IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
With the Ninja we made the New Years hoppin-jon. Soaked black eyed peas over night then used the pressure cooker for 5 minutes then added ham and slow cooked. Great appliance and the beans came out very good.

I made black eye peas and ham too in the instant pot. Soaked overnight then set the pot for 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m thinking about getting an air fryer, but I’m not crazy about yet another counter appliance.
I’m wondering if I just bought a mesh pan if my wall convection oven would function as an air fryer. I mean, air fryers just emit heat and let air circulate, similar to my convection oven, correct reheat pizza in an air fryer?
If I’m correct, my problem is finding a mesh pan for a wall oven. So far, I can’t find a stand-alone mesh pan, just wire racks that expect to rest in a cookie sheet, which will block heat & air.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
We have a Pampered Chef air frier and not overly impressed….but others are probably just better with it.
I like the conventional oven, and chicken wings on a rack do just the same….And no worries about space when feeding more people.

My vote is save your money, use the oven…just my experience.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,729 Posts
I only have two things to say about the air fryer.

Bacon

and

Reheated Pizza

The rest is good but those two things are the best.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on buying one. I was privy to trying one and it was a miserable fail. I followed the instruction to a "t" but food had to be thrown out. My fishing buddy drools all over theirs, bragging them up. Makes me wonder what I did wrong to make it unpalatable. Another appliance is NOT what I need or want to clutter the kitchen but I see that they are combined with toaster/convection ovens so maybe the "will" will overcome "the won't". First things first... I gotta make it work. Fried cod/rockfish is a top request of mine so I am interested in making it work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was your food getting over cooked, or under cooked?

It took a few tries with ours to finally love it. Cooking time and temps can vary depending on your make/model, and the food you are cooking. I use the instructions and other recipies I find on the internet as loose guidelines. I found a lot of recipies overcooked our food when followed. It took some trial and error, but now it cooks up perfect salmon and fried fish in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
We made breaded rockfish chunks in ours tonight. Yummy!

·
Registered
.. / .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .... .- ...- . / .-. .. --. .... - / -... .- .. - / - --- / --. . - /
3,369 Posts
My dad got us one of these for Christmas a couple years ago. My wife is always VERY skeptical about new appliances cluttering up her kitchen but this one has won us over. One of our recent discoveries with it has been "battered" ling cod chunks. Oh my. Oh MY! My wife avoids gluten (migraine trigger) so not only are we air-frying it but it's GF as well. The essence of the recipe is, the fish is coated in seasoned mayo thinned a bit by water, then rolled in GF bread crumbs. The mayo provides some fat to get things sizzling.

Cleanup is really easy by any measure but especially compared to cleaning up after deep frying.

If you are trying to get away from the mess and calories of deep frying, I suggest giving one of these goofy looking things a try.

We own two air fryers... one for over 6 years. These are one of the best inventions EVER... Perfect fish everytime, from french fries to cakes it does it all. IT makes PERFECT egg rolls, coated crispy okra and if you have not roasted seasoned garbanzo beans from the can to crunchy... you are really missing out. Saves energy costs as well.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Look up Pinterest they have lots of air fryer recipes. One we got was baked potatoes. My wife and daughter think they are the best. I never had good results with breading fish and cooking the pieces in it, maybe need to use the mayo. But reheating fried fish is the only way to go. Ours is out all the time for our GK's they have us heat everything in it. Mini Corn dogs to burger patties it all cooks and better than heating up the big oven. We have really found a use for the Ninja. We broiled steaks the other night.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My wife decided to ge one and did her research. Came home with what looks like a larger toaster oven. She says it holds more fish, can see them thru the glass and oven feature she uses for warming breads, vegies etc. Says the airfryer is nothing but an oven that circulates hot air. The one she bought has that funnction as well as broil, and bake. Cooks fish like regular air fryer. thats all I know. and it cost like 60 bucks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
we have the ninja 2 compartment air fryer (previously we had 2 different make/models that didn't last). It is great for fried fish, homemade fries, etc...we like making our own batter and frying fish in a small amount of avocado or sun flower seed oil.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts