IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K.,I'm getting old but I don't remember how long a lead line or leader,I used for these wobblers the last few years.I Know ,I know the first thing to go is your mind.I think its 5 & 5
is that right ???? HELLLLP :hoboy:
Bob

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think it is more a personal preference. I like to use a long leader, up to 7 feet. I feel the longer the leader, the more natural action the wobbler/bait/plug will have. Anything to give me an edge over the other hundred boats on the river! I see many boats land plenty of fish on short leaders though!

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
Like Hooker said, I think there's a lot of personal preference. You see folks using 4'x4' and 5'x5'.

Around Frenchmans bar area, we typically rig 50"leadline and 60" leader.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I'm with Hooker...Long leaders, especially with Kwikfish.

I've seen guys use 6'+ on their droppers especially when the current is really moving and you have to bounce way back...My $.02

Right now unless your monofilament is in a 9" mesh pattern :mad: ,your going to have a tough time with Chinook..... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I use/ well should i say was going to use a slider with a 12" dropper my 2oz lead then my fish flash then 6' cut plug riggin for trolling should i put more length on my dropper or does it really matter?

·
Registered
740 Posts
For trolling, I wouldn't worry too much about a long dropper length. A longer dropper is better if you are anchored up to keep your lure in the strike zone. :laugh:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I fish 5'x5'. Sometimes will go 4' leader when it's a little slow and I'm trying some thing different.

Chris

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
DH I would say that is about right. Sometimes I like a little longer leader :cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Caught fish on 5x5, 4x4 and 3x3. Mixing up leader/dropper can also produce. Sometime being 1' off won't hurt you, but being 2' off will. Others it doesn't matter as long as you are in the fish. :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I like to have different leader lengths tide up with clasp all ready to go what I found is varying the length keeps that certain action Im looking for on my lures as the river current picks up or slows down esprcially in the Columbia has proven to keep our bites going when I see it slow down for a lot of other boaters!!!PEACE

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Last nook I got was on 30" dropper and 40" leader, this means very little but now I have 1000 posts :dance: (man I need a life) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I go 5' leader and just a tick under for drop. Just to keep the 10 ounce ball from knocking the alvin out. :shrug: Seems to work very well for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can tell you that around Gov. Island for the last 6 years I found that a 6 & 6 did the best of any other length on my boat. The keys was to walk it back, way back. I seem to do better the further I get back from the boat. General rule, when you think you back far enough, go farther. If you sit without anything happening for more than an hour, go back more

·
Registered
254 Posts
I feel it depends on a few variables, depth, current strength,light conditions, and if you are fishing on a decline or a incline.
I use 6' leader with 5' droper, this also makes it easier to net the fish with the longer leader even if you use a slider. I feel that differnt strength of tides makes the hot hole change slightly in or out? Well thats is my .02 cents. :shrug: Don't forget about the coyotees!
Good luck.
tip :grin:

[ 08-09-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: tipndwater ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone,I've been fishing with these things for the last few years and done very well but for some reason I couldn't remember the length's.I hope nothing else goes like my memory
has. :hoboy: :shrug:
Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts