IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good reason to spend $40 on the anchor pulley(EZ) or is the $15 one as usable? It looks like a simple unit- any experience with either?

Also- I have the smallest size river anchor- does the anchor determine the size of the buoy needed or is it the speed of the current you will likely be anchoring in? Thanks for any advice- Jim

Oh yeah, I have a 16' Smoker, Lodge Series (very light boat)

[ 07-29-2003, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: trollin4trout ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I use the cheaper one and it has worked great for about 6 years! I really wasn't trying to save money, but I thought the nylon/plastic model would do less damage to the boat than the metal EZ pull, when it came time to haul the whole shabang over the gunnels each day.

So far...no complaints.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have both type pullers and I like the $15.00 one best. You can control that one with one hand.
I use the other one on my 300ft sturgeon rope and it works fine also. The ball size I have on my 23# anchor is about 13" in diameter. It floats the anchor up with no problems.
As far as advice DON'T use this in hoglines where the boats are close to each other. There you should pull by hand so you don't snag your neighbors anchor rope by pulling with your motor.I have heard many heated words when a rookie tries to pull with his motor and snags or cuts anothers anchor rope.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You need enough buoy to float your anchor, bigger buoy’s will pull the anchor easier, the EZ puller takes less hp to pull the anchor in heavy current like up at the fishery. If you are planning on fishing around the fishery I would recommend upgrading the size of your anchor and getting a big float. I have seen many of the smaller floats get pulled under when you release to chase a fish in heavy current just search the archives for lost anchors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts