IFish Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
One of my degrees is in software development (and have a side business that operates in that world), so I have a pretty decent savvy in how these things operate. Even if you THINK you don't have apps, phones (and all computers for that matter... which is why I choose to use Linux as my main OS) come pre-loaded with tons of software you may or may not know about. At this point, it takes a fairly savvy person to know how to rid your phone of them. There will always be some level of tracking as it's necessary for acquiring signal. But if you can learn how to access your phone's OS as root user, you can really do a lot to mitigate the damage.

My point still stands though on the original topic: The Facebook app(s) are absolutely the worst offender when it comes to invasive listening for the purpose of targeted advertising.
BD, I agree Facebook is a curse on humanity and it's nearly impossible to find a website that doesn't have a FB hook. I submit Google is even worse as virtually all of those same websites use Google APIs, googletagmanager and googletagservices. They have also been at it much longer. In my book, both are evil and I avoid both to greatest degree possible. You use FF, check out the uMatrix addon. It can be a pain going to a new site and having to individually allow the many links it tries to dump on you in order to get the site to work, but well worth it in my book. Some sites, I just leave as there's simply too many forced links. I also use the Cookie auto delete addon. Puts cookies in a container and blocks them - unless you allow them for the session or permanently - and unless in the permanent list deletes them when leaving the page. Treat trackers the same way. Everytime I log into ebay I get an email that an unknown device logged into my account. Funny.

But I am curious about your opinion of Google compared to FB. BTW, I picked up some Hive the other day and down $2.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,443 Posts
BD, I agree Facebook is a curse on humanity and it's nearly impossible to find a website that doesn't have a FB hook. I submit Google is even worse as virtually all of those same websites use Google APIs, googletagmanager and googletagservices. They have also been at it much longer. In my book, both are evil and I avoid both to greatest degree possible. You use FF, check out the uMatrix addon. It can be a pain going to a new site and having to individually allow the many links it tries to dump on you in order to get the site to work, but well worth it in my book. Some sites, I just leave as there's simply too many forced links. I also use the Cookie auto delete addon. Puts cookies in a container and blocks them - unless you allow them for the session or permanently - and unless in the permanent list deletes them when leaving the page. Treat trackers the same way. Everytime I log into ebay I get an email that an unknown device logged into my account. Funny.

But I am curious about your opinion of Google compared to FB. BTW, I picked up some Hive the other day and down $2.
I do everything I can to avoid the googler. But the one thing it's invaluable on is locating businesses and its maps. I will continue to use it for that until anything else can compare. For my searching needs, I use PreSearch - I can search their decentralized search engine.. If what I'm looking for doesn't come up, you can click the sidebar links to use other services like DuckDuckGo, Bing, Google, Ecosia and others. Very convenient to have it all in one place.

For email, I like ProtonMail. They have a limited free version, but I opt for the subscription service. Very robust encrypted mail service.

For all you iFishers, here's the very first few lines of code on this very page. While most won't be able to fully grasp what these are, I'm sure some key words will stand out.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
FireFox tools are nice.

Oh, thanks for the protonmail info. I really want to dump gmail altogether.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Watch "terms and conditions may apply" on netflix. a little dated now but the concept is still running. Every time you click on "I Agree" you are submitting to total surveillance and sale of you the consumer and your information as an advertising target. Where you shop, where you go, what you say and write, what you post on face ****, twitter or ifish. You are a product. You are being tracked and your information and contacts are being marketed to advertisers. And you agreed to it. Every where you go they want your email, your phone number etc, etc ... see this for what it is ... an attack on your personal information.

No not so much. I use VPN. I have several fake email addresses and BS phone numbers which I am happy to give out. I do not belong to face **** or twitter. I do not post my life, photos of all my friends and contacts on any social media. If you call my phone and there is no contact info I do not answer. If you text me with a return address of mostly random characters I do not open the message it goes directly into the trash. Spam filters discard all unwanted or unidentified messages. My PO box has a large garbage can which I fill with garbage advertising every time I go there. I don't even open it. Goes right in the the trash and never even enters my home.

I am a human being not a product or a target for advertising.

Я человек ..

·
Registered
646 Posts
We tested it a while back, we don't own a cat, started talking about cat food on purpose, boom ads for cat food. I won't buy an alexa or any of that stuff, I had a fire tv but unplugged it. Your phone is the same, always listening.

You can look up "Zuckerberg tape laptop' and he puts tape over his camera and microphone on his laptop, 5+ years ago. He knows what's up.

If you fire up wireshark and log your network traffic, reboot your phone and don't open anything, it's constantly sending data back to google (if android, I don't have an apple device to test). If you have any FB product installed, it's sending data back to their servers even when it's not open, simply because it's installed on the device.

I won't install any facebook product on the phone. I traveled to Australia and people were using messenger. I installed it. Then never opened it for 3 years after the trip. When I fired up wireshark, every second it was sending data back to FB simply because the app was installed on the phone, many apps install background services that monitor everything.

I also installed anti virus on my laptop. Every time I open chrome it takes a photo from the camera....virus scanner throws up a prompt showing chrome is taking a picture. I tape over mine, wish I could find the microphone on this thing.

We definitely need some laws saying apps can't access the rest of your life outside the app, only what you do in the app. Installing a game or chat program shouldn't give unlimited access to your microphone, camera, network, etc and especially if the app isn't even open.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yesterday I was talking with me brother ( who loves his gadgets), he said it doesn’t bother him, ….. “what the hell”. Seems if you buy a device for a purpose….it should only be used by the one who purchased it….. unless there is a BIG disclosure statement that states. YOU WILL BE MONITORED AND INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR….MARKETING AND WHATEVER WE WANT…..

If a salesman showed up at my brothers door and he said…”I was listening in on your conversation in a restaurant, and I followed you home….because I have something you maybe interested in”….he would throw pitch a royal fit. How is this any different.?

·
Registered
646 Posts
They also get around the 4th amendment buying the data rather than subpoena-ing it.
Government agencies — as several publications have reported — have discovered ways around what seemed to be robust constitutional protections for sensitive location information. They are engaging in creative legal interpretations and secretly exploiting gaps in the law to buy Americans’ personal information from intermediaries. This practice of buying Americans’ data has become routine, effectively hollowing out both Carpenter and privacy safeguards enacted by Congress

Key to this activity is the proliferation of entities that collect, package and sell Americans’ information. The government no longer needs to compel the production of location data from Verizon or T-Mobile, because there are innumerable cellphone apps that gather and track precise geolocation coordinates (along with a wealth of other personal data). Some apps, such as e-weather forecasting tools, might have a legitimate need for location information; others collect it simply because the app companies know they can, and they know the data’s worth. The companies then sell the information to brokers, which in turn sell it to government agencies.
Since the data exists, the gov can go back and get it even though they didn't have a warrant at the time it was stored.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
They also get around the 4th amendment buying the data rather than subpoena-ing it.

Since the data exists, the gov can go back and get it even though they didn't have a warrant at the time it was stored.
Which the companies couldn't do, if smart phone users didn't sign away their right to privacy by allowing the companies to use/sell their data as they see fit.
I get it though, no sign > no phone.

Modern day Americans (citizens of all countries actually) are trading away their privacy for convenience.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's buried on page 3000 in the fine print written in wording that requires a law degree to interpret. But even the terms of that agreement are updated after you buy it all the time. I frequently get emails from services I use about terms agreement changing and no way to opt out, so you either don't use the thing you bought or keep using it.

Even the fine print will beat around the bush on what exactly you're subjecting yourself to, and they reserve the right to change the words in the fine print after you buy it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What’s going on?

A few weeks ago, we were having dinner at the neighbors, and just talking about how gross black caviar is, then the next day my wife gets advertisements for black caviar….. but ok, maybe it was just a coincidence.

Then a few days ago, a friend from Ifish , came and visited, we coked a couple steaks and sat around shooting breeze. In our conversations of aliens and biblical accounts, I mentioned Enoch only appearing a few times in the Bible, in the beginning, the middle and the end, and why hadn’t he been forgotten….. just a stupid conversation, but whatever….
Long story short, my friend went home (he is not religious, and never used is computer for any such subject), … he calls me the next day and said he went to his you tube account and the first thing is some link to “Enoch explained”…..now that can’t be a coincidence, can it? I am probably the only one who mentioned that name in all the Rogue valley last week.

I have heard others mention similar things, but didn’t really believe such invasion of privacy, unless of coarse some was researching or buying something, then I think we are fair game…..but this these were private conversations.

Anyone have weird stuff happen?

I am not a conspiracy freak, although I think all things should be questioned logically.

If there is something going on, why aren’t folks angry?

I still have a flip phone, but I got a notice it will not work, come February of 2022….. and they want me to get a new phone…… what’s that all about.?
Thank you for posting this because my neighbor and I were just talking about this last week, not only has his daughter and him been noticing these coincidences but so have I and my wife. I truly believe that our privacy is 100% compromised with our cell phones, smart TVs, Alexa, Siri, Smart thermostats, etc. you get my point. This has been becoming more and more noticeable as we have conversations and later get emails, YouTube “YouScrewed” video suggestions or even worse browser recommendations when we get on the internet from Google. I’m not a nut job or conspiracy theorist, but this is definitely occurring and it’s obvious that big tech is listening to our private conversations.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
You ever notice how many sites you go to where you can log in with your Facebook, Google or Twitter ID? Why help them track what you do and where you go online? It's one thing for them to 'steal' it from you, but why give it to them?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Watch “The Social Dilemma”. Be ready to be disturbed. As I just said elsewhere- Facebook is the Devil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s going on?

A few weeks ago, we were having dinner at the neighbors, and just talking about how gross black caviar is, then the next day my wife gets advertisements for black caviar….. but ok, maybe it was just a coincidence.

Then a few days ago, a friend from Ifish , came and visited, we coked a couple steaks and sat around shooting breeze. In our conversations of aliens and biblical accounts, I mentioned Enoch only appearing a few times in the Bible, in the beginning, the middle and the end, and why hadn’t he been forgotten….. just a stupid conversation, but whatever….
Long story short, my friend went home (he is not religious, and never used is computer for any such subject), … he calls me the next day and said he went to his you tube account and the first thing is some link to “Enoch explained”…..now that can’t be a coincidence, can it? I am probably the only one who mentioned that name in all the Rogue valley last week.

I have heard others mention similar things, but didn’t really believe such invasion of privacy, unless of coarse some was researching or buying something, then I think we are fair game…..but this these were private conversations.

Anyone have weird stuff happen?

I am not a conspiracy freak, although I think all things should be questioned logically.

If there is something going on, why aren’t folks angry?

I still have a flip phone, but I got a notice it will not work, come February of 2022….. and they want me to get a new phone…… what’s that all about.?
No Sir, you are not alone. Me and a buddy were sitting in the Office chatting about lakes and specifically Detroit Lake and where to go camping up by Hood, got on to my work computer, opened google typed a D and the first thing to come up is Detroit Lake and camping. Never looked it up before on that computer either.

Plenty of other stories, but they are listening.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You are not Facebook’s customer. You are their product. Modifying your behavior is their service to their actual customers, which is entities paying them to modify said behavior.

(That can mean, for instance, considering a Toyota truck when you’ve always been a Ford guy in the past, or suddenly finding yourself willing to try a new medicine or product, or virtually any change in behavior you can imagine. YOU are the product. The company wanting to change your behavior is the customer. And changing that behavior is the service)

Reactions: Don G Baldi

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
...... and if you’re thinkin’ that no different than advertising.... watch The Social Dilemma. The ways they are manipulating people are truly scary.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts