IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I will be picking up an older aluminum boat that has been sitting outdoors for some time. The paint, below the water line, is pretty rough. Also, the aluminum has oxidized some. I'm looking for suggestions for how to inexpensively remove the paint and restore the aluminum surface (e.g., sandblasting, sanding etc.). Any suggestions?

ORS

·
Registered
602 Posts
To remove the paint use mythylene chloride this stuff removes paint like a charm and is safe to use on aluminum.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Klean Strip Aircraft Remover. It is a paint remover you can buy in auto paint supply stores. It is made for removing paint from airplanes(hence the name). Airplane aluminum is a lot thinner than boat so shouldn't hurt a boat. You can get it in aerosol or brush on. Just ask the sales people. The aerosol can I purchased has a blue label. I bought it to remove paint off a propeller. It does a great job on removing the paint. Don't know is it will do anything about oxidation though.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I use Flitz to clean up aluminum, and Sharkhide to keep it that way. The Flitz requires a bit of rubbing, but it's pretty amazing stuff.

It's always fun to see an old boat come back to life. Good luck with your project, but don't let it keep you off the rivers too long. :grin:

Skein

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All! It's actually a neat little boat. Once I get ahold of it, I will post pics. Should be a fun project for me and my boys.

ORS

·
Registered
236 Posts
Where can you get the Flitz? I have a boat that is a year old and looks awefull, too many trips to the water. I would like to get it cleaned and then use sharkhide. Are there any other cleaners that are better than Flitz?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I think you can get Flitz in most automotive sections at places like Joe's or BiMart, as well as at marine shops like Fisherman's, Englund's, etc. The sharkhide you have to order, but a quart goes a long way.

Skein

[ 10-19-2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: skein ]

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 20 ft AW Intruder, will a quart of sharkhide do it? And how much Flitz should I get? I want to get enough to do the whole job without having to stop and go get more.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Yes, one quart of sharkhide will more than do your boat. It's a one-coat system, so you don't have to double your application. In fact, the second coat usually just dissolves the first coat, so there is nothing to be gained by applying more.

As for the Flitz, it's hard to tell. One little tube goes a long way, but it really depends on the condition of the boat and the quality of the rags or polishing pad you use. I got a bundle of white hand towels from Costco and went through quite a few before I was done - maybe more than I needed to. The Flitz itself is about $5 a tube, with a tube being about the size of your middle finger.

Skein

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
For your paint removal. Go to your nearest paint shop and buy a gasllon of JASCO Paint Stripper. I stripped the paint off of my old driftboat with it and it worked great. Make sure you protect yourself. It will burn you if it contacts your skin.

When I started the project I

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I forgot to mention that I hand rubbed 1/2 my boat with some cheap "Mothers Aluminum & Mag Polish" that I'd had around 3-4 years in my barn.

It did a decent job considering I was rubbing with a cloth and not feeling all that energetic. Would have worked great with a buffer. I little container would do my 14' Gregor 2 times maybe 3.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts