·
Registered
540 Posts
Plug-cut, brined always have good luck. :cheers:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Coyote spoons! :grin:

Seriously though, I haven't tried them at bouy 10. Haven't fished the bouy for some 10-12 years. I believe I read somewhere that they do work there.

I have tagged 13 salmon (coho and chinook) now on this one $3.00 spoon. Haven't bought or used a herring or anchovie all season.

It has been nice not buying bait, thawing bait, refreezing bait, throwing away bait. Saved a few bucks also. Don't even have to worry about whether a fish got your bait on a hit& miss drive bye. :grin:

Might fish the bouy with Jerry Dove this year and if I do I will be using old faithful.

Dano

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have had success using anchovies by keeping them very cold. I hook the top hook up through the the bottom of the jaw of the anchovie and push the hook out through the hard spot in their head. They don't spin like a cut plug, but still catch fish. Adding a hootchie to the chovie will sometimes trigger a strike as well, especially the first two hours of morning daylight. There have been many of "1st fish" dollars I have earned this way.

You can also use one of those rotary clips that puts a good spin on them and holds on to the bait pretty well. Anyway, they can be used and do catch fish.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
If you are going to use anchovies you need to use those head slip covers. You can get them at GI Joes or Fisherman's. The biats are way too soft and wont hold on the hooks but when using the covers they work great. You should start off one rod with anchovies and see if the fish want them.

Last year I was down around the bridge and there was a fish here and there being picked up. Some guy showed up in a little 12' boat with a 8 horse motor with his buddy and ended up with a limit of 30lb+ kings in 45 minutes using anchovies with those bait holders. :shocked:
We switched over and caught 3 kings in 40 minutes, one every pass. :grin:

Its definately worth a try!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Last couple years I have had better success with herring. Cut plug last year and whole the year before. Several years ago we where doing real well with anchovies. I don't know if it is just chance or what, but seems as though it changes a little bit from year to year. I always carry anchovies in the arsenal.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Anchovies to soft! We went through 10 dozen baits last weekend-most were ripped of by fish! :wink: Anchovies just dont hold up for me

Crayfin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.