IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I use Vanilla in my herring brine. Blueing, rock salt, powdered milk, and vanilla. It has worked great for me.
I suppose you could replace the vanilla with anything you wanted for the smell. I use vanilla extract.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Yes, extract is usually stronger and will disperse better in your brine because it is mixed with alcohol. You can get the stuff at the grocery store or go for the really strong stuff at the pharmacy, they both work from my experience!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
**** , this topic came up last year and someone reccommended pure super duper anise. I'm not sure if it was extract or oil but the site they listed to get it and that I put in my favorites is www.iHerb.com. I also think they said that it was reasonably priced in comparison to anywhere else. Also mentioned was that it's much better than store bought anise extract. I have never used either one ( iherbs oil or extract) but have used store bought. Store bought has never done much for my fish catching but that's just my speed.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I already picked up some Schilling pure anise extract from the store along with some blue dye, Mrs. Stewart blueing,powded milk as I already have the rock salt and pickling salt. Think Ill mix up 2-3 different brines and see what happens.

Headed to Hammond in the morning and Ive always just got fresh herring at Free Willies and salted it when I picked it up. I catch fish with it, but I just think I need something a little firmer,flashier and something to keep the scales on a little longer. The one thing I dont like about the fresh is they dont stay on long when trolling fast or sitting in sitting in a stron tide. Im constantly tying on a fresh one. I think this might be a little cheaper in the long run as I shouldnt go thru as many baits.

Thanks again,

Bill

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
edit: sorry posted twice

[ 09-07-2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: cully ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.