IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know there's plenty in the archives on this but one question I'm still not sure of...

If I'm not sure which direction the current is pulling the boats away from the anchors is it reasonable to make a false drift just to be sure I know which way I'm going to go from the anchor spot. My boat's a sled and I'm never sure what the wind or eddy's might do to my downstream drift.

I've read all the archives but now I think I'm more intimidated than when I started. Does anyone have any other simple advice. Ive got 300 ft of rope and a 40lb rocking chair anchor with a float. I think I've got everything I need except experience.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Many use their kicker to steer the boat once the fish is hooked, and you've dropped off anchor.

Due to some tight anchoring situations, we've been "towing" some fish around those that anchor below a little on the close side.Once a path is clear, we just drift back, till it's in the net, using the kicker to keep the fish from getting under the boat.

I think leaving the right amount of space to fish comfortably ( alongside other boats in the line, not too close to the line above or below) is the most important thing to think of when anchoring in a line.

If you're really that uncomfortable, find a spot away from the other boats. The Coolumbia is a huge river, and those fish are only going one direction. HOME :smile:

My .02, hope it helps.
Chris :cool:

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Yeah, I always fire up the kicker immediately and start angling out towards the channel. It also helps when you have fish newbies to keep a little throttle away from the fish until it gets close to the boat - helps keep the line tight and the hooks in.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Just idle past the boats that are there and look at their anchor balls/rope to see. Also note the angle they are hanging and adjust appropriatly.

If that doesn't work just ask the other boats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was asking about how to get into the right spot in the line without drifting across someones anchor line or coming down on top of them.

The info on drifting out of the line to fight a fish was appreciated though.

Thanks for all the advice however and the words of encouragement. Heading to the Cowlitz tomorrow so if you see someone really struggling to anchor up ... its not me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What you want to do is pick the boat you'll anchor next to and motor up along side. Let him/her know your intentions, most times they will help you line up on there line.

Best advice is practice alot. You don't want to be the guy that gets crossways in the line at
0'dark thirty. :shocked:

once again practice, practice, practice :grin: :grin: do this away from a line in softer water until
you feel comfortable.

good luck!! :cheers:

[ 09-06-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: FISHNAKED ]

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ok, I'll put my 2cents in also.
Pick a hog line that has only a few boat in it.
Don't try to go between them, but goto the outside or inside. Idle up a long side, but leave lots of room between you, about 20 feet . Smile and say hi. Slowly idle past in a stright line, This is the hard part, how far to go upriver before you drop your anchor. However far you go add about 30feet just to be safe. drop anchor and start feeding line, I like to just let the current carry me back and not ues the moter to run back. Sometimes as you drift back it may look like your going to be to close to someone, but as you pull the rope tight you swing back to your line. The last part is fine tuneing you angle using your front cleats and turning your moter. After your gear is in the water you may want to play around with that.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Shoulda,the above is all great advice. But if your really serious about learning about anchoring in a hog line,here's what I did when I was starting out. Get a seasoned veteran to go with you and show you the ropes. This is serious stuff here,many variables that aren't always obvious to the beginner. Do it wrong and some folks won't be to kind,and it can be very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I think he's asking how to anchor in a hog line.
Best advice get a GPS and find the hog line you would like to be in , mark it,then get there first and let everyone else anchor around you
untill you learn how.OR !! find someplace that fish pass thru and anchor there,they don't stop at hog lines they continue on up the river.You don't have to be in a hog line to catch fish.
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts