IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always kind of liked to look af the Alumaweld C-Dory but also curious why they stopped making them. Ive seen a couple for sale lately and was wondering if anyone has any info on the way they handle the water. There must be a reason Alumaweld stopped making them.

Im going to assume they pitch around some but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
13,822 Posts
Maybe they did not sell enough of them.

It is just busines.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I had an 18' 89 Sea Dory that I ran for about 5 years. When I bought it, it had a center console with a Merc Classic 50 on it. Shortly after I pulled the console out and put a 115 with a pump and tiller on it. It was a great boat in fact I am still kicking myself in the butt for selling it. It handled real good in smooth water or small chop. In big Columbia wind waves it would beat the crap out of you. (After all it is a flat bottom boat) It was a great shallow water boat. There wasn't a whole lot of water that I wouldn't feel comfortable in in that boat. In fact I even had it out on the ocean a few times.

By the way it is not C-dory. It is Sea Dory. :smile:

If I could find another 18 - 20 footer I would have a hard time not buying it.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
It has been about 8 years since I sold it. If I remember correctly I sold it for around $5000.00. It had a blown up motor.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hey W A N G,
The nasty word filter won't let me spell your moniker. :shrug:

[ 08-18-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Nope. I think I posted to that thread giving my 2 cents on the quality of those boats.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I have an 18' Sea Dory and like it a lot. I think they quit making them because they wanted to concentrate on the high end V sleds and the much more affordable Intruder and Stryker.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I owned the "red Sled", an 18' Sea Dory, for almost a dozen years. I loved the boat. For an in essence flat bottom boat it did well even at Bouy 10 because it had caomparatively high freeboard. I used to fish the rips down there and water would churn right up to the back corners but never felt unsafe.

Like Tanner, when I bought it slightly used from Stevens it had a console and I had them yank it out. Made for a lot of room.

One thing about them, though, While seaworthy, they are a WET ride! The slightest chop or wind and the rain gear was out. The way the front is shaped just brings water right into the Captain's chest (and over the passenger on the windward side). I would wear full rain gear on nice days. But if you know that, and are willing to deal with it, it is a great boat.

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
As Keta said, I like mine, alot! It is a 17.5 with a 90 Yamaha pump.

However, as Hogmaster noted, it is a wet ride in much chop or whitewater but if you are aware and prepared, it is no problem.

It fishes great, tracks very well and is the perfect size for the Rogue. I have had it outside off of Brookings bottom fishing and felt very secure.

I too have wondered why they quit making them.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Very wet, very rough, good free board, very flat, pretty heavy. I had an 18' center consol for 7 yrs.

Got my Willie Predator. I haven't had to have any fillings replaced since. I thought it was an interesting concept of dual purpose that didn't work well at either rivers or ocean.

JMP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts