IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to post this earlier. G.I. Joes is clearing out ALL SIZES of the Ambassaduer Eon reels for $39.99. They were selling the same reels for $100 earlier in the season. Get them while they last.

D.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Would these reels be ideal for steelheading with very light tackle? Ive got a few baitcasters I should retire (bantams that are not made any more) Looking for a star drag reel that will cast a shrimp and split shot with ease.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cirrhosis-of-the-river,

I have no idea about the light tackle issue. The drag is a larger knob where the star knob should be. Easy to operate. They seemed like a great deal for anyone who needed a baitcaster.

D.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i think those eons also use planetary gears instead of normal gears..it would be intresting to see how well they work
t

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used one for a season. It was a great reel, but had some reliability issues with the levelwind. It could have just been the one I had.

Blade

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
These are a closeout as the factory will no longer be producing the EON reels.

COR,

What Bantams do you have? I am betting you could likely sell them in a heartbeat as many people would like to have them.

I worked with the Shimano Rep. for the region yesterday and he was telling me the biggest complaint they get at the factory is the fact they no longer make the Bantams.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I second the nomination of excremental status. Handled one at a show and it felt like a plastic rough piece of you know what that would shatter if you looked at it wrong. Right up there with Abu thumb tab plastic freespool buttons. Garbage!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The pro staff at the counter said that the "new" look and style just didn't sell, Joe's thought that they would take off and bought allot of them, but the sales didn't support the product. If you look at the Abu Garcia web page there is a new "Pro" series.

http://www.abu-garcia.com/home.cfm
(IMO) Joe's will be buying up the new series and promoting this "Pro" line-up.
But then again I don't know anything about sales and marketing. :wink:

P.S. Has Abu Garcia put out on the market a bad product within the last 10 or 20 years?
I've only been fishing for 5 years now and seem to like what they have to offer.
Thanks.
B.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Chuck-n-Duck & Dr. Strangelove- is that why I'm having backlash issues with these reels???

The jury is still out on them cause I really havn't made a decent attempt to fiddle with them but now you got me wondering!

Will they be regulated to trolling only????

Full Freezer

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
1. I never fished with an Eon so I can't tell your how they cast. Never got past the sound of grinding plastic playing with the drag.

2. Regarding the EON PRO - for a MSRP of $420 you would have to be smoking pot (420) to be loose headed enough to buy one when you could have two rainshadow rods with 5500's on them spooled with power pro for the same money.

How many people do you know that fish with a Shimano Stella? My point proved.

[ 07-03-2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had only two Eons brought in for service, but I think that's because they haven't proven to be a popular reel. It's a product of the takeover of Abu by the Pure Fishing conglomerate. The InfiniSpool unit is amazing as far as free spool performance goes, and it has a much more attractive finish (carbon fiber look) that they older blue/grey ones. Still, levelwinds have been an ongoing issue, and people have resorted to all sorts of fixes to remedy the situation. But loyal Abu customers have spoken, and there is lots of new product coming out that is based on the older style metallic reels, and they are more attractive than ever with some nice detail work, particularly in the larger sized units. Halibut, here we come!

Al

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'd steer clear of these reels. They got great reviews. I bought a LH model when they first came out, didn't like it, sold it to another Ifisher, and he had problems with the retrieve catchin'.

He sent it back to me. I returned his check, and I sent the reel back to the factory under warranty. I asked Abu if they could send a RH model, at my expense. To their credit, they sent me a new RH Eon at no cost.

The same problem my fellow ifisher described with the retrieve occurred the first time I used it.

Warranty has expired, and it's now in the dead reel bin....

I use and like Abu's alot! I have C4 6500's and love 'em..... the Eon, not so Much! Just MHO...... Tim

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Albany Joe's had no idea what I was talking about. They were not on closeout there. They are very 'plastic' looking anyway imo

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
i have one in a 5501 and think it is junk,

* it does not have a very good drag
* the free spool button sticks down
* i wish level wind system would follow the line when you cast it (like the C-3s C-4s C-5s)
* too many plastic parts like the reel seat

This is just my opinion and noticed all of these problems with the frist two weeks of use now it sits in the basement with other reel parts I will never use it again Just My $0.02

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Well, I was thinking about getting one and taking it up to Alaska with me this next week but I don't think it would last. Sounds like a good reel :wink:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Albany GI Joes has all EONS for 39.88. They are not adverstised, nor do most of the staff know anything about it. I purchsed a 6601 for closeout price and they have a few of each model left. The sale price just rings up when you buy it.

-Blade

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got one at the Joe's in L.O. they have a pile of them in 3 sizes L and R hand I picked up the 6601 with a new IM7 rod. :wink:

Look out fish here I come!!! :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts