IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard of an incident on a favorite Oregon river of mine (public land) where a bank angler had to shoot a big, off-leash dog that was attacking him. He then had to deal with an unhappy dog owner. This scenario makes me cringe, as I really like hike-in angling on state and federal lands. Bears and cats don't really scare me, but aggressive dogs and their owners do. I wonder how common this is? Have any of you had serious incidents with aggressive dogs while fishing NW rivers?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a run in last year while morel hunting. A guy had trained his dog to aggressively go up to people and bark and growl within two feet. He did this to deter people from hunting mushrooms around him. Very well trained dog, as soon as he called the dog stopped and went back. I told the guy not smart considering every mushroom hunter has a knife. I crossed paths a second time with this guy, but this time he called the dog back within seconds of it starting to bark. I think I definitely put the thought that he could lose his dog over this.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I don’t really understand letting your dog go a distance from you unless you are literally hunting. There are far too many things that could happen to your dog not to mention, what is the point of having your dog out with you for companionship if it’s not a companion?

We were hiking into a river and had a dog run up to us barking and growling. The owner was barely fast enough to keep his dog from being shot which would have been sad for the dog, and maybe the owner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was hiking the little N fk Wilson last year looking for some fish, and two uncollared, very aggressive dogs charged me out of the bushes barking - miles away from the road alone. One was a pit mix and the other some other variety of large dog. They ran in front of and behind me, snapping at me, and I was afraid for my life. If I had been packing - I would have been right at the threshold for defending myself. I went and got my CCL cert after that - the owner who came out of the bushes later should have been more aware. I am a dog owner myself - it is fully your responsibility to control your dogs behavior in some fashion.

Playing with fire with your dogs running wild folks.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Dogs bark. It's what they do. Just because you're afraid of a dog doesn't give you the right to shoot it. Good way to get yourself shot.
I beg to differ. I am afraid of any dogs that appear aggressive. If your dogs are off leash and appear aggressive, I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later. Control your dogs. It's your responsibility to make sure I'm not afraid enough to shoot your dogs. If it goes down this way and you pull your gun, prepare to meet your maker. I'll defend myself from your dogs and your gun.

This statement from Maidu bothers me so much, I have to elaborate. I have two dogs and we live on 10 acres in a rural setting. We let our dogs roam our property. They had never left before. We got a new dog who is 9 months and she started roaming off our property. She is a whippet and would likely lick you to death but would never hurt a person. Neither would ever bark or snarl at a person, yet I worry they could get shot roaming the neighborhood. It's my responsibility to keep those dogs safe and, for that matter, to make sure my neighbors feel safe about themselves, their pets, farm animals and kids. My dogs roaming without me, is breaking the law and the unwritten rules of being a good neighbor. We are now going to start locking them up when we leave the house. It's a bummer but it has to happen.

When I was young, my dad and I shot quite a number of dogs that were killing or chasing our sheep herd. This is the way it goes. We tried asking neighbors to pay for the livestock and keep their dogs in but it didn't happen. We decided it was better to just shoot and kill the offending dogs and make them disappear. I stand by this decision. If your dog roams and you let it, your dog is in danger in a community and out in the "wild". If your dog is aggressive, it's that much worse. If you are so stupid that you don't know your dog is aggressive and you pull a gun after I shoot it, you are in danger too. Don't do it.

Chass

·
Registered
37,724 Posts
I've had the legal right to shoot several dogs that have attacked my own dogs but hasn't happened yet. Last time was by some woman's Standard Poodle grabbing the GWP I had last fall. I'd encountered same woman and dogs on previous walks and she had no control over them. I'm going to start packing more often now that I have another dog.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Once I was bow hunting on timber land near Estacada when three very large dogs surrounded me barking. They were walking round and round me getting closer at which point I took a arrow from my quiver to use as a poker if needed. As soon as I did that they sensed something and High tailed it out of there. No owner to be found, they were roaming. Another time I was bank fishing the Clack standing in the water when a Bull Mastiff showed up barking and snarling on the bank. I though ok I'm in the water I should be ok. The dog proceeded to wade into the river at which point I popped out my automatic knife. The split second that knife came out the dog retreated and then the owner finely caught up with him. My experience with bears, cougars and dogs has been if you brandish something they know it and take off. I would be hard pressed to kill a dog.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dogs bark. It's what they do. Just because you're afraid of a dog doesn't give you the right to shoot it. Good way to get yourself shot.
Are you for real?? Tell that to my ex wife's sister who was mauled on a beack when she was 10 by a rottweiler. "Just because you're afraid of a dog" why don't you put yourself in someone else's shoes. I have had aggressive dogs come at me before. In each case the aggressive animal had an owner who had no business owning a dog. "oh he won't bite" . That's what the rott owners said" He had never done that before". Keep your fkn dogs on a leash. How hard is it to respect other people?

·
Registered
352 Posts
In grays harbor county they have very strict leash laws due to the farms down there. My brother in law shot his next door neighbors dogs when they wandered onto his farm. My brother in law was nice enough to drag them on to his porch so he could bury them if he wanted to. The neighbor politely thanked him for returning his dogs and nothing else, he knew the laws and knew it was his fault that his dogs were dead. Owner is completely responsible for maintaining control of his animals.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
My favorites are the stories of people that have vicious dogs that are killed by someone and they comment saying "They could have handled it differently" Uhhhh your dog was killing my dog/kid/family member, etc....

Our Neighbor seems to constantly let his 5 dogs roam free and they end up in my back yard...they also end up in the other neighbors yard that has goats and chickens...Which they have attacked before apparently. Well one day one dog went missing and another came back with his guts hanging out...and to this day he still lets his dogs roam!

Scariest moment was when I was doing yardwork in front of my house with a metal rake...out of nowhere a big A** Rottweiler came charging at me barking, growling, etc....pretty frightening all things considered. Rake Vs dog...wonder the outcome. I was fully prepared to kill...Owner picked him up maybe a minute later...seemed a lot longer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A friendly reminder that you should be prepared to face any potential legal issues that arise if you discharge a weapon at a dog on public land/property. Criminal charges? Maybe not, but don't think a civil suit is out of the question, and it has the potential to be expensive.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I don’t think anyone wants to shoot a dog. Of course, legal issues can go the other way as well if you choose to let your dog run free.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My wife and I have a number of dogs try and attack us when walking our Springers on leash on public property. I always carry a can of extremely powerful pepper spray called "Fox Five Point Three". It has stopped every dog in their tracks including Pits. It also has ultraviolet dye that law enforcement can identify with a black light. One big dog now turns and runs when he sees us. He knows we have bad juju, heavy medicine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My wife and I have a number of dogs try and attack us when walking our Springers on leash on public property. I always carry a can of extremely powerful pepper spray called "Fox Five Point Three". It has stopped every dog in their tracks including Pits. It also has ultraviolet dye that law enforcement can identify with a black light. One big dog now turns and runs when he sees us. He knows we have bad juju, heavy medicine.
Big medicine!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I was attacked by a dog at age 6, had my cheek torn off, and had 7 surgeries over the course of 8 years to repair the damage. Still have the scars. So..I think I've earned the right to comment on this issue. I would never shoot a dog that was barking or acting aggressive. It's fairly common knowledge that dogs will act aggressive (bark, growl, false charge) as a warning and this does not result in being attacked. Once a dog actually bites, that's a different story, but shooting a dog simply for acting aggressive makes you look trigger happy and also shifts the liability to you. If you're worried, get pepper spray or similar as mentioned above - it's been proven to be more effective anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently heard of an incident on a favorite Oregon river of mine (public land) where a bank angler had to shoot a big, off-leash dog that was attacking him. He then had to deal with an unhappy dog owner. This scenario makes me cringe, as I really like hike-in angling on state and federal lands. Bears and cats don't really scare me, but aggressive dogs and their owners do. I wonder how common this is? Have any of you had serious incidents with aggressive dogs while fishing NW rivers?
I'm glad the fisherman had a gun and defended himself. Big, aggressive off-leash dogs have no place in public. Period.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was hiking the little N fk Wilson last year looking for some fish, and two uncollared, very aggressive dogs charged me out of the bushes barking - miles away from the road alone. One was a pit mix and the other some other variety of large dog. They ran in front of and behind me, snapping at me, and I was afraid for my life. If I had been packing - I would have been right at the threshold for defending myself. I went and got my CCL cert after that - the owner who came out of the bushes later should have been more aware. I am a dog owner myself - it is fully your responsibility to control your dogs behavior in some fashion.

Playing with fire with your dogs running wild folks.
It is legal under Oregon law to carry concealed while going to or coming from and during hunting or fishing.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts