IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people are anchored up above the 205 bridge, what are they using? Diver and eggs? Kwickies? Also we tried to anchore there the other day with out success, Our anchor kept dragging. We where using a smaller rocking chair anchor with small bouy that has been working well on our drifter. Should we use our pyramid or our other Solid steel cylinder with claws.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Most people are using Kwickfish, spinners, or prawns.(straight or on a spinner set up)
Your rocking chair should hold up there if you have the right amount of rope out. It's mostly sand up there until you get up closer to the old bridge and the current is not all that strong.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Chain and enough rope. The river is'nt all that fast right up there so with the tight rocking chair anchor you should be fine. Not sure why you could'nt hold bottom, unless you were under the power lines by chinook landing, it's deep and fast there, otherwise most of the river is ok.
Another area tto watch is phoca rock, and up at the fishery area and up at bonneville. These areas require a good size rocking chair anchor with 4-6 feet of chain, a good sized bouy and 250-300' of rope. you may only have 200' out, but always have the needed length. The slighter the angle to the bottom the better the changes of holding. Above 205 is a quickie wrapped with sardine, prawn spinners, reg. spinners, alvins Mostly in fall) tolled herring, plug cut. Not to assume anything, but It's closed above 205 for chinook right now.
Take caution anchoring in deep fast water. Keep a knife handy to cut the rope if
an embergency happens.
Good luck!
GBS

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I was talking of the Willamete falls area. Figured everyone would see the topic. :grin:

We do have a 6' chain on the anchor, not sure either why we could'nt hook. Felt as if we were dragging on a paved road.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
522 Posts
I find it the willamette harder to make an anchor stick then the columbia most of the time. Something about the bottom. anchoring at the falls makes me very nervious be very carfull there.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anchored at the falls tonight, No problem. The only problem was there was no bite. Never saw a single net fly. :depressed:

Thanks for the info
CM

·
Registered
277 Posts
The first thing I was told about my rocking chair anchor was to bend the tines out so that the shaft sits at a 45 degree angle when sitting on it's tines. If your not holding at anchor it could be because your not putting out enough line or that your tines are not digging in (ie. Anchor rope length and tines at to much an angle)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Corkie,

I've fished the OC area a few times this springer season and most of the fish seem to get caught by the trollers, most recently with eggs/sand shrimp combos.

I don't see any of the guides anchored up and see quite a few of them getting fish regularly.

If you are running the boat, the trolling is definitely not a relaxing way to fish. Of course if you get fish, who cares <grin>.

I've been succesful and I've seen a couple of the guides be successful staying out of the Garbage Hole fray and other crowded regular spots and finding other areas down river.

The shallower areas with less current are great places to fish.

Brion

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We usually troll most of the time but the motor operator needs a break somtimes :grin: But my Springer season is now officially over. I must return to work Saterday up in Central WA. Have a little time before saterday, but no vehical to get me there. :depressed: Oh well, Next season and I will get to get into the Fall Chinook run on the Trask.

Thanks
CM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts