IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I thought there should be a new thread on 'General' for recipes, how is it working and ideas. I said I would give an up date for my attempt with my new Ninja Foodi so here it is.
Last night was the first good test it was halibut and some potatoes.
First the potatoes were pre cooked from the night before. I took the bakers and cut them into pieces and placed in the air fryer. Set at 18 minutes at 400 degrees and checked at 12 minutes. They came out hard on the outside and rubbery on the inside. They didn't have any crispy texture and were not the golden brown of a good skillet fry. Disappointed.
Next I took the halibut and cut it into medium size pieces, breaded and placed in the air fryer. I put it at 390 degrees for 20 minutes. Checked periodically for a good crisp outside. It really never got there and so while waiting I must have over cooked. The fish came out dry and lacked any flavor. The outside was not the good crisp of a deep fryer oil bath. If you had health reasons so as not to be able to use oil this is a alternative. There were no big raves from my wife and mother but I didn't expect any after trying these myself. The big hit was the rib-eye barbecued steak.
My wife and I have discussed the pro's and con's of the air fryer. There is definitely a learning curve to this new appliance. There is going to be more time invested in this with cooking and learning. Hopefully over time the cost of it will be negotiated by the value of the product it delivers.
So lets get some more testimonials from other users(not just the foodi), recipes, do's and don'ts, what works best. I am eager to use mine more and more for the ease of clean-up, time cooking and hopefully come good cooking.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
With the red air fryer I showed in the pic up top,

- ling cod fillet, skinless and deboned, cut into 2"X1" chunks;

- dredge in mayo that has a shot of sriracha, a jolt of fresh lime juice, a bit of garlic salt, and salt and pepper;

- roll in bread crumbs; we use Trader Joe's rice crumbs because gluten is a migraine trigger for my wife;

- air fry on 400 until browning occurs.

The opposite of dry and stringy. Moist, juicy, and every bite better than the one before.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
You rat bastids are going to sell me an air fryer on my own damn air fryer thread! :)

VERY interested in hearing results/opinions.... we used the Instant Pot tonight to make some spicy "pulled venison'" and it worked great. Since I have an air fryer and an instant pot I *think* I can imagine combining both in one appliance. Brave new world, lol.

Like you we have both now plus a big slow cooker. Before I buy another pantry gadget I'm holding off for the Ninja Air Fryer, slow cooker, pressure cooker, food processor and vacuum packer all in one model soon to be unveiled.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mrs got an air fryer a couple of weeks ago and I've been on guinea pig duty, sampling experiments almost daily. Buffalo Wings were amazing. But the panko crusted onion rings stuffed with guacamole were really really good. No grease. No guilt. Right?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Willie can you throw up some info, recipe,time cooking,temp. You know the stuff. I think I messed up on the panko crusted halibut. It cooks dry and leaving it in to long didn't help. Someone may have had better success.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Willie can you throw up some info, recipe,time cooking,temp. You know the stuff. I think I messed up on the panko crusted halibut. It cooks dry and leaving it in to long didn't help. Someone may have had better success.
It crucial to place the onion slices on a cookie sheet/ wax paper. Fill slices with your favorite guacamole and freeze for about an hour. This will allow you to to bread it with seasoned flour/ egg wash/ panko and keep the guac where it's supposed to be.
Set air fryer to 375
Rotate shelves at 10 and 20 minutes.
Flip. Finish in 3 or 4 more minutes when the crust appears to be at the appropriate crispness.
Let cool for a minute or 2 and enjoy!

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
That sounds really good ww. Kingkiller, try the fish breaded the way the op listed with mayo then bread crumbs or panko etc. I've done a couple batches and like an egg, mayo, lime juice blend and then roll in seasoned bread crumbs for fish. Worked good on razors but I think I like broiling the razors better as it's hotter/quicker that razors need.

Reheating previously made fish sticks, pizza, burritos, tamales, etc are great. I like making a traditional fried batch of fish and then freezing like fish sticks and reheating for quick lunch or fish tacos is great.

For things like store bought fries or spring rolls etc, spray a light coating of oil on them and it makes it good without the soaked in oil of deep frying.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Sad news for air fryers. I can tell when something has saturated the market and maybe more of fad than what we believe by simply going into Goodwill and checking the shelves. You know a few years back it was the Ronco rotisserie that was in every thrift store along with the one push egg sheller, one push and you had a hard boiled egg free of its shell. I even bought one of these for the wife. It certainly shelled the egg with one wack but also splattered the egg all over the place. One wack and it was headed for Goodwill. Well I hate to say it but yesterday while the wife was checking out Goodwill for goodies I wondered around and in two stores I found not one but several air fryers, two of which looked new and unused. I even found one of those Ninja units at Tillamook. So this might be a red flag for air fryers a fad or will it prevail.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Like my George Forman grill so goes my Ninja(maybe). But wait I think Quiet Riot has it right. Pre-breaded items should work great in the air fryer like tater tots that I love but in the deep fryer they really soak in the oils. French fries and all of the other things like that. After my first cook, deep fry, it is difficult to get the fish back to its original feel and taste. I seem to burn it when back in the fry pan so the air fryer maybe the ticket. I am heading to the kitchen to pressure cook some eggs to hard boiled status. From looking at the cook book I know there are many things that can be done with this gadget so I am not ready to give up on it just yet. We need more Mr. or Mrs. Mom's to throw ideas in.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Made a mighty nice rockfish po' boy for lunch today with a quick air fryer reheat. I won't be goodwilling mine anytime soon. Been using it pretty regularly for 2 years now.
Looks good. I think like anything there is a learning curve. We did french fries and they came out very good. We also did commercially prepared cod, calamari and oysters. The cod was good, the calamari not so good and the oysters horrible. We compared these to doing them in a wok in oil.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Mini corn dogs in the fryer. The kids loved them and they are one picky bunch of kids. Even the adults liked them.

Also pressure cooked hard boiled eggs came out great.

+1 for the unit.

·
Registered
963 Posts
One of the dishes we enjoy about once a month is Fried Chicken Thighs. Guilty pleasure. Crisp, delicious. Wouldn't change anything. Seriously, wonderful stuff. Great the next day too, cold out in the boat or wherever. So, when the Mrs asked if I thought we should try fried Chicken in the air fryer I said , He** NO! I don't care if it's unhealthy! It's perfect the way it is. I beg you.....don't bast#$dize the chicken!
My pleas fell on deaf ears. And I couldn't believe how fantastic it turned out. So once a month, Bastar*ized Chicken will be on our menu. Just a misting of coconut oil gave it all the crispness it needed. I might be going to Goodwill to pickup an extra air fryer . Or 2.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ok, here goes.
Soak the boneless, skinless thighs in buttermilk for at least an hour. ( Optional)
Dredge thighs in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, return to seasoned flour . Shake off excess. Spray both sides of each thigh with coconut oil.
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
Rotate shelves at 10 min and flip thighs.
10 more min.
Done.
Insure that inside temp of thigh is at least 165. Ours came up to 180 and it seemed perfect. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Ok, here goes.
Soak the boneless, skinless thighs in buttermilk for at least an hour. ( Optional)
Dredge thighs in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, return to seasoned flour . Shake off excess. Spray both sides of each thigh with coconut oil.
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
Rotate shelves at 10 min and flip thighs.
10 more min.
Done.
Insure that inside temp of thigh is at least 165. Ours came up to 180 and it seemed perfect. Enjoy!
Thanks, made it tonight with boneless thighs and came out great.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
With the Ninja we made the New Years hoppin-jon. Soaked black eyed peas over night then used the pressure cooker for 5 minutes then added ham and slow cooked. Great appliance and the beans came out very good.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts