IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's get ready to R U M B L E ! ! !

I know everyone is sold on Alvin's. Frankly, so am I. However, I was in a hog-line last year next to a guy fishing a lure that I hadn't seen before, and he was killin em! Actually, he got about 4 times as many bites as anyone else in the line of approx 8 boats, but he kept trying to set the hook on the first little tugs, so I think he went about 0/8.

Anyway, I found the lure. It's called a "Simon", and it's made by a guy in Columbia City, OR. They have been selling them at several of the little stores in Scappoose and St. Helens recently, and I finally saw them at Fisherman's a couple of weeks ago.

We went 0/4 with 3 rods this weekend, but two of the four bites were on the new Simon (one was on a blue/chrome Alvin, one was on a gold #6 colorado blade with green beads that I tried because the two alvins weren't producing). Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have tried the Simon. Success stories?

One of the advantages to the Simon is that you don't have to worry about color selection. They are all silver, but they come with 3 colors of reflective tape so that you can customize them.

The one thing that I'm not sure of is the hooks. They come with good quality treble hooks (Gami's?), but I am pretty sold on the siwash type hooks on the Alvins. I may change the hooks on a couple and see how next weekend goes.

Any feedback? Also, what's Fishklr's new mystery lure? Will he sell them to a "gear-geek" like me?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Fishklr's new lure is called Theodore. So you have Simon, Theodore and Alvin. They make mischief in your tacklebox and burst into song. Good idea for a cartoon series, eh? :cheers:

gb

[ 09-08-2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: graybeard ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Hey Graybeard, where have you been? I've missed giving you a bad time about being from Gaston!! I see you're in Longview now.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I've heard of the trouble with Theodore, Alvin, and Simon. But technology comes to the rescue with a product called "Dave". :wink: Supposedly usefull, Dave can be a bit irritating-a bit loud. :tongue:
Not positive on that product name, but the old gray cells keep popping up that name.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey Dipnet :grin: I had to get outa Gaston, it was getting to "big city" for me. So I sold the ranch and the dust is finally starting to settle here in Washington. Longview is just temporary till our home gets built on the Elochoman River. Hey, you can buy riverfront property over here for cheep. New boat, new home, new stretch of river. Retirement is good. :dance:

gb

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
It's not a Theodore, or a Dave...and to protect myself I am being very tight lipped about design, name etc. Looking to get things worked out for next spring!
As for the Simon.. used it once and never banged a fish, and we all know Alvins do catch fish.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
SHHHHH! Dangit! Pete went to Fisherman's to get me the last of 400 Simons that have been selling like hot cakes.
I wanted to use it as my "carrot" lure on Thursday.

Dang you! Now the secret simon is out!

:grin:

Well, it was news to me, anyhow!

Jen

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
This is a good, funny thread but you know what?

Just this thread alone is going to boost the sales of Simon lures like crazy (what ever they are) and one day someone is going to go to thier favorite shop and all of a sudden they will not find Simon where he normally hangs and then we will read "how come Hinky's Bait and Beer" is so stupid he can't keep Simon hanging on the peg when I need him!?!?!?!?!

Just another variable that affects sales of tackle and the ability of the industry to stay on top of trends and hot items.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
What I think is funny is that the carrot crew is probably too young to even get these jokes. it's old fart humor time... :grin:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Graybeard, glad things are going good for you in your retirement. :cool: I don't know WHY anyone would move away from Gaston, though!! :whazzup: Only 469 days and counting and I'll be retired!!! :dance: :dance:

And yes, I am an old fart and I know exactly what you're saying SH :smile: !!

Dipnet :grin:

[ 09-09-2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Dipnet ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
And to think just 12yrs ago you couldn't catch a thing without a corn wobbler.

·
Registered
17,015 Posts
In the interest of boosting Columbia County's economy - the kayak shop (pretty sure it's not called- "Hinky's Bait and Beer" :wink: ) at Scappoose Bay's marina has an "simons for sale" hung on it

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I went to Fisherman I picked up just one Simon. I thought it would be neat to decorate it how I wanted it. I left a bag with 6 Alvins on the table for Rustyl and took off to go watch football. When I returned home hubby had decorated MY Simon himself. If I would have known he was interested in the Simon I would have purchased him his very own.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've used all three of the above mentioned lures before and I must say....

They put out a mean christmas album.

:grin: :dance: :grin:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My father has used Simons for a long time. He likes em, but we have noticed the catches on alvins are about the same.

Blue does not work,,,ever... buy yellow and purple :grin: :wink:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by garyk:
In the interest of boosting Columbia County's economy - the kayak shop (pretty sure it's not called- "Hinky's Bait and Beer" :wink: ) at Scappoose Bay's marina has an "simons for sale" hung on it
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Wasn't it the Chipmonks that sang the jingle for Hinky's Bait and Beer???? :whazzup: :grin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts