IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can only speak to the air fryer I posted a pic of, and the instant pot but if you bought either, money well spent. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same air fryer as the OP. The only complaint or improvement I wish it had was a window to see the food cook. My friend has one with a window and it prevents you from needing to open the fryer to see how done the food is. It's a small thing in reality.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
We have done many batches of Wings. They are awesome!
Same here.
Whenever I find a good deal on the IQF wings, I stock the freezer up.

Frozen wings turn out great.
Put them in the fryer.
Set temp to 380.
Timer to 30 minutes.
Turn on and then just flip them every 5 minutes or so.
I sprinkle them on both sides with poultry seasoning after they thaw (at the first 5 minute flip).
When you get to 10 minutes left, turn up to 400.

Sometimes I will finish them with good old Franks wing sauce for the buffalo wing taste.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For kitchen appliances and tools, I usually check out what "America's Test Kitchen" or Cooks Country" recommends. They test them pretty thoroughly. I don't always agree with their recommendations though. Their choice for vacuum sealer was sub-par in my opinion, and I don't like their choice for chef's knife. Other than those they seems pretty solid

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Did the seasoned mayo then panko on some fresh lingcod and black rockfish last night. Really good. Played around with a few different tries and liked a light dusting of Cajun fish fry, then dipped in mayo egg lemon juice mixture, then panko.

And yes the air fryer works on razors, just get it hot first and play with timing so you don't turn the clams into rubber.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
We picked a "Ninja Foodi" up in Costco on Saturday... they have them for $180.

Supposedly an air fryer + steamer + pressure cooker + slow cooker all in one. Going to try making albacore fish n chips in it tonight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
You rat bastids are going to sell me an air fryer on my own damn air fryer thread! :)

VERY interested in hearing results/opinions.... we used the Instant Pot tonight to make some spicy "pulled venison'" and it worked great. Since I have an air fryer and an instant pot I *think* I can imagine combining both in one appliance. Brave new world, lol.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Whole chicken in the Foodi, 22 minutes in the pressure cooker and 13 in the fryer. Came out very good. Caught the wife picking at the chicken after she had eaten. Easy clean up.

I wouldn't say it fell apart like if you crock potted it or pan fried it for hours. But that was my first try and there will be more tries.

May need to make a separate thread just for the Foodi's, air fryers. Reviews of what you cooked and how it turned out.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Our first attempt at albacore fish-n-chips was mixed.

Since you can't really use a liquid batter, our plan was to lightly oil the fish, roll it in egg white, then roll it in flour then a final coat of panko then into the air fryer. Only we didn't have panko... I made our own with some toasted bread. It was good, with the fish nice and moist but it was missing the crunchy crust I was hoping for. I think it would have been a lot better with rice flour (crunchier) and real panko).

The potatoes were kind of meh... I don't think we used enough oil on them, so they came out more baked than fried/crispy.

I also made some fried brussel sprouts in it and they came out excellent. I put those in a bowl and added some olive oil, salt, and pepper then shook it all up for a few minutes to get everything nice and coated.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
We eat a lot of Brussels, but I hadn't thought of that! Hmmmm

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
I've had good luck with wings in my Wally World Farberware. But sweet potato chips were a disaster -- although it could have partially been the fault of the recipe. You have to be very consistent about slice thickness in order not to burn half the batch.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts