IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Flatlander
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a good altimeter, a GPS granularity is not good enough. I want to get slope data on a new property and would like to get relative elevation change across it.

what are good altimeters and their resolution?

thanks! Gus

· Flatlander
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I know the it is based on barometric pressure.. but relative is all i need. I don't have to know absolute.. just on a given day (with in an hour) what is the delta.. I am only ranging this over a 100 foot elevation change or so. Yes a rope and a plumb works... dont' want to do it that way, too long, no time and too much to do.

gus

· Registered
17,451 Posts
My Rino 530 has a altimeter/barometer in it? Where are we talking? GPS is plus or minus 10% does it need to be more accurate than that? Is it already covered my USGS maps?

· Administrator
40,978 Posts
I googled "altimeter accuracy" and found several good discussions on the subject. I think the bottom line is that you can expect anything you can afford (yes, even you! ;) ) is accurate +/- 20 meters. If you're measuring a 100 foot range, an altimeter isn't the tool you want.

· Flatlander
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even me huh.. well that sounds like a challenge.. 2nd mortgage and I am going to find something that will do it:crazy:

I put my BOE hat on.. you know the aluminum cone, and got to thinking how to do it another way.. and I think you are right on with the plumb and level. Just got to find a way to get BOE to think it is his idea and then we will just go do it for me to show how smart he is..

the lot we are looking at has a house site punched out.. I am trying to get the lay of the land so I know where I am going to build my shop for boat, and all the other toys i can afford :D ,now is that 100'x100' shop or do i need to go bigger :dance: !?

gus

· Registered
9,675 Posts
Have it surveyed maybe? I have a inclinometer, it give you slope, that and a tape measure will give you vertical distances within a few percent. Its pretty precise, pretty close to survey quality, handy for measuring the height of trees. Has optic and a spirit level built in, could be 40 years old.

Can't you rent survey tools, like a transit and chains or a theodilite?

If you would like to borrow the inclinometer swing by, it s simple and fits in a holster.

· Registered
3,680 Posts
Don't they rent laser levels and rods? It's the fast/accurate way to get differences in elevation. Pretty easy to setup/use (some are even self-leveling).

I could ask at work if you can borrow the robotic total station ($30k+), but I already know what the answer would be :laugh:

· Registered
9,675 Posts
CB, I would love to take you up on that.. I return for another visit 9/2 for a week or so.. so I will send you a PM to sync with you ok?

thanks! gus
Sounds good, I work by St, Johns. I have a hillside in Astoria and it really helped get an idea of what will work. I will call in a surveyor/geologist and contractor to do the final design and site work. Its a really steep site.

Now to find the little rascal...yep found it, i think its a Deitz, handy when you want to know what you are going to smash when you fall a tree, bought it from the state of Oregon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.