IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s going on?

A few weeks ago, we were having dinner at the neighbors, and just talking about how gross black caviar is, then the next day my wife gets advertisements for black caviar….. but ok, maybe it was just a coincidence.

Then a few days ago, a friend from Ifish , came and visited, we coked a couple steaks and sat around shooting breeze. In our conversations of aliens and biblical accounts, I mentioned Enoch only appearing a few times in the Bible, in the beginning, the middle and the end, and why hadn’t he been forgotten….. just a stupid conversation, but whatever….
Long story short, my friend went home (he is not religious, and never used is computer for any such subject), … he calls me the next day and said he went to his you tube account and the first thing is some link to “Enoch explained”…..now that can’t be a coincidence, can it? I am probably the only one who mentioned that name in all the Rogue valley last week.

I have heard others mention similar things, but didn’t really believe such invasion of privacy, unless of coarse some was researching or buying something, then I think we are fair game…..but this these were private conversations.

Anyone have weird stuff happen?

I am not a conspiracy freak, although I think all things should be questioned logically.

If there is something going on, why aren’t folks angry?

I still have a flip phone, but I got a notice it will not work, come February of 2022….. and they want me to get a new phone…… what’s that all about.?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Hmmmmmm going to have to research it. My wife and step-daughter are tuned in to conspiracy theories I'll ask her and my step-daughter.
I was wondering why I was getting all of these advertisement notification on girls in bikinis. I wish they would stop it.

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
Are you anywhere near an Alexa or one of the home 'special helpers'? There is a report of Alexa recording a conversation with a man and his wife and emailing it to someone in their contact list. These devices 'listen'. In addition, current smart phones all have 'assistants'. Siri is Apple's flavor. If the phone is powered, it is listening. And of course, money is made by selling anything it picks up to add to your advertising profile. Privacy is a quaint and ancient notion.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,456 Posts
Google and Facebook make their money on selling your info to advertisers, and will gather information by any means necessary.

This is why I laugh at all these vaccine microchip tracking device conspiracy theories.... Your phone is the perfect tool for that job and people download every tracker app and turn on all those features without thinking twice about it.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I’m getting ads for toaster ovens.

Reactions: Ni! and lingslayer

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The more apps your phone has running, the more likely it's listening to you.

I do vast majority of my computer time on desktop without camera or microphone.. No facetweet. No amazon. Phone doesn't pester me with ads.

Something to think about the next time DFW pushes you to buy paperless licenses and tags......

Next time you look at your phone, and they have apps that are free, ask yourself why would they put so many "Free" features in a phone.

Reactions: Don G Baldi

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,456 Posts
Two things I recommend doing on your desktop computer: Use Firefox browser, and install the plugin called uBlock origin. You won't be tracked or see the invasive ads.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
My daughter was complaining about this last summer so I tried an experiment. She has an Apple phone and I have an Android. We decided to talk about Cabbage Patch dolls as the trigger subject. Neither one of us ever got anything Cabbage Patch. But since I just wrote this down here I fully expect to find Cabbage Patch in my future. I will get back to you.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It really seems to happen. The other week I verbally discussed getting a new mattress and suddenly was flooded with mattress ads. The randomness could be accounted for by whichever companies have paid for that sort of advertising recently and paid the companies that have access to your phone specifically.

But, if it were legitimately a thing, wouldn't there be an entire advertisement industry based on this? Wouldn't there be many people whose jobs are to take money from companies and deliver the product of placing their ads using stolen audio from cell phone mics? It also seems that it would be very expensive technology for advertising when they could just wait for you to type things into google or whatever. Obviously Snowden revealed that the NSA is very capable and actively doing this already. But they have a large budget for the servers to house all that data.

Why are we not mad? I choose to carry a smartphone or not, I don't consider it a right. So if I care about ads and government tracking, I just don't carry the smartphone. I have nothing to hide. While maybe I should care, I kind of just don't. Obviously I am trading the convenience of the smartphone for the risk that I'll be tracked and that's a choice I'm free to make. Now, if the gov were to require smartphones like in China....

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
Two things I recommend doing on your desktop computer: Use Firefox browser, and install the plugin called uBlock origin. You won't be tracked or see the invasive ads.
FF and uMatrix. Near total control of what your browser allows to load. Also, on laptop, both microphone and camera are disabled in the hardware. Phone is a bit more open but every app that I don't want and need is disabled if it can't be uninstalled. Location is OFF unless using Map to get somewhere. Does great things for battery life.

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
But, if it were legitimately a thing, wouldn't there be an entire advertisement industry based on this?
There is an industry based on collecting and selling personal info - Big Tech. Principally Google and Facebook. Why do you think Android is free? And look at all the personal info people post on Facebook. Take a look at your Google account and you can find your advertising ID. They know who you are and what you do and serve up ads based on the profile of your advertising ID. Microsoft does too. Why do you think they want you to log in to your MS account whenever you are online?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
There is an industry based on collecting and selling personal info - Big Tech. Principally Google and Facebook. Why do you think Android is free? And look at all the personal info people post on Facebook. Take a look at your Google account and you can find your advertising ID. They know who you are and what you do and serve up ads based on the profile of your advertising ID. Microsoft does too. Why do you think they want you to log in to your MS account whenever you are online?
Oh for sure. I just mean specifically that the company advertising would be paying for the exact service of mining audio for their ads, right? You'd think it would cost more to sort through a bunch of audio and that the cost would be forwarded to the purchaser of said advertising.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like someone would be chiming in and saying "yes, my buddy has a job where a company can request ads based on audio captures for X amount of $"

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
Oh for sure. I just mean specifically that the company advertising would be paying for the exact service of mining audio for their ads, right? You'd think it would cost more to sort through a bunch of audio and that the cost would be forwarded to the purchaser of said advertising.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like someone would be chiming in and saying "yes, my buddy has a job where a company can request ads based on audio captures for X amount of $"
Non-disclosure agreements. You'd have to sign one before being hired. There are reports of Facebook tailoring ad spots based on a multitude of criteria chosen by the ad marketer. Gender, age, race, interests based on sites visited, keywords in posts, location. You can even put out a sale special to someone walking through your front door. And it's not just Facebook, it's all the big tech players. Oh, and Android, it pings cell towers even if your phone is turned off - by one report.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have had a similar experience where my phone listened to a conversation, and when I used google to look up something related to the topic the autofill below had the words I was going to look for. These were words I had never typed in before. So I now wonder if some of my rantings about what I would have liked to do to certain politicians are saved and recorded in some data bank out by prineville!!

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t agree with things, texted, transmitted on calls, or shopping being tracked and used…..but somewhere it really crosses the line when easedropping on personal conversations is done.

I wouldn’t do Facebook, snap chat, tic toc, Twitter or any of those…..mainly because I don’t care, but their censor policies sealed the deal….screw that!

Ifish is my only social venue, I don’t think much of their rules either, but I sure like reading you guys take on issues….. even the weirdos.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ISo I now wonder if some of my rantings about what I would have liked to do to certain politicians are saved and recorded in some data bank out by prineville!!
You and me both, but I suspect we aren’t the only ones…..

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Really I-Fish?

Y'all need to pay more attention.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is not just a marketing tool.

Widespread political misinformation, lies, alternate facts, or whatever you want to call it, is spread this way also. On both sides of the isle.

It appears to work rather well.

TK.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts