IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, boys and girls....I just got back from Pybus Point Lodge on Admiralty Island out of Juneau Alaska. Fished for one week in heaven! Caught more fish then I know what to do with. Caught big fish, caught small fish, and caught.........lots of fish.

Day One
We are up in Juneau Alaska. Just got checked into the hotel and now its time to get out and have fun. Well, we hit the town and do a little spendin. Well, I got to thinking its about time to go hit this stream that I seen. Well, sure enough theirs big chum salmon in it.
With my new Lamiglas Ti2000 9wt fly rod I put a real whopping on them fish. After about 20 or so fish it was about time to go eat. Well, before we stopped to eat we had to stop at the hatchery and check out what's going on. holy.....looks at all the chums, pinks, and a few Chinooks in the ladder. Talk about some snaggers there. About 10 or so kids on the bank with spin rods and big ol trebled hooks casting out and just ripen. What a joke.

The next morning we get up early and get on the Float plane and take a trip to the lodge. Go in and get all our stuff ready and we are off fishing.
Theirs three people on out boat. My grandpa, Sam, and my self. We start off fishing for halibut and in no time at all we are into fish. Small ones but good eating ones. Well, before no time my rod doubles over and I got a real good one. Shoot, he got off. oh well, what could a person do. Well, about a few min later I end up getting a good size halibut but not as big as the one I lost.
We get up and move to another spot. This spot that we moved to is a real winner. With in no time at all we are into fish. Once again my rod doubles over and this fish is real big. Its just spooling line and all of a sudden, pop, *(@# dangit, snapped the line. Oh well, this is only day one.
We pull a few more fish out of this hole and make a few more drift and its about time to go. One more fish for that days halibut limit. Well, they leave me out there on the deck and the two older guys and the guide are sitting in BSing. About that time my rod doubles over and then its fish on. About 20 min later and a few hundred yards of line out I end up getting the fish to the boat where we harpoon it and then gaff it and pull it aboard.
The fish was over 100 pounds!

Biggest fish for that day.

We get up early and go out fishing for halibut. Our boat ends up getting into some nice fish. I ended up getting another real nice halibut in the 90 pound class and a few others in the 75-80 pound range.

Once again, I bring in the biggest fish for the day and our boat was the first one back to dock once again.

The next day....Not a very nice day. Rainy, windy, 4 foot seas, cold. But oh well, I'm young, I can fish it.....I guess. Well, them two older farts and the guide kicked me out side and they sat in side the boat with the heater on and watched me limit the boat. I ended up getting 5 halibut in the 45-70 pound range. Well, we ended up setting the new record for the lodge for coming back the quickest with our limit of halibut. We got in just a little bit after 1:00, the next boat came in at 4:30.
Funny listing to the other boats back at the cabin next to the fire. They just could not find the fish.

The next day the weather turned off nice again. And we get into some fish. We hit one hole and found 5 fish in the 50-85 pound range. We limited the boat and were the first one back at the dock again by 1:50 this time. Next boat that came in was a little after 4:30

Now. Them are some nice halibut. This was my best year up there for big halibut. Its real nice getting back with a limit of halibut every day before 2:00

Now, what I did not talk about up above was the salmon fishing. That was something.

The first day we get there. Well, after we get done halibut fishing and we get back to the docks, a few people and I run up to the creek to see if theirs any salmon in yet. Nope, only seen 5 or 6 fish at the mouth of the creek and we could not get them to bite.
Well, the next day of fishing, after we limit on halibut I wanted to get a salt water salmon on my new Lamiglas Ti2000 9wt fly rod. So what we do, we get a salmon.

We hooked the Fly rod and reel up to the down rigger. Sure enough, I had two takes and one pink salmon that was about 6-8 pounds.

Well, after that day was over and done with. I get back nice and early and make a quick run up to the creek and all I could say was WOW. Over night over 500 chrome sea liced fish moved into the mouth of the creek in the bay there.
The next day there was thousands of fish and each and every day more and more fish moved up into the creek and bay there.
We did not even bother fishing the creek. What we would do is motor the boat up into the creek as far as we could and then with a big pole we would push the boat up even farther and then start tossing spinners as we slowly drifted on down stream and in the bay and stuff.
Just me and this other kid, we must have caught over 200 salmon in 3 afternoons of fishing it.

More pictures to come

·
Registered
11,223 Posts

I dont know what to type because I am too busy drooling on my keyboard :grin:

Great report sounds like a hoot and a half! :dance:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Let me tell you. After a long day of fishing, they sure feed you good

:grin:
and my plater of food

Oh I had a killer time this year up there. The biggest fish was one in our group of people that came in at 215 pounds! :shocked: I should have more pictures in the next few days of me fighting some big over size halibut.

Each day we had fish we had to harpoon on our boat. Each day we where back to the dock by at least 2:00

Them people really know how to take care of you. I was like shocked with they knew EVERYONES names by the second day. For me to remember ten names in ten days is something, but these girls had like 24 named in there head and knew who was who.

I WANNA GO BACK!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome Back Mike!!! Looks like you had a great time up there.

Keep the pics coming.... :cheers:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miss B/Hogmaster
Remember the elk at sea??? Well now we have a Deer :shocked: :grin: :wink:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wow! Those are some nice Halibut :dance:

What lodge was this? I have never been to Alaska, but would like to some day.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
That looks like a hoot!!! I bet thats a trip you will remember for the rest of your life.

Sounds like you had a ball!!!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Geez,
I am surely jealous! How could you even leave a place like that. I would have told them to put me to work. They wouldn't even need to pay me, just feed me! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Boy, I sure do miss living up there. I spent 3 years living in Juneau. Thanks for the photos!! I have almost forgot what it looks like up there, that is where I got the name Cohodependent. Did you get to see any bears on the island? When I lived there that island had the largest concentration of Brown bears in the world. Got to be a bit tense when deer hunting... Good Job!!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea, I seen bears alright.

FNF-well if I can, next year, I can work up there :grin:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That would be too good of an offer to pass up! Stay on top of that idea! :cheers:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes! I agree... but you have to graduate from HS first! That means you need to pass every single class (no room for error there baby).

And.. if he is working there, shouldn't Mom's get a huge discount? :grin:

The name of the place, is Lone Eagle Resort, Inc., Pybus Point Lodge, Admiralty Island, Alaska. Allen is the owner and the phone is 1-800-94PYBUS OR 907-790-4866.

·
Registered
841 Posts
:cool: If you want a taste of the halibut, I am taking a mess of it to ifishstock! I am planning the BBQ in my secret sauce! :cheers:

I am not kidding, my freezer is 2/3rds full of just the right size packages of halibut. We just had some for dinner and it was so good! No left over's tonight! Now, only to decide how to cook it tomorrow night... :shrug:

They do call it chicken of the sea for a reason.. so I sweet n sour it, deep fry, holindase (sp) sauce it, cajun, thai.....

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Awesome Mike...AWESOME!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
See ya on the water!! :grin:
Great pics of some really nice barn doors.
:dance:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts