IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning my 2022 trip up North and looking for suggestions on places on Prince of Wales.

Our plan is similar to what we did this year, just looking at a different location. This year we stayed at Knudson Cove Marina, in Ketchikan and did self guided trips with their rental boats and fished the salt for salmon and bottom fish. It was reasonable in cost and we're not ruling out going there again.

Not looking to do anything really remote and plan on fishing in the salt water again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I believe Green Butt Skunk still rents his place out in Coffman Cove but could be wrong. I’m sure at a minimum he would know who does in the area.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm headed for Calder Mountain Lodge in late August. It's self guided. Focus will be on halibut and salmon. In that order. May also pick up some rockfish, lingcod, and perhaps crab/shrimp.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
There is Adventure Alaska out of Thorne bay that has boat rental packages. I think there is another or two there as well, but maybe only rent smaller skiffs. POW Excursion Outfitters I believe rents a boat in Craig/Klawock area.

On POW there is a fair bit of difference between fishing the inside of the island vs fishing the outside of the island. And from Craig or Klawock you run 25 miles to get the the outside. We burn $80 to $120 in fuel a day feeding a 150 4 stroke pushing a 22' tin can. I haven't fished the inside for many years, but expect the runs to the grounds would be much shorter. Similar water to Ketchikan, but less crowded. I'd expect Baker to be the least crowded, then Coffman, then Thorne Bay. Fishing out of Craig/Klawock your not going to be alone.

They all but shut down non-pelagic bottom fish, so you have Black sea bass, 1 lingcod, 2 halibut a day, 6 coho a day, and maybe a king or 3 a year depending on time you go. Coho show up in mass early to mid July.
Other than the adventure of going and seeing POW, I'm not sure there is much return for the added travel hassle given the current harvest restrictions. Of course that depends on how well you were able to fill fish boxes in K-town.

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
From Craig to open (salmon/halibut) water is quite a haul. I'd pick a spot with fishing closer to port. Might give Sitka a look for self guided.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is Adventure Alaska out of Thorne bay that has boat rental packages. I think there is another or two there as well, but maybe only rent smaller skiffs. POW Excursion Outfitters I believe rents a boat in Craig/Klawock area.

On POW there is a fair bit of difference between fishing the inside of the island vs fishing the outside of the island. And from Craig or Klawock you run 25 miles to get the the outside. We burn $80 to $120 in fuel a day feeding a 150 4 stroke pushing a 22' tin can. I haven't fished the inside for many years, but expect the runs to the grounds would be much shorter. Similar water to Ketchikan, but less crowded. I'd expect Baker to be the least crowded, then Coffman, then Thorne Bay. Fishing out of Craig/Klawock your not going to be alone.

They all but shut down non-pelagic bottom fish, so you have Black sea bass, 1 lingcod, 2 halibut a day, 6 coho a day, and maybe a king or 3 a year depending on time you go. Coho show up in mass early to mid July.
Other than the adventure of going and seeing POW, I'm not sure there is much return for the added travel hassle given the current harvest restrictions. Of course that depends on how well you were able to fill fish boxes in K-town.
You make good points. I think we've decided to go back to KTN, but stay for a few days longer. We think we did pretty good for our first trip and doing the self guided fishing.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
130 Posts
You make good points. I think we've decided to go back to KTN, but stay for a few days longer. We think we did pretty good for our first trip and doing the self guided fishing.

Thanks for the input!
If you have time and your own boat, book a ferry from prince rupert as soon as they open next years bookings. You get to ketchikan on Tuesday, leave the following Thursday or longer if you can swing it but that would be the minimum. I did this in 2019, cost of getting there was less than renting a boat and I could go wherever I wanted. I rented an Airbnb that had parking and hauled the boat out each day, you could also rent moorage but there is no ramp line to speak of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Planning my 2022 trip up North and looking for suggestions on places on Prince of Wales.

Our plan is similar to what we did this year, just looking at a different location. This year we stayed at Knudson Cove Marina, in Ketchikan and did self guided trips with their rental boats and fished the salt for salmon and bottom fish. It was reasonable in cost and we're not ruling out going there again.

Not looking to do anything really remote and plan on fishing in the salt water again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reach out to Mike at Coffman Cove Adventures, he'll get you squared away.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
One thing to consider is this year Ketchikan didn’t start getting cruise ships till the end of July. Next year I’d expect them to be back in force.
POW would get you away from that mess.
Also depending on time of year POW would offer River coho on bad ocean days.

Lots to consider. To stay and learn, or explore looking for better.
Dang good problems to have.

Reactions: rowmanholiday

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Kind of off topic but there is a dude who used to be on here that specializes on DIY's out of SITKA. He has Hewes crafts for RENT. My brother in law in Sitka may have his name. I used to fish next to him a lot and I think his name was JOE

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Kind of off topic but there is a dude who used to be on here that specializes on DIY's out of SITKA. He has Hewes crafts for RENT. My brother in law in Sitka may have his name. I used to fish next to him a lot and I think his name was JOE
It's Fish Baranof. Joel Martin owner (Joe moved to Valdez).

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
A bunch of us used Fish Baranof a while back. Had a nice time. Bring your own terminal tackle because you may not be able to buy it there. I brought some and it saved our butts. Might throw in a couple of reels and bring knives. Vacuum packer provided. Do not drink the Spruce Beer. Hideous stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Get a hold of Thorne Bay Lodge. Reasonable, great options for both Salt and freshwater exploring. Rental includes use of a 4x4 crew cab P/U. Great folks.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Yeah Jared I agree. How about Larson Bay. Not SE but wow! had some down time while at work thanks to Weather and some of the BEST fishing I have seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts