IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since no really cares, I thought I may as well post what a great time we had on the flotilla. I fished with Dr Strangelove, last years winner, and Rags, our humble and gracious GURU that had to show us how to do everything. We started at 5 AM and by 7 had the first fish in the boat and lost another. I picked up the second at 1:15 PM and had not seen a fish on for about two hours. Thanks for your patience with me and my panic attacks. I had another great trip with you guys and look forward to Rags winning next year. That will be a threepete.

For those that did not show up at the BBQ, all of you should get "The Baton". I was shocked that none of the sponsers showed up as we tend to call them with our needs and this would have been a change to make some more contacts and perhaps fill some of th eir lean days on the rivers.

I am interested in building these events and not bashing anyone but we need everyones support if we are going to make this worthwhile. It is really a pleasure for someone like me to meet a fameous river guide and the people smart enough to make these events happen. We all learn from those we meet and associate with and that is why this board is GREAT. Is it starting to slip or fall due to the lack of interest? I hope not.

Thanks Rags and Doc. for a fun day. Great net work. You guys really helped me have a great day and one that I will talk about every time we get together. At least until one of you catch a fish.
All we need to make it better would be to add No Pilgrim in the boat. With or without his Snoopy Rods.

[ 04-21-2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: snapshot ]

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Ditto Snapshot. I don't want to bash anyone either but where were you guys that sale your services and goods on this board? What a great opportunity to promote your product. Not one prize donated. :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Let me put the issue of prizes and the generosity of the ifish sponsors to bed right now.

There where several Ifish and non ifish sponsors that had offered to donate to this event.

Due to the laws of the States of WA and Or. the question of prizes and tournments/contests and liability insurance put a damper on what I was willing to take from them. So without having to charge participants for the event to cover the associated costs of the tournment fees for the states and the liability insurance to protect all, I made the decision not to have any prizes so that the event could continue without all the redtape and bs.

So with that said, I would like to thank all those who made the offer of prizes for this event.

Want to find out what you have to go thru to orgainize one of these events, feel free to host one.

Giz...

[ 04-22-2003, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
How about we pair up with fisherman's marine, gi joes and or Ollies to sponsor a flotilla tourney for next year. That way, even with minimal insurance costs, we could have prizes and more people, guides, attn, etc. Doc

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Flotillas are not an ifish sponsored event. I wasn't asked to sponsor it, nor donate anything.
I think people just get together and talk about it here. I didn't read much of the threads at all, so I didn't even know you had prizes!

???

Is there a problem? I think I'm confused.

Jen

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Jennie is correct. None of these fishing events are sponsored by any of the bb's. The bb's only allow us to advertise them and have fun with smack talk threads and other annoncments.

Unfortunately, with the laws and the way people like to sue we all have to do business differently than in the past when people accepted responsibilty for their actions instead of figuring out who they could blame for their stupidity.

Giz...

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
What I 'm saying, and I realize your concerns, Jennie and Walt, is that if we fisherman, who talk about our get-togethers/flotillas on your board(s), without calling ourselfes "ifishers", but rather "flotillers" want to approach Joes, Fishermans, and Ollies for their backing in putting together a Flotilla Tourney, it would allow for more incentive to get more people together for a good time.

No huge cash prizes, just donations of guided trips (I'm sure many of the guides on your and other boards would like to partake for the advertisent factor alone), custom rods, fishing and boating gear (Motion Marine, NorthRiver?) would provide a low cost, easily insurable event. No association, liability, or cost to ifish necessary. That would be the responsibility of the event coordinator(s) and the sponsors, funded by nominal entry fee to cover insurance cost only. Prizes would be donated in the interest of advertising incentive. It would almost be like a sportsmans convention flotilla.

Talk about big event; it would be phenomenal.

Please don't shut down my idea/thread out of hand. I'd like to get Ifisher's members input on this for next year.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
What about the previous flotillas? Prizes were given out last year. I remember the Clackamas flotilla and we met at Busters with prizes. The North Fork flotilla prizes were also given. I think all the prizes were donated. What was done differently? Those flotillas were a lot of fun and well attended.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It is matter of what events Ifish wants to endorse. I think the flotillas are fun and a great way to meet people. In reading this thread there seems to be people who careless or don't read those thread enough to get involved in them and that is too bad they are really a kick..............Chris

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I will reply in Rag's behalf if he doesn't mind. Rags, Snapshot, and I care more about fishing than whining. Why worry about getting sued? Come on, I face that danger daily. Wonder why so few people showed up for this flotilla? Prizes make winning fun and lets face it: Turn Your Head and Cough has kicked butt two years in a row now. Doesn't Snapshot deserve something for his efforts more than bragging rights? I love my TH Rod. I think the prize aspect of this can be handled in a good sportsmanship manner in the future. Maybe it was the knowledge that bad apples might show that killed this one. Don't ruin the whole barrel please, just ignore and if necessary, excise. Ready yourselves for an F6 threepeat in 2004! Maybe with some real sponsors too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Last years springer flotilla was the one that turned these events back into what they started to be, a place and time to get together and fish, meet new friends and to see some of the old ones that we have made through these boards. There were a lot of accusations of who caught what fish and it seemed that the "prizes" kind of messed up the whole atmosphere of the event (after the fact). The post flotilla bs even cost a few friendships!! I for one do not think that we need to have any contests involved in any of the flotillas, but that is up to the organizer of the day. The flotilla that we had at the Cow last June and in Sekiu in September was nothing but a good time (without prizes)!! If you want a flotilla with prizes and sponsers present, step up to the plate and organize it!!
I am disappointed that I did not make this years springer event but I ended up with a mean case of the flu last weekend. Looking forward to the next one which should be the one in June on the Cow. We will be headed back to Sekiu this year for round 2 with the silvers this September also. My .02
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff :grin: :grin:

[ 04-24-2003, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Jeffhead ]

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I would second what Jeff stated above. In fact, how many people even knew the extent of prizes that would be there last year.

So if it helps, let me nominate Dr. Stanglove, and his crew to organize next years event.

This way, they can implement their ideas. Lets make this happen and plan on a Springer Flotilla Part 111 for next year.

So it is up to you guys. I am stepping aside.

Giz... :smile:

[ 04-24-2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Gizmo Man ]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has made a turn I was not intending and want to set it streight.

I had fun, I had to have fun I caught two nice springers and enjoyed the company. All the company, in the boat and at the BBQ. I believe we had a great time because we participated and met some new faces at the weighin.

I can live without a prize as I am the one holding the two nice Springers and have the bragging rights for a year. I am only disappointed that more of the "Gang" did not come out to see my fish. Walt, "that means more than one". Thanks for your efforts and I do appreciate all that is done for us and on our behalf. I remember the event from last year and all the people and know how much fun everyone said it was. That is all I was saying, come on out and share your stories and have a pleasant chat with some good people, in person. Nothing else intended or implied. Just want more to come out and share in this great past time we partake of. You know what they say,
"The more the Merrier"

Well done Walt and I appreciate the photos you emailed me. Wish I could attact them here. The ones Doc took are great too. Thanks Doc.

Doc, Let's talk about next year and see what we can come up with. I am sure Walt will help if we let him fish with us........Must have Rags permission too as he is next years winner.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Originally posted by boater:
sounds like someone is suing ifish ?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Just so everyone knows, there are no suits, nor threats of suits against Ifish.net. As long as Floatillas are "just a bunch of friends going fishing" there is no big potential for liability. The problem could arise if a web site or merchant were to sponsor the event. At that point permits and insurance become necessary due to the implicated liability, and at least for some of us, the fun starts to drain out of the event. The point is to have a fun, shared experience. I think that's what Walt was aiming for and I think that's what he succeeded in accomplishing.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Pete- wrong. I'm sueing cause you forgot to put the warning labels on! :whazzup: :wink:

"Danger- all work and no fishing makes Mel a dull boy" :depressed:

And of course, the label for everyone else:

"Beware of Mel" :mad:

:grin: :cheers:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey all-

I put together a little Blackmouth Flotilla in area 10 last February for us Piscatorial folks and anyone else who wanted to join. Fellow board members and myself all pooled together and gathered prizes up from local businesses, tackle shops...some people even made nice prizes. We held the event at a tavern local to the most widely used launch, and had a great time. We had a pretty decent turnout too... except for the Blackmouth, but that is for another thread :rolleyes:
It took a little time and effort, but it was worth every bit.

There is no Derby license needed for sport fishing derby's, which are what salmon are considered as, only for foodfish derby's ...Go Figure!

I surfed looking for any laws that spoke to these types of events and found none, in Washington anyways...what laws did you find Giz? did we break one????

I talked to Bob and he didnt care that we used his site's name, probably because he knew that nothing would ever become of it. What would happen anyways that anyone would hold HIM liable for??? he was not even there!

Noone is going to sue anyone or hold any website liable for a bunch of fishermen and women getting together. That is all hogwash IMO.

I would be happy to gather resources with any of you to make these events happen. These type of events are a nice break from the normal routine. I have met some great people who share the same passion for sport I love...isn't that what having a Flotilla is all about?

Next time, email me about a flotilla that is to be organized. I know a few tackle manufactureres, tackle shops, and the like and will be happy to contact them for prizes. At our Flotilla everyone got a nice prize package for showing up. Who has a problem with that?

edit-
Not putting down the Springer Flotilla, that was fun Giz, except for the whole catching part, can you fix that for next year? Prizes are a great way to reqard the best fish, best food brought, etc. Helps with the turnout too.

[ 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Sky-Guy ]

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Sky-guy, you may be right that no one is going to sue anyone. But consider the worst case scenario of a drowning. It would then be very likely that insurance companies would become involved and they have nothing to lose and no loyalties. The event works fine as a Stand-Alone friends-fishing activity, so why run the risk? Is it any less fun because no one is flying "colors"?

In Oregon, where Sand Island is located, there is no distinction between food and sport fish licensing and regulation as there is in Washington. A permit is required if the aggregate prize values exceed $1000. Let's see, that would be 2 rods and a reel, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts