IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad got us one of these for Christmas a couple years ago. My wife is always VERY skeptical about new appliances cluttering up her kitchen but this one has won us over. One of our recent discoveries with it has been "battered" ling cod chunks. Oh my. Oh MY! My wife avoids gluten (migraine trigger) so not only are we air-frying it but it's GF as well. The essence of the recipe is, the fish is coated in seasoned mayo thinned a bit by water, then rolled in GF bread crumbs. The mayo provides some fat to get things sizzling.

Cleanup is really easy by any measure but especially compared to cleaning up after deep frying.

If you are trying to get away from the mess and calories of deep frying, I suggest giving one of these goofy looking things a try.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
That fish looks mighty tasty. Like you said deep fat frying has its cleanup for sure. My wife is not one to fry fish or seafood so I usually to that in the shop using a big wok on the Camp Chef stove. It works great but I have the wok to clean up dump the oil and put everything back so I have a shop again. I don't mind dumping the oil as I save it for brush burning. So now I may need to check out what Black Friday deals there are on these units. If anyone sees a deal please post.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
BiMart has the Gowise model on sale for $49.99 regularly $79.99, a BF thing. Good deal, we are and have been looking at one for some time just haven't pulled the trigger. I like the good review JeffO gave on the brand. They range from very expensive to a decent price. Just not interested in buying a cheapo, my wife would be the first to say 'you get what you pay for'. I am debating between elk hunting, friends kid has a youth hunt, or black Friday for the Grand Kids and family. Leaning towards BF we have until December 31st to get the elk.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Good looking fish jeffo.

I love the air fryer. I make about 5-10lbs of fried rockfish at a time in a regular fryer, but keep it just short of the golden brown finish. I freeze and then vacuum pack in bundles and take them out for fish sticks/tacos and reheat with the air fryer for quick meals like work lunch. Nice crunchy coating reheated with air fryer.

Will have to try your mayo coating on the next fresh catch.

Cajun fish fry mix on frozen bluefin steaks is killer there also. And just shake the basket out is my normal cleaning. This meal was a microwaved veggie/tater and air fried bft steak, 10 minutes tops.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow- there's some awesome cooks on this site.

My wife is in charge of awesome cookery, though I do make a mean venison burger. :)

I never in a million years would've bought one of these wacky looking "air fryer" widgets. But we love it! Same with the Instant Pot my bro gave me the next Xmas, but that's a different thread.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
That fish looks mighty tasty. Like you said deep fat frying has its cleanup for sure. My wife is not one to fry fish or seafood so I usually to that in the shop using a big wok on the Camp Chef stove. It works great but I have the wok to clean up dump the oil and put everything back so I have a shop again. I don't mind dumping the oil as I save it for brush burning. So now I may need to check out what Black Friday deals there are on these units. If anyone sees a deal please post.
I think Costco has one on sale.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Thinking the Ninja Foodi Tendercrisp. Pressure cooker and air fryer plus more wrapped up in one. Watched the You Tube videos looks like the dream machine. On sale at Khol's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I work out of town six months out of the year doing maintenance on a USCG ship. During that time I'm holed up in the Homewood Suites Seattle. I cook in the micro kitchen and the Air Fryer and Instantpot are life savers. With those two devices it's possible to cook very nice meals quickly and easily. Air fryers cook a nice steak. Pressure cooker hard boiled eggs are fast and peel right every time. +1 for both gadgets.

I've cooked chicken wings, chicken legs, chicken breasts, steaks, hard boiled eggs, rock fish, salmon, muffins, banana bread and garlic bread in my air fryer. It works great.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
I work out of town six months out of the year doing maintenance on a USCG ship. During that time I'm holed up in the Homewood Suites Seattle. I cook in the micro kitchen and the Air Fryer and Instantpot are life savers. With those two devices it's possible to cook very nice meals quickly and easily. Air fryers cook a nice steak. Pressure cooker hard boiled eggs are fast and peel right every time. +1 for both gadgets.

I've cooked chicken wings, chicken legs, chicken breasts, steaks, hard boiled eggs, rock fish, salmon, muffins, banana bread and garlic bread in my air fryer. It works great.

Baby Back ribs 30 minutes in the Insta-pot are the best but need to finished for color with some BBQ sauce on the grill. I would bet putting them into the air fryer would do the same.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I've been watching video's on the Nija Foodi, very impressed. Pressure cooker and air fryer in the same appliance. I went out Christmas shopping and ended up at Kohl's. Got $60 Kohl's cash, a 25% off coupon and a $10 off if you spend over $50 I think I can get one for around $65. I'll wrap it up and put from Santa on it. But that will be tough because I am looking forward to using it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Since some other guys brought it up the wife bought an instant pot a month ago. I was kinda upset her spending money on something we don’t really need right now. But we use it all the time. It makes wonderful whole chicken with a bonus of nummy broth. Pork roasts and rice. Hard boiled eggs that guarantee peel which with our fresh eggs from our chickens don’t always do that. Even cooked a cheesecake in it. As a bonus it’s quick too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’ve had the ninja foodi for about a year and love it. Best thing ever invented, we cook just about everything in it. Hard boiled eggs in 4 minutes, whole chicken in about 25 min. I also purchased at kohl’s.:)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts