IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is when you fish Alvins in 50 ft. of water what do the fish see, Sunny day compared to cloudy days, I think the movement(vibrations) from the Alvin is what makes the fish strike,like tuning it so it wabbles more or spins more, or can a Salmon actually see colors down this deep in the water. what are some of the Ifish guides, and others opinions as to movement compared to color..Thanks.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

[ 08-26-2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Sturgeon 42 ]

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
alvins shouldnt spin.....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our alvins spin and we caught 16 last year between myself and my wife in three weeks...If you put your alvin in the water and pull on it real hard you will see they do spin in hard current even more if you tune them.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

G

·
They fish just fine right out of the package.

Baitfish motion and silhouette, with some flash on a blue sky day? Scent if you add it? What colors would show beyond twenty feet in low light anyway?

Blue, Chart and White maybe?

Rick

[ 08-26-2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree ****** my wife fishes them straight out of the package tells me to NOT touch them....Myself I like messing with them... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
238 Posts
You can't argue with success!!! If you are catching fish then by all means keep doing what your doing. Last year we caught all our fish tuning Alvins based on the current speed. As the tide continued to go out and speed up you needed to readjust you Alvin so it was wobbling at about 30 to 45 degrees from flat in the water. As a matter of fact when you have it tuned right when you pull it through the water it basically stays flat and does not spin at all. That's the technique I've seen many others using with great success. If you are not getting bite you might want to try it to see if your luck changes for that day. As far as color goes I try to have several different colors with me and I pay attention to who's catching fish and what they are using. Personally I think boat position and where you are anchoring is more important. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
You can also jump from Alvins to Clancy's to 10 spots as the current indicates...as long as the lure "looks right"

My $.02

P.S. I'm no bioligist but I think they see color & movement, maybe not the same way we do, but they do.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ok, i have heard of tuning alvins for a slow wobble but I have to ask how this is done. It may say on the package but I never have my reading glasses with me on the boat. Package goes to the trash.
Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
There should be a crease in the middle of the Alvin with the bottom corner panels having bends in them. You tune it by bending the Alvin in the middle either in or or out depending on what action you want. Play around with it a bit when you are out on the river next time and you should get the hang of it. You don't have to bend them much to get a dramatic change in the action. The first time someone showed me I didn't think there was enough wobble but then we started hammering them and I was a believer. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If the Alvins do need tuning, it doesn't take much,IMHO. I caught a couple of URB's last year on them at the tail end of the run!

Dipnet :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts