IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UNREEL and I spent the last three days at Freds Marina and had a blast. Nice to see you KINGFISHER. Fish the channel tues with nada but the weather was great, so out comes the sturgeon gear. Had a hey day out at the honey hole :dance: . Wens. was just as nice at Davis bar, we went two for four. NOW I'm going to vent a little.
As long as we have been fishing Davis, it has always been mostly a trolling show. Don't get me wrong, we anchor fish alot. But NOT in the middle of trollers. I'm really hoppin mad about this and really bitting my tongue right now. If they really have the nerve why noy anchor in the middle of the trollers at the channel head. I'd like to be there to see who fires the first shot.
Thanks, that's off my chest now and I can go on with work.
any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I totally agree with you. It's been a troll fishery since my grandfather fished it years ago. If it's an established area for a certain method of fishing whether it be trolling,anchor,or bank fishing, respect that and leave it that way. Just try throwing your anchor in front of some bank fisherman and see what you get.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Gents-

Keep in mind that just because it was always done a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way it will ever be... just because we are creatures of habit doesn't make it right...

My granddad used to fish with dynamite, aren't we all glad that is no longer legal!!!

Try somewhere new, I was marking fish all through the river yesterday....

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The only problem is that is one of the only places to troll on the columbia, unless you go down to astoria. There are plenty of places to anchor above and below davis bar. Nice to meet you too UNREEL. We went 2 for 2. :dance:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have fish all around this area now for about 25 years. Every spot that I ever fished has changed.
I am not happy about it but that is the way it is.

More boats, more fishermen and women, more techniques. We just need to adapt and be a little flexable.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up 4reel. I was also very disapointed last sat. to find this a heavily anchored area. Especially the hogline at the piling. This TOTALLY messes up the trolling pattern on the downstream turn that has always existed there. I know, I know, it is a free river and people can fish it as they wish, but this means that 5-6 boats are fishing a spot that 50 used to troll through on a nice pattern. If people disagree with my complaint then I guess that means I can just go ahead and anchor at the tip of Coon Island. Yeah right, I don't think I need lead that bad. I did manage a georgeous 20+ lb. native so life was not all bad. I will continue to give everyone room and troll a wide pattern around you, because I don't want to mess up your day, I am courteous, life is short and I plan on fishing with the lead that's in my box. Have a great weekend everyone.
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 04-11-2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Try anchor fishing 20 yds off the point at the Wind River on a Saturday and see how long your time on earth lasts. If you want to anchor please just tie up or anchor next to a wind dam or other obstacle if most people are trolling and fish straight down. Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Unless someone has fished an area for years,how are you to know it's not ok to anchor up especially when there are boats already in a hog line?No one complained to those in the hog lines.I saw at least 4 hog lines there in the last week(I was up near the barges).Should there be signs put up explaining this is a trolling area only?What if it's a quickfish show and trolling isn't working? :shrug:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've fished there for 40 years and have ALWAYS trolled-even with a Kwikfish! Have caught a lot more fish when covering more ground too! Hog lines seem like a "lazy" way to fish to me. I like to "fish"- not sit and drink beer or BS all day. I think I'd just as soon sit on the bank with my Reeder Rod and a bell! You have a nice day!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not Talking about up by the barges, down below the wing dam or out to the deeper side.
I am miffed with the inconsiderate people that are right smack dab in the middle. It's so darn obvious, I just don't get it.
Thurs. morning we were the very first boat there. When about five more showed up to troll the sixth plunked right smack center stage. Before you know it---HOG LINE. The only way around was 12' of water or 40'. Our target has always been 20-25'. They will say "we're giving you enough room to go inbetween". Right, just wait till you hook up a fish or you have some wind and wave action happening.
WOW...seems like I just can't shake this!
Let's just get along and think of other people.

[ 04-11-2003, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: 4 REEL ]

·
Registered
709 Posts
That is a good point Labsforme. If you had not fished there much or ever, you would have thought, "jeez, I better anchor up around here" If I go to a new spot, I try to observe for a while and blend in to the pattern. Davis bar lately, would be a hard call. May your rods double over and your grins be large!
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Seems to me that there are two ways to handle this probelm. Either give them the death-ray stink-eye when they anchor in your trolling hole or go over and talk to them when they first start getting the anchor going and try to explain that historically this is a trolling area. Point out the hogging area and be nice.

Nah....go with the stink-eye.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
where exactly is davis bar? i'm new to the whole anchor fishing thing for salmon and it never occurred to me that i may be parking in the middle of someones road. from your discription with the barges and wing dam i may be guilty. im pretty sure there are fish above and below where i have been fishing. so no big deal. i can park elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for being concerned. Ireally wish there were more fishermen like you.
While traveling out the Willamette river, It would be dead across the Columbia. Straight over to the Washington side. Barges on the right, wing dam down river to the left. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
YUP!! thats where i've been fishin. i thought it was frenchmans, but now im thinkin frenchmans is down stream from there with all the bankers. i was thinkin about it, and a couple times yesterday trollers trolled by and i asked how they were doing and they seemed less than friendly. now i know why. oh well....i did get a fish. live and learn.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good job on the fish H20DOG
. You are right as Frenchmans is just below with all the nice blue mansions.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You know, I really like the way this just worked out.

You two should negotiate peace in the Middle East!

Krue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts