to get him - it wasn't easy. I'd like to thank Chad (Limbhanger) he's a heck of a spotter and a heck of a hunting partner. Here are a couple of pictures of my first ever antelope.
Frank

·
Registered
5,006 Posts

Pics?? I don't see them..

Heck of a story and no its not easy...

Congrats...I'll check in later for the pics...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm not smart enough to post pics - I emailed them to Chad he will put them up shortly - he has to do real work or something!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so i figured it out pics added.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Hey Frank,

Great job once again..:cheers:

.Just between you and me, my cameraman sucked also,missing all the action..The stalk,the buck getting up and then going down....Said in the excitement of watching he forgot all about filming...LOL

Good luck in the Eagle Caps...You taking the same cameraman???:bigshock:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Hey Frank,

Great job once again..:cheers:

.Just between you and me, my cameraman sucked also,missing all the action..The stalk,the buck getting up and then going down....Said in the excitement of watching he forgot all about filming...LOL

Good luck in the Eagle Caps...You taking the same cameraman???:bigshock:
EXCUSE MEEE.....:bigshock: Lets get this straight. I was the director of this motion picture and MY actor shot BEFORE I said ACTION!!! LOLOL

I forgave him though because I know he was excited and it doesnt take long before those eagle eyed devils see you and vanish.

Once you figure them out antelope rates up there with the best hunting I have done. I love the spot and stalk game. It sucks you have to wait so long between fixes!!

Everyone said dont shoot the first one you see, so we didnt. We shot the smallest one we saw...LOLOL.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
So how long before you guys are on Itube this might be very entertaining:lurk: Oh just be sure to not mute it I am looking forward to this:applause::dance:

Hey you guys were sucessful and I am sure you had some laughs so it is all good oh by the way who was the orange bumkin in the photo?????:pp

EXCUSE MEEE.....:bigshock: Lets get this straight. I was the director of this motion picture and MY actor shot BEFORE I said ACTION!!! LOLOL

I forgave him though because I know he was excited and it doesnt take long before those eagle eyed devils see you and vanish.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Hey,

you are sposed to quit reading when you get to the part ,

"Frank,just between you and me"...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
So how long before you guys are on Itube this might be very entertaining:lurk: Oh just be sure to not mute it I am looking forward to this:applause::dance:

Hey you guys were sucessful and I am sure you had some laughs so it is all good oh by the way who was the orange bumkin in the photo?????:pp
It doesnt matter what you wear. I was in camo most of the time, but if there is clear space between you and their eyeballs you are done. The first time you glass one up at 900 yards and he is already looking at you it is amazing and humbling at the same time. Moving on them once they bed was the ticket. All of the sudden with no warning they just plop down and then it's game on.

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Oh that was you:wave: oops:D

It doesnt matter what you wear. I was in camo most of the time, but if there is clear space between you and their eyeballs you are done. The first time you glass one up at 900 yards and he is already looking at you it is amazing and humbling at the same time. Moving on them once they bed was the ticket. All of the sudden with no warning they just plop down and then it's game on.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Good animal - great story .. did you score him ?

·
Premium Member
22,116 Posts
Good for you, Frank...Well worth the wait, the stalk and the search...And, for us, the story. :applause:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Critr Gitr,
No score on him, did sorta measure the horns length though, came up with about 12 1/2 so not real big. I'll try for a bigger one in about 11-12 years!!

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
This was supposed to be easy right???
Easy, no; a blast, heck yeah!! :dance:

Nice job on being persistent and going after him when he bedded down; those are those most fun stalks of all IMHO. Especially when they don't know you're coming. ;)

And kudos on finishing what you started. :applause:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts