IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to fish alvins/wobblers from the bank? If so what is the best way to rig this setup?

Nobody to fish with tonight, and I'm to much of a chicken to take my little boat out by myself.

Was thinkin of trying frenchmans......

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Okay..here's your answer.

run your mainline through a slider and then through a bead to protect the knot and tie on a barrel swivel. attach a 12 inch dropper to a swivel and hook on a 12 to 14 oz weight onto the slider.
Next tie on 5 feet of leader to the barrel swivel at the end of the mainline you just tied.
slip the 5 foot leader through a slip bobber that has a tappered design and another bead to protect your knot and another barrel swivel. The tappered bobber is to help with resistance in the current and to help keep the alvin or wobbler off the bottom.
Next attach another leader 18" to 24" in length and tie on the Alvin etc.
Thats it...Now cast it up river 30 feet or so and the current will carry it down as it sinks letting it rest pretty close to in front of you.
Good luck.
Will edit with pic shortly...You will need a 10 foot to 15 foot rod rated somewhere in 15 to 30 or 20 to 50 to cast this set-up.

[ 08-28-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
FShKLR, great sketch and idea. I will also have ot try that one. This is one of those tips that makes Ifish such a great site. Good fishing to you and thanks.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Try a red/white or gold Spin-N-Glo with a prawn, tied just like you would tie a spinner prawn, 'cept it floats. Works great!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yes. People do it all the time off Meldrum Bar for springers. The way I've seen it done is to use the 'slider' technique. You know, cast the lead out and then use a clip-swivel to clip the Alvin leader on the mainline and let the current move the lure out to the fishing spot. Just make sure you have a stopper on the mainline set at the right height for the wobbler. I am sure there is a fine art to this and some things you have to watch for (deep water, enough current to move the lure), but I've never done it myself.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts