IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 9ft pontoon boat with an anchor pully setup. Does anyone have a recommended anchor type, weight and rope length? Are there any othe assessory I should consider before hitting the river, besides a life vest.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Use a wad of tire chain. It doesn't get stuck as easily as a lead anchor.

I heard people talking about 15 pounds for pontoon boats but my experience is that 15 lb. isn't nearly enough. I use a chain anchor on my 10' pontoon that is about 27lbs. That is probably too much for your 9' -- I don't know. Maybe 20-23lb. would be Ok -- get other opinions.

Be careful about anchoring in current that is too fast -- the back of your boat can go under water and then your anchor starts using your boat like it is a diving plug.

Use thick rope so that your hands don't get chewed up when you are pulling anchor. 3/8" is good. 5/16" is ok. Try to get the same kind of weave on the rope as what the drift boats use. It doesn't hurt as much when you are pulling smaller diameters. I am thinking about using gloves for pulling anchor on my bigger pontoon boat because my hands get chewed up a lot. I don't know how heavy my anchor is for that boat.

To me pontoon boats seem to have more drag than drift boats because it seems easier for them to turn and spin when anchored. It helps to use the bank side oar as a rudder. Take the river side oar out of the water.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts