IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About what time did they start making the left hand models?? What model #s?? I would like to something used for salt fishing and it doesnt have to be anything special........so im thinking one of the older left hand reels might be the ticket :smile:
thanks for any info

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The first ones I remember were the old 5001 and 6001's, The black ones. They came around in the 80's I think. Still are some of my favorite reels, bare bones and durable.

[ 06-04-2003, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: firedog ]

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I have a 5001 that I bought in about '83, so at least then.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
All I use are 5001c & 6001c's. I have 5 of them and have only had one restored so far. I use them daily (or as close to as I can). Got mine in '84 & 85 and are great reels. You can get them off Ebay from 60 to 90 dollars depending on condition. (that's more than I paid for mine!!)

Good luck

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
We have several of um' also. They are great and durable.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
I've got a 5001C that I bought from a guy off E-bay and I love it! Only had it about 5 months, but i've sure used the heck out of it so far. It seems like it's a great reel and i've had no problems with it so far!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Actually you've got a lot of options in the Ambassadeurs. I won't extol the virtues of the reel as others have done so better than I can, but I will say that they are infinitely rebuildable and hold their value better than most.
I would suggest that you take a look at the 5501 and 6501 series reels. These are a bit smoother than the 5001/6001 reels due to additional bearings in the spool and levelwind. If you want a *really* nice reel, find yourself a 6501 C4 (four ball bearings) or 5601(thumb bar release) C4 and go get 'em!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've got six of them and I'm still using the one my dad gave to me in 1979 or 80. I have never even oiled that reel and it works great. I will never use any other reel, period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts