IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only imagine that this has been asked time and time again. But what is the answer? For TROLL RODS ONLY, do you use mono or braid for tuna? And why? Also, anyone ever string a Tanacom with mono?

· Registered
1,737 Posts
80# braid with a 60' topshot of 100-150# mono (depending on what's on sale). The braid holds up well, and you can always reverse the wind-on to double the life...

· Registered
troll, jig bait
1,698 Posts
80-130# braid to 5' of 200# mono leader. Albacore dont care. I am running heavier gear in case I hook into something bigger then albacore. Mono as a shock aborber, thats what the rods are for and how much of a shock absorber do hand lines have lol. Only benefit of mono is its easier to untangle because its thicker.

· Premium Member
980 Posts
65# braid tied to a swivel, then a 6' 150# mono leader to the lure.
Funny how we overthink simple things sometimes. Handlines with tuna cord catch the snot out of tuna on commercial boats,and we get picky. Tuna don't care

· Registered
1,156 Posts
I use to run 65lb braid, but running 8 rods I've had some tangles on W.O bites when I had a green crew onboard, it happens. I can't afford to have braided line getting cut. The last several seasons I have been running 60lb mono, it's tough, easy to untangle, I can get 2 - 3 seasons on it so it's affordable in bulk rolls. Last season, we had a 6 way go off, I have no idea how the guy's got all 6 twisted up, but they did. I left the helm and boat in gear idling, we took our time and got 5 out 6 fish, not peanuts or footballs either, nice 15-20lbers in and no cutting of the lines. As stated, Alberts don't care about a line, if they did, you wouldn't get them on Tuna cord hand lines. Braid really comes into play now days because of the smaller reels that have been produced that have great drag and look sexy, plus the added line capacity using braid. That is the downside to heavy mono and a smaller reel, so you have to pick which camp your in, either is fine for Albacore,,,gregg

· Registered
14,717 Posts
Mono on troll rods. Spectra to top shot on jig/bait rods.

Mono does better with repeated use in salt. Has stretch. Doesnt tangle as bad. $.02

Reactions: Don G Baldi

· Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
15,153 Posts
Still using the same rods and reels for Halibut, Tuna, deep rockfish and an occasional Marlin. Some of them are actually Ugly Stik yellow poles with Penn 4/0's and they still kick ass. (whhhhaaaa? clutching pearls) Actually the Marlin was hooked on a 4/0 with 40# mono, we had no chance of landing it. So it's 80# braid and 200# mono leaders on the jigs. Lasts forever and you can get alot on a reel. Never understood topshots or the reasons people use them. Charlie Tuna does not care. I have tied a Zuker directly to a 200# Ashaway tuna cord. Caught three or four fish on it too.

K.I.S.S.

Reactions: Dan9113

· Registered
21 Posts
I have been running 60 pound top shot of mono on my troll setups and 50 or 65 pound braid with 30 pound fluorocarbon leader for my live bait and jigs. I did lose one nice spreader bar doing this last season trying to hang the troll fish as decoys while we converted a bait stop. The bait rods braid sliced it off.

· Registered
14,717 Posts
Once you become competent at tying a good connection (I prefer the FG knot) it helps tremendously. I like using 50# spectra to 30-40# flouro for a lot of things. Much easier and more effective than mono. I use an FG connection for everything from steelhead. To rockfish. Lings. Albacore. Blue Fin. Etc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts