IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I am doing this wrong. I was at Fisherman's last night and asked for he zip ties, complaining that I seem to break them a lot while anchored. He said, that I am doing it wrong when I attach the chain directly to the top of my anchor with a zip tie.

I am missing something, how do you zip tie your chain to your anchor and where....

Thanks,

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If you are talking about running the chain vertically along the shank then zipping the second to last link to the ring on top of your shank, then you are absolutely right. He is wrong.

I use two or three zips when I do it. IF I just use one, it always breaks.

Tag

[ 05-08-2003, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Tagster ]

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I use 3 wraps of masons twine. Zip ties, even two of the heavy duty ones, have broken more often than not for no apparent reason, so I quit using them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
On mine, I use a large zip tie, but I double it,(two times around the link) Have had the same one on there for a couple of years. Of course I don't use my rock anchor much down here in the estuary,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Sounds like your doing it right if your doing at as tagster described.

I buy zip ties that are rated at 75lb test and have used two of them or I just do two wraps with one tie. Like Pete sometimes they come undone, but since I started double wrapping they seem to hold fine.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Two 75lb ties, also leaving a little bit of slack chain helps (like they've said above). Also make sure you are letting out enough rope before setting it. That may be part of the problem. There are also very deep, very fast spots and depending on your boat weight and size, that will effect the ties busting off too. There are spots I've always found tough to hold in, like in front of the fishery.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I use 1/8 inch nylon cord. A single zip tie breaks, especially if it's cold.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
There 75lb rated ties and 120lb rated ties. Its easy to tell the difference. I like the idea of using three 75lb ones, reason being is that you DO want them to break when needed. With three on if one breakes two will hold, but with two on, and one breaks, one generally won't hold. I also keep the chain taught to the anchor when putting the ties on.
Safe Anchoring :smile:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
All sounds good. The key is to ensure that the chain comes tight to the bottom of the anchor before it comes tight on the zip ties. Tie to the wrong link or tie too tight from the link to the top of the anchor and it will break every time. Let the chain have some room to come tight to the bottom of the anchor.

When you finish with the zip ties give the chain a tug and see if it is straight to the bottom of the anchor or straight to the zip tie/anchor top with slack below to the bottom of the anchor.

[ 05-08-2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Make sure your ties are not to tight. When you pull straight up on your anchor you should be pulling on the bottom of the anchor and not against your ties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use 75 test Sturgeon leader run around twice but with some slack.I normaly allways have it in my takle box anyway. It breaks only durring high winds and very strong current.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I got tired of constantly breaking off zip ties, cord, and whatever I could tie the chain off with.
This would usually happen during the anchoring process.

I now have my anchor chain connected with a metal collar so it can't come off. I have had no problems with breaking my anchor free from the bottom so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts