IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best stuff to use when you're curing shrimp and eggs, and where do you get it?
Thanks...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are you talking about just a scent to add to the eggs, or the actual egg cure itself? If your looking for the egg cure, try Ammermans. They're a sponser and have a link on the home page. If its just a scent, Mikes seems to be a pretty good one.

[ 05-14-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: JeepMcMuddy ]

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Scrimmy is right. The pure stuff is real strong. A little bit goes a long ways.

Start with a few drops. If it still seems weak( unlikely) you can add a couple more drops later overnite. It will soak in( can't do this on frozen eggs. They can defrost in the fridge for a couple days, then add the anise. Turn the jars a few times for 24 hours to get it to absorb thru all the eggs. And refreeze.). You can also put it in there when you cure the eggs. Just add it to the egg goop before the eggs start to reabsorb the yummy juices.

Mark and the wearing rubber gloves to keep the grease in check dog.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I get it online at IHERB.COM Been hard to find in some of the local stores.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Firedog, that was a good find! The local pharmacy that I found it in was $14 for 1 ounce. Your web source was one fourth of that! I'll bookmark that site.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That would be pure anise extract (not oil). In the spices section at your local Safeway. Use sparingly, it is very intense!!
Good luck and tight lines :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
There are those out there (names exluded, but they've sure kicked butt on the springers this year)who use PURE Anise oil with an obvious high degree of success. Try some of your local smaller pharmacies, that's where I found it. I've used the extract version (Schillings)from the grocery store on my herring brine in the Fall with good success, but recently bought some of the "pure" stuff to try. Haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Skrimmy, glad to help. I looked around town for pure Anise Oil and couldnt find it so started searching the internet and that was the best deal I could come up with. In a pinch I will use extract but prefer the Pure oil if I can get it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Overall, you guys believe that the pure anise is better then the extract?????

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Sparkleboy,

Be careful about adding scents to your eggs during the curing process unless you know exactly what fishery you are goin got us thme on. IE: you add anise to 6 jars, take two fishing and the fish don't like anise that day, your hosed.. Add it to the indivudal bait when fishing.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts