IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I was out over the weekend fishing in "sight fishing" conditions. I was tossing spoons, when I saw a bright 10lb hen steelhead come out of nowhere and hammer my lure. :shocked:

I set the hook and as soon as it was on the line, it was off. It instantly ejected from the water and tossed my spoon before I knew what had happened.

Now, here is where the problem lies, this was the first Summer Steelhead i've had on the line. The 2 previous steelhead i've hooked(didn't land them either) were of the winter variety. These fish didn't jump. And the Springers that i've caught, also, didn't jump. So when this one blew out of the water in 2.3 seconds, it caught me so offguard that I didn't know what to do.

So, I am looking for the tactics/evasive manuevars that you all use when one of these bright beasts clear the water... Is there a consensus way to counter the fish tossing the lure? Or does everyone do it a little different?

P.S. I do realize that had I changed from a treble hook to a siwash hook on my spoon, it probably would have stuck harder/deeper, and therefore increased my odds of keeping the fish. But even then, tossing the hook is still a possiblity...

--Skahorse

[ 07-15-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: skahorse ]

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
bow to the fish giving slack.....this will reduce the tension on the line and "hopefully" not have the hook fallout.....of course this relies on a good hookset

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
When a fish jumps right off the bat, there aint much you can do but hope. If you get a jumper, enjoy the ride. Best case is the fish makes a good run before it jumps, firmly sticking the hook.

If you have the time, stick the rod tip a foot or 2 under water. That way there is some tension on the line as the fish jumps.

Winters jump, but the colder water keeps their antics down a bit. Springers don't jump a lot for us. Not near as often as steelies. Summers in warm water are wild!

Keep at it, you will land one. Thats just a bonus to the rest of it.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I do a lot of sight fishing, and I know what mistakes I've made over the years. Maybe some of this applies to your situation...???

The main reason I either miss visual strikes or hook them poorly is because I sometimes (still, after 20+ years of doing it!!) set the hook when I see the strike rather than waiting to feel the strike. It is the hardest half second you'll ever spend, but wait to FEEL the strike. If the fish threw your lure it could be because you struck too soon and barely got the edge of her mouth.

Another reason I hook them poorly sometimes has to do with the angle of the hookset. If you were fishing a spoon, the odds are pretty good that she was at least somewhat downstrean from you (?) If so, your hookset should move your rod toward between shoulder and waist level (on you) and toward the bank you're standing on. This is more sideways than straight up (toward your forehead). The straight upstream hookset can sometimes pull the lure right out of the fish's mouth or, again, cause the hook to just nick the skin.

You are right about siwash hooks. The fish you hook with a siwash will rarely come off. I find it best to bend the tine of the hook so it's slightly offset instead of in a perfectly straight line with the shank. Tf the fish bites down on the hook, you've got'em.

As the others have said, it is good to "bow" to the fish if you can. You don't want the line real tight when she's airborne.

The main thing though is experience. If you're hooking fish, then you're doing a lot of things right already. Keep it up! If you're 0 for your last 3, the odds are on your side for the next one you hook. Make sure your hooks are sharp, fish good areas at good times, and you'll put a few on the bank in no time.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
It seems we have gone from a 90% lost/land rate to about 66% lost land rate in the last few months. Many come un-buttoned after awhile after the jumping and smoking runs :shrug: . These summers antics are getting the best of us. We generally point the rod at the fish anytime they exhibit anticipated agressive behavior to reduce guide friction and just have drag only resistance.
Now that I think about it, a jumping fish with the rod pointed at the top of a hookset position is a poor idea. It gives the appearance of yanking the fish out of the water! It makes a poor mental picture. The successful guys hold the rod extended out with one hand, running port to starboard, fore and aft with the rod pointing at aggressive fish. The only time two hands are on the reel and the tip is up is when you can gain line on the fish and resistance is such that only your wrist can be used to get the rod upright.
We fish from an open sled and use 8 lb leaders and the drags are set pretty light. We move around the boat nimbly to move with the fish.I have to admit that in many cases of larger fish and stronger currents that we will move the boat to the fish rather than the other way around (we have been spooled twice this year :shocked: ). But that's part of the game with light tackle. :cool:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Heck, just sit back and enjoy the ride! Marveling at a hot fishes acrobatics is just as enjoyable as landing the slippery thing.

If your primary concern is putting meat on the bank, I believe the method that has worked best for me is to put the tip down toward and in the water when you anticipate "blast off". This tends to keep constant tension on the free flying line and snup the angle of the fishes surface departure. The line angle and tension is pulling his nose downward into the water.

......but, that's no fun. I Say.....Watch that puppy jump! Even if you lose it, your hands can enjoy that fun shakey feeling!

[ 07-15-2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: HOGTIDE ]

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Jumper = FUUUUUUUN
Hey hog how the heck are ya!?
its been awhile, give me a call or send an email we'll go fishin!

Dustin

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yank really hard. When they jump they will fly in your direction and hopefully land on the bank.

---D :cool:

·
Registered
23,401 Posts
I like that fun shakey feeling even if my partner in the sporting event comes unbuttoned. In fact most of the great fish I have had hooked up were released long distance. But what great fun.

When I get a great hot fighting fish hooked up I never feel like the favorite. In warm water I try to get it in as soon as possible (which I am sure causes me to loose more) so it can be released unhurt to live and fight again. Barbless hooks also cause me to loose some but that is fishing. I try and keep the rod tip down and the line tight (no barb) and this dont always work. But What F U N.

I get that fun shakey hands and trembling fingers feeling with every hook up. The rest of the event is a bounus.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts