IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cruised the channel yesterday afternoon and only saw one boat anchored by the paper mill. Are there places to anchor in the channel near the outlet? Are there places to anchor that are up into Scappoose Bay?

Not having a kicker I don't want to foul the main engine by putting for hours. Yes, a kicker is in my future but not this season. I have the boat moored at the the marina in St. Helens, so putting in at a different spot isn't a viable option, for now.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Launch out of Scappoose Bay and make your way to the Channel. Take a right and head upstream about 2 miles. On the left you'll see a whole line of the wood dikes, the depth will be 14-18 feet, depending where you want to fish. Just be aware that ALOT of people troll this area, so you can anchor on the low side or the high side. I've seen a few people catch some fish anchoring here, wrapped kwikfish, 16 feet of water. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a more timid group than I thought it was.
I can't believe that no one else is willing to tell me where to go. :shocked:

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
The vast majority of people fishing this area troll ... perhaps it's the question, not the responders. For me, doing my own exploration is half of the reason for going out. Just go! There's tons of places to throw your anchor and you'll see first hand if you're there.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
a friend took me Saturday to fish the Multnomah Channel. As soon as we headed in to the channel (the right hand turn into the channel headed away from the paper plant) we anchored immediatly on the right. No more than 50 yards up the channel and falirly close to the bank. One other boat was anchore there too. We seemed to be out of the way of the troll boats. The boat next to us had a take down but no fish. We had nothing. We joined in later trolling. Way Way to many boats.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
If ya cross over the channel as soon as you enter from the bay, you can tie up to one of many pilings. Caught a few there myself. :smile:

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
92 Posts
For all the years that I have fished the channel what I've learned is that if the fish are there, and the current is there, than anchoring anywhere from 12 to 25 feet will work Just run up the channel, and pick a spot.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Skaker-King
A couple things to note...it is easy to slide off this board and not been seen by people who can help. A simple Bump back to the top is sufficient to get a new audience.

Also there are lots of threads in the archives on fishing MC...Coon Island comes to mind quickly for setting on the hook, and I have never been there. Run some searches.

Also and I think KEY is you said you were on the water in the afternoon, not specific, but the tides might have been working against you...
St. Helens Tides on the 14th...
14 M 3:56a H 12:10p L 3:52p H

Slip this a bit (20-30min) for the channel, you probably were not there for prime anchoring water to begin with. PM or AM would have been the best options. Even so if the swing was short you won't get much current. Start using these tools as you watch what others are doing.

good luck
gus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts