IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger and the airbag light has been coming on. On start up it blinks 4 times and then off, then blinks 4 times again and then stays lit. Would a code come up on the computer and won't NAPA or Schucks hook up a code reader to diagnose the problem?

Does anyone know what is going on? I don't want to take it into Ford since it is like $118 just for the diagnostic, especially if it is something easy that I can possibly do.

·
Banned
15,714 Posts
It's the safety belt relay switch on the drivers side. This is a common problem with the Rangers. Mine does the same thing. There is a switch that's activated when you hit the brakes and the seat belt automatically tightens. Not sure exactly what the function is, but it's a couple bills to replace it. :hoboy:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the safety belt relay switch on the drivers side. This is a common problem with the Rangers. Mine does the same thing. There is a switch that's activated when you hit the brakes and the seat belt automatically tightens. Not sure exactly what the function is, but it's a couple bills to replace it. :hoboy:
That's crazy! Ford replaced the driver's side seat belt not even a year ago. I wonder if that is the problem???

·
Banned
15,714 Posts
I was able to dig up some info I found before.

The flashing air bag light indicates that the restraint control module, which includes the sensors, has identified a fault in the system and has deactivated the air bag and pretensioners. A scan tool can interrogate the system to identify the specific fault code. In fact, the next time you turn on the key, watch the air bag light and try to determine the "lamp fault code" it's flashing. The "LFC" sequence might help you identify the specific problem with the system. For example, a sequence of one flash followed by six flashes indicates a problem with the passenger-side air bag.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to dig up some info I found before.
Thanks. Do you remember where you got that? That sequence that it describes isn't the one I have. I know for a fact that it flashes 4 times the first time, but haven't counted the next set before it stays on.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I like to have airbag lights checked out, you never know when you might want it to work.

You could take it to a mechanic that isn't "Ford".

:shrug:

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Okay I am assuming you may have counted the flashes incorrectly here because there is no code 44 listed. There is a code 46 and 47. Going out on a limb here for ya but perhaps you are experiencing code 34 which is most likely.

Code 34 is a low resistence to the airbag. IE: the "clock spring" has malfunctioned or is broken which is also a common happening with Fords of that age or older. Things to check would be to see if your horn works, cruise works or anything powered via the steering column near the airbag.

Do this. go out to the car and test these functions. Recount the flashes of the airbag light. Usually the airbag light comes on and holds for a second, then goes intot flash mode. Do not count the hold when it first comes one. Only the consecutive flashings. I'm betting on code 34 here. Let me know what you find and I'll check into it tomorrow.

If it is code 34 I can turn you on to a mobile guy to replace it for you. I can give you the information via PM here.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I am assuming you may have counted the flashes incorrectly here because there is no code 44 listed. There is a code 46 and 47. Going out on a limb here for ya but perhaps you are experiencing code 34 which is most likely.

Code 34 is a low resistence to the airbag. IE: the "clock spring" has malfunctioned or is broken which is also a common happening with Fords of that age or older. Things to check would be to see if your horn works, cruise works or anything powered via the steering column near the airbag.

Do this. go out to the car and test these functions. Recount the flashes of the airbag light. Usually the airbag light comes on and holds for a second, then goes intot flash mode. Do not count the hold when it first comes one. Only the consecutive flashings. I'm betting on code 34 here. Let me know what you find and I'll check into it tomorrow.

If it is code 34 I can turn you on to a mobile guy to replace it for you. I can give you the information via PM here.

Hope this is helpful.
I did count the sequence wrong. I just went out there and it is 4 blinks, then 6. It goes in that sequence until I put it in drive and then stays on. So it sounds like its code 46. Any idea what that one is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
I have a 2002 Ford Ranger and the airbag light has been coming on. On start up it blinks 4 times and then off, then blinks 4 times again and then stays lit.
Here is what you originally said and what I was going by. That would be a code 44 from my interpretation. Code 46 is entirely different. I'll look it up and see what I come up with for an answer.

·
Banned
15,714 Posts
I believe that code 46 means that your left hand crash sensor is not mounted properly or has come loose. The crash sensors I think are mounted near the radiator core support. I'm sure Bernie will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Not trying to HIjack the thread, but I have a 2000 F-150 that the airbag signal flashes 2 7 here.

I too don't care to pay the Ford Dealer diagnostic money if the code is something simple.

:)

Thanks

·
Banned
15,714 Posts
Not trying to HIjack the thread, but I have a 2000 F-150 that the airbag signal flashes 2 7 here.

I too don't care to pay the Ford Dealer diagnostic money if the code is something simple.

:)

Thanks
You have an airbag switch indicator light out.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is what you originally said and what I was going by. That would be a code 44 from my interpretation. Code 46 is entirely different. I'll look it up and see what I come up with for an answer.
Yeah I know. I was guessing what the sequence was. I knew it blinked 4 times at first, but then never acutally counted the next set fully. After checking last night, it's definitely a 4 then 6 sequence.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking more about this today. Not too long ago Ford did a recall job on the cruise control. If I remember right, the work was to have something installed in the stearing column. I could be wrong on the location.

But mine is definitely giving the code 46 and not 34. I know the horn works as I had to honk at a van this past weekend for being a tard. And I know the cruise works, because we took a drive through the gorge and I used it.

C&E...any luck on finding the 46 code? Or is it the left hand crash sensor like Chromaflage said?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Found this via Google
http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic161664.htm

Air Bag Fault Code Table
AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FAULT CODE PRIORITY TABLE
Priority Code Component/Fault Description
Highest -- No Air Bag Lamp - Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor
| -- Continuous Air Bag Lamp - Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
| 12 Low Battery Voltage
| 13 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
| 21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted on Vehicle Properly
| 22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
| 23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
| 24 Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)
| 32 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 33 Pin 7 Not Grounded at Diagnostic Monitor
| 34 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
| 35 Low Resistance Across Pins 8 and 9 at Diagnostic Monitor
| 41 Crash Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 45 Center Radiator Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 46 LH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists
| 52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
| 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Lowest -- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Lamp - All Crash Sensors Disconnected

I found this chart at http://webcentrix.net/probe/service/airbag-fault.html
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Sorry, had a very busy day yesterday. Stickfish, 02 rangers don't have crash sensors I believe. Checking on this.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found this via Google
I've found that too, but a few that I found said that it was for the Ford Probe.

Thanks C&E. This has been happening for almost 2 weeks now, so a day or two more won't kill me :cheers:

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
Okay, sorry it took me so long to find the answer for ya. Code 46 is as Kerry mentioned, it is the front seat belt buckle pre-tensioner. It is testing for low resistence. What that means is the buckle has somehow deployed or the wire under the seat has come loose.

Remedy is one of two things. Find the lead under the seat and disconect it and then reconnect it. Then turn on the ignition and test for the warning light again. If this persists then the buckle will need to be replaced. Order it new from the dealer and install it. Test once more to check for code. It should be cleared.

More than likely you have some stuff under the seat that may have knocked this connector loose. Could be as simple as plugging it back in. A minor accident will even set the buckles off but not the bags. The buckles are pirotechnic in nature and you can usually visably see if they have discharged. Compare your buckle on one side to the opposite side. If it is sucked down, replace it. Also make sure your seatbelt itself is in proper working order and retracting properly. If not, replace it too. On the seat belts there is usually a code the dealer will need to get the correct one for you. You can find this by pulling the belt by hand out far enough to see the white tag with numbers.

Hope this helps ya. AGain sorry I took so long.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much! I'll check it out tonight when I get home. No worries on the extra day to find an answer for me, I just appreciate the time you spent.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I have a 98 Mazda B4000- Once every few months my airbag light decides to flash at me. Whenever it happens I have a fun mental picture of me just cruising along on the freeway and having my airbag deploy in my face. :laugh:

At least now I have a better sense of things it might be trying to tell me besides "duck and cover!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts