IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
129,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I am anemic.

Funny, cuz I love to crunch ice, and that's an odd symptom of it!

I am so so tired, lately... I can't wait to get fixed. Is it easy to get over it? How long does it take? Will I battle with this forever or is it just my diet, or?

Jen

· Registered
2,281 Posts
Yes, I was horribly anemic after the birth of my son. Imagine having to take care of a newborn and feeling too weak to walk from one end of the grocery store to another! After two months of taking iron supplements and eating iron-rich foods, I ended up having to get a transfusion. My strength and color returned immediately after that.

My dad also has pernicious anemia, which is an inability to absorb B12, I think. Annie Oakley died from this.

Floradix is a good iron supplement. Take it with Vitamin C to help absorption, and avoid caffeine if possible. I am a coffee lover, so I just took a little extra iron, instead. Seemed to work fine.

Oh, I was a big ice cruncher, too. I had to sneak it, because it drove my husband nutty.

· Administrator
129,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a bit bugged. Maybe this is why I'm so tired all the time? The doc said, "Well, Jennie... You have been hovering around low for years, now."

No one told me, that! :shrug:

Don't you find that odd? I guess I have so many things all messed up inside, that it's no biggy. But, still, it would have been nice to know, so that I could take a little action.

Oh well. It is what it is. I sure feel tired, though. I can barely make it up the stairs.

· Administrator
129,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They found it while doing a blood test for surgery.
Then, I had to go back and do another more specific blood test about why or what kind of anemia. I guess there are several kinds. This is to answer weekender's question. My particular kind of anemia is a low ferritin. I'm low all the way around, but extremely low in my iron stores.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
Other than iron supplements... try using some old school cast iron skillets to cook with. I know it sounds weird but it works for my wife.

Small amounts of iron from the pan will cook into the food.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.