IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm anchored up on the Willamette yesterday. The guy next to me (we were the only ones in the spot) pulls up to leave. Now, he has his anchor puller out just like everyone else, but starts to pull the line by hand. I'm thinking, "Good, finally someone willing to do it that way" because that's how I usually do it anyway and we were only in 20 ft of water. Anyhow, he breaks the anchor free, and then I guess planned on walking it around to the side to pull it into the boat. What ended up happening was his bow turned downstream and the anchor rope slipped out of his hands, then the anchor hooked and he ended up hooked to the bottom stern upstream. I thought he was going under, but the boat popped back up. He cleated it off, then fired up the motor. He then proceeded to BACK the boat upstream against the puller. Just when I thought he had it, his motor died. He drifted back down, got the motor going, and did it again. He had almost got the anchor up when he drifted across the anchor line and wound it up in the prop. Luckily, the anchor broke free of the bottom when this happened, or he would have been in big trouble. He did manage to get the anchor in and unwound shortly after. I was pulling up anyway, so went after him to see if he need a push to shore to deal with it.

I guess he was pretty lucky. The water wasn't that fast, or he probably wouldn't have been as lucky, then again, he may have behaved differently too. Even still, he was making me nervous, I really wasn't up for a rescue.

Moral is, be CAREFUL OUT THERE.....
Something like this happens, just chuck the rope and come back. His was wound up with gear inside his boat and he couldn't just chuck it.

·
Administrator
119,703 Posts
Glad that's not my Daddy, Hoosier Daddy, cuz I wouldn't fish with him!
Scary!

Isnt anchoring probably the most dangerous part of it out there?
Jen

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
HoosierDaddy,

Always dicey especially in shallow, fast water. Once the anchor comes loose the boats starts heading back to the hogline real fast.

For this guy, even in shallow water, he should have done the full bore anchor puller method, staying in control of the boat and taking it out into the channel once the anchor came up.

For TR1 owners, this is a great feature. I fish by myself a lot and I start up the kicker, get it so it is just about neutral with the current.

This way you can slowly pull up the anchor and when it comes free, the kicker and the TR1 keep you in one spot while you get things secure.

It's also a selling point for anchor rollers like BigWaterCompany, MotionMarine or FishHawk. You can pull the anchor up via the roller and, if you don't have time to lift it all the way into the boat (though the rollers make it easy to do), you can quick cleat it off and get back to the controls and get the boat to a safe spot to finish off the securing the anchor.

Brion

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use an anchor roller and pull the thing by hand from my drivers seat. I can pull, take a wrap around the cleat, steer and throttle/gear all at the same time. This guy didn't have those options.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hoosier Daddy,

This guy didn't have those options.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Then he should not have pulled up by hand. He (and anyone in that situation) should have done the full bore anchor ball pull up and moved the boat into the channel where he had room to pull in the rope and anchor.

He was probably trying to be polite.

Brion

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I anchored on the Columbia this spring for the first time, and reading these types of threads on this website prior to my trips may well have saved me from disaster! I had no clue about the dangers of anchoring and with everyone's help, I like to think I looked like a pro out there!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was fishing a hog line today by myself. The boats were stacked all around me. Pulling up by hand wasn't an option considering the closest boat was just 15' away. I was concerned about drifting back, so I opted to use the anchor puller and ball. I done this with very little throttle. I pulled up along side the ball and continued up river. It went rather smooth. I drug the ball away from the boats and then took care of stowing after I was a safe distance. Most of these issues have to do with common sense.

Brion, Will pondering my anchor delema, I thought that I needed a TR-1. I guess I will put that on my list. The TR-1 would have made pulling up much easier.

suckerfish

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got the Big Water Co bracket mounted on my boat.The thing works great,my last trip on the CR I used it,stood in the middle of the boat and pulled the buoy, chain and anchor right in to the nest,cleated the line and was on my way.This new bracket has helped make pulling anchor a much safer activity.

[ 04-30-2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: fishjunky 2002 ]

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm with Keta,

I always keep a sharp knife in my bow for a what-if scenario. I've had many fishing buddies who ask why I keep it there?

Here's why. When fishing alone, never take a chance. It's not worth your life or some good Samaritans either.

Prior to messing with my gear, I schooled my lovely bride, and fishing partner, on how to release the bagged spare anchor rope when we got a fish on. This exercise proved to be a very good experience.

Last year, while fall Chinook fishing, my wife and I were anchored on the Columbia River downstream from the Lewis River in about 18 feet of water. We had just dropped our gear and put our rods in their holders when a fine fellow fisherman beside us whistled and said:

"Hey, you may want to take a look upstream to see what's coming."

Well we did, and wow! Here was a fast approaching tree coming at us with the swift current. It appeared to be at least eight feet in diameter and 70-80 feet long.

I fired up the main motor, put my wife at the controls, threw the rope while she piloted us downstream and to one side of the oncoming log.

Needless to say, I am thankful to the fellow next to us who also moved out.

As careful as I always think I am, if it wasn't for a good man next to us, the log may have wedged on top of my anchor rope and below my bow to force us under. Who knows?

Thanks for sharing your experience. It reminds us to always be aware of what's going on around us at all times.

Yes I Am

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Hey Chris ya hoosier or is that Hoser? Ya send private messages but do you read them???? Check your profile hoosier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts