IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse me for editing your thread, Jerry, but I'm going to use this one to link off the front page.

WHO: All Parties interested in saving our fisheries.

WHAT: Caravan to the Capitol, pulling boats, or not, (although pulling a boat sure sends a message, if we all do it!) to attend a meeting to show our HUGE support for our hatcheries.

WHEN: APRIL 24th at 1PM

WHERE: Room 170 Salem Oregon State Capitol. (On the 1st Floor you will find:
Hearing Rooms A through F, Hearing Rooms 170 and 174, the Galleria, Rotunda, Visitor’s Center, and also Conference Room 167A. We are in 170!)

WHY: Read below! Because we are tired of fighting this, and we need to show our support in HUGE numbers!!!!

Please call and rsvp to 503.522.3023 as the meeting could be cancelled!!! (Says Phil Donovan)

--original post--
I have heard it on very reliable sources that the Governor will announce his proposed budget today at 11AM. It does not sound good for ODFW. Will post more as I hear. This means we need folks in Salem on the 24th more than ever. Jerry

[ 04-22-2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I said I would post news as it came in. Well it is in. And you won't like it. I sure don't. The Governor has agreed to fund hatcheries with the fee increase. OK. One little problem, he took $5 million general fund dollors out of hatchery programs. So instead of needing to raise $10 million with fee increase, we need to raise $15million. I do not know what that will equate too. I am sure that folks at ODFW will be crunching numbers all week end. They better have the answers by Monday, that is when they start their budget process with the Leg. Maybe we said it to loud. "we are willing to pay what ever it takes to save hatcheries". Well we did say it, so I guess we'll just have to prove that we meant it. This is a real blow to all of us. It was a bigger blow to the ODFW. It makes me wonder who is advising the Gov. on fish issues, as if I didn't know. Oh well, we really need to get even more folks to Salem on the 24th. If we don't get the fee increas or increases, we will lose fish hatcheries!! It is up to us the users to decide how important this is. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP THIS AT THE TOP. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jerry,

I have a question for you. Are you asking for a liscence fee increase or a tag fee increase?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So we are asking people who only fish for trout, or warmwater fish to support this increase?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yep the budget really sucks!!!

Hey as long as you guys are going to write your reps about budget cuts could you ask them to give me my job back?

:shrug:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I can support a tag fee increase. But a general liscense fee increase does not seem fair.

There are a lot of Oregon anglers that do not fish for trout, salmon or steelhead. Time are hard for a lot of people right now. Why are we so anxious to raise fees without gaurentees?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
TFG,
I sure hope we have someone from the "Good Guys" advising our Governor. I just don't know who they are. I must have missed the previous thread.

All I know is that there were three rooms filled at the last hearing in Salem supporting the fee increase and HB2260 was passed on without a "do pass" designation. That tells me that there are people behind the scenes making alot of noise against it. I am going to do all I can to show my support and urge everyone else who enjoys fishing the north coast to do the same.

[ 04-18-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: brshooter ]

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can support the Fee Increase to pay for what I love to do.

However, these times call for tough choices to be made. If I have to choose between fish hatcheries and any of the following: schools, police, prisons, mental health care, juvenile detention, etc. I would have to choose for my general fund tax money to go for the services that generate a greater good for the entire state. I just could not be selfish enough to ask for some more fish for my buddies and I to go catch.

Hopefully our "fearless" leaders in the State Legislature will find a way to support the services the people of our state need and fund the services we want.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm wondering out loud if a shellfish tag whose procedes would go towards shellfish programs would free up funds that could be reapplied to fish hatcheries. :shrug:

In this thread Jerry Dove suggested that "Jim Brown, from the Oregon Dept. of Forest, will be the main man". Anyone know if this is the case? If so, then it would show that the Governor has folks on both sides of the debate at his disposal.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We need to fight for this. It came to my attention that our governor has a member of Oregon Trout as one of his advisors. We all know where they stand on hatcheries. If you can make it to Salem on Thursday, the 24th, do it. If not, make sure you write your letters and/or make some phone calls. We must let them know where we stand.

Dennis Richey, from Oregon Anglers, was our speaker at last nights meeting of the Tualatin Valley Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders.
Here is a list of people he recommended we contact.

Rep. Randy Miller (co-Chair) 503-986-1437
[email protected]

Sen. Kurt Schrader (co-chair) 503-986-1720
[email protected]

Sen. Richard Devlin 503-986-1719
[email protected]

Sen. Steve Harper 503-986-1728
[email protected]

Sen. Margaret Carter 503-986-1722
[email protected]

Sen. Gary George 503-986-1712
[email protected]

Sen. Avel Gordly 503-986-1723
[email protected]

Sen Frank Morris 503-986-1708
[email protected]

Sen Jackie Winters 503-986-1710
[email protected]

Rep. Alan Bates 503-986-1405
[email protected]

Rep Gary Hansen 503-986-1444
[email protected]

Rep. Susan Morgan 503-986-1402
[email protected]

Jerry,
Anyone else that you would recommend we contact? We have less than a week to make it happen.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Change of meeting place. The hearing has been moved to the Labor and Industry Bld. Room 170. I am not sure where this bld. is at. I know it is in the capital mall. I think within one block. When I found out for sure I will post. If any one else know for sure please post it. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Jerry,
That's who I had heard was the governor's fish advisor. Jim Myron, and his buddies at Oregon Trout, are definately anti-hatchery. We are going to have to make a lot of noise to counter what the governor hears from his advisor.

Anyone out there who enjoys fishing the north coast, write your letters, send your e-mails, make your phone call, and be there on the 24th if at all possible.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
8:15PM-Sat. APRIL 19TH 2003---GOOD BYE HATCHERIES.-JIM MYRON AND OREGON TROUT HAVE WON!!! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH LINDSEY BALL DIRECTOR ODFW. HE, IN MY OPINION HAS GIVEN UP ON SAVING THE HATCHERIES. OUR NEW GOV. TOOK 5MILLION DOLLARS OUT OF HATCHERIES, AND THEN SAID IF WE DON'T HAVE HATCHERIES THEN WE DO NOT NEED TRUCKS TO PLANT THE FISH, AND TOOK OUT ANOTHER 700.000. I AM NOT SURE IF THE ODFW WILL ASK THE LEG. TO RAISE FEES ANY HIGHER. I HAVE NEVER HEARD LINDSEY SOUND SO NEGATIVE. FOLKS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I AM TIRED OF BEGGING AND TIRED OF TRYING TO RALLY THE TROOPS. I GET THE FEELING THAT ONLY A HANDFULL OF PEOPLE REALLY GIVE A S----! (sorry) BUT I AM AT THE POINT OF GIVING UP MY SELF. I HAVE FOUGHT THIS BATTLE FOR THE LAST 8 TO 10 YEARS, I AM TIRED OF IT. IF WE DO NOT HAVE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN SALEM THURS., WE ARE DONE, TRUST ME. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT KEN MESSERLE, CHAIR OF THE SUB. COMMITTEE ON WAYS AND MEANS, THAT THEY WILL NOT LEAVE SALEM UNTIL THE HATCHERIES ARE FUNDED. CAN WE TAKE THAT TO THE BANK, I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE. LINDSEY BALL SAYS HE HAS HIS MARCHING ORDERS FROM THE GOV. AND CAN'T EVEN TELL ME WHICH HATCHERIES WILL CLOSE. I THINK IT IS TIME FOR HIM TO PROVE TO US ALL THAT HE IS THE MAN WE THOUGHT HE WAS AND STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS. DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY CHANCE WE COULD GET A COUPLE HUNDRED BOATS TO CIRCLE THE CAPTIAL THRUS.? WE NEED EVERY ONE OF YOU TO EMAIL OR CALL A FRIEND AND HAVE THEN THERE. EVERY LIC. GUIDE HAD BETTER BE THERE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY. THANKS. JERRY

1 - 20 of 77 Posts