IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What preventative measures can I take to slow down the corrosive effects of saltwater against aluminum? I've got a new aluminum jet boat and I'm planning to do some limited time on the salt. I know that electrolysis is a major problem. Thanks for the advice.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
First off, keep the zincs in good shape. You can treat the hull with either a wax or a more permantent coating like Sharkhide. When you're done, clean inside and out thoroughly with fresh water. A little soap will make the cleaning more complete.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm...here's a dumb question...where would i find the zinc on my boat? where are they usually?

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
Probably attached to the motor. It will be grey and appear replaceable by removing a couple screws or a small bracket.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's also a good Idea to flush the motor or motors in fresh water soon after leaving the salt

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Aluminum is more of a problem is it is left in for long periods of time- being moored in salt near electricity of some sort usually is the big problem. I will run mine down on day trips and not sweat it too much. Just wash her off when you get done and dunk the bearings a few times. Add some fresh grease and you should be good to go.

Keta is a whiz bang guy here on the funny ways of salt.

Mark and the well grounded dog.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Remove any "stainless steel" such as tow hooks, snaps, bolts etc. From my experience that is the source of most problems.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I've decided to never moor my boat in the salt. Day trips are OK and follow the above advise. No problems.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I thought I was very good at maintaining my alum boat after it came out of salt water, which it fishes in about 80% of the time. I just got it out of the shop and got handed a pretty steep bill for repairs and replacement of heavily corroded parts.
I will now be even more vigilant about my wash downs and in getting lubricants in places I didn't know even exsisted.

Zincs are probably the most important part of maintaining your boat in salt water, seconded by a complete wash down with fresh water when it comes out.

SD

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I used ride waverunners out on the ocean at Pacific City. We found this stuff called I think called "salt away" it comes with an attachment for a garden hose. Anyway, you spray down your boat with this stuff and it supposedly neutralizes the salt. I use it in the engine bay as well and NEVER had any corrosion and I used to get water in the engine bay all the time

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
add more zinc !!!!

you can buy various shapes and sizes and either weld or bolt them to the boat (weld is better). I have a chunk the size of a big dinner steak welded on near the transducer, wouldnt hurt to add another one or two.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Be VERY Carefull not to have ANY copper on your boat. If someone drops a peeny on the deck and it goes un noticed..It will eat a hole through your boat

CAPT KUJO

manufacturer of Alum military boats

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I heard you show spray and whipe the hull surface with WW40? Just what I heard for bare alum. Mine is painted and I just wash and wax.

[ 04-29-2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts