IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any other materials to replace wood decking? What about a composite material like Trex? Stronger then wood, light weight..

Any thoughts?

Need to clarify; this is for a boat application deck replacment. not a house deck.

[ 08-06-2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: BASKETT ]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go with the Trex - I have used it in a few different applications from decking to docks and had nothing but great success. We have a deck at the coast that is 16X40 and I love not having to mess with stains and protectant, plus it looks great.
It is a little more expensive but I think it is worth it. You have zero maintenance, it does not get slippery, moss won't grow on it, and it won't rot. It is really great to work with also, a carbide blade on a skill saw or chop saw cuts through it like a hot knife in butter.

I won't put down any decking other than trex anymore.

FOD

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have to agree with FOD regarding likeing Trex. I also have a deck both at home in Portland and at the coast. They have held up well. My only caution is that you should support the deck slats on I believe 16" center to center underlayment as the Trex is a bit flexible. I walk on it bare foot and do not have to worry about slivers or maintenance other than an occasional pressure wash.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just installed over 800 sqft of rino decking in Spokane. I liked it, easy to work with. You do have to support it on 16 inch centers. Just stay away from any of the hollow core decking, too much expansion and contraction.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'll second the Trex suggestion. After staining my deck for the 5th time I tore it out and replaced with Trex. Very good product and has been around for a while now. I don't think you would be dissappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts