IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My b5 curado needs a rebuild (hundred or so salmon will do that). I was wondering if there are some good aftermarket parts that will increase already great performance. Also who is a good shop that has a quick turnaround time on repairs?
Tight lines
WRO

·
Registered
143 Posts
The bearings in your curado can be upgraded to an ABEC 7 spec. Upon customer request I use a high performance reel oil that reduces friction even further for longer casts. Turnaround time right now for my shop is about 2 weeks depending upon what parts are needed and the brand of reel. Let me know if you need additional help.
Al

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about drag washers, it there an upgrade for those too? for my curado.

·
Registered
143 Posts
WillametteRiverOutlaw,
There are two upgrades that I deal with for drag washers. They are the Penn HT100 material (my favorite) and Smooothie drags. Neither is available for your curado as far as I know. Now with some reels, strange things can happen when you exceed the factory drag potential. Things like twisted frames, etc happen when you button down the drag too much with a big fish and heavy line. Your curado is a fine reel and can stand up to salmon but it's really a steelhead class reel. The stock shimano washers are good IF the person who services it applies the SHIMANO brand drag grease in the proper amount. This leads to a smooth drag that lasts a long time. That's your best option. As far as bearings, they can be upgraded to a higher spec. That doesn't always translate to better casting. Some guys who really like spending money will want their upgraded to Japanese-spec reels and add a bearing. I would stick with a good service, possibly get a bearing upgrade and the reel will last you a long time and be better than new. Check my web site for my labor rates if it sounds like something you would like me to do for you.
Al

·
Registered
143 Posts
BonkBonkBonk,
Changing the C3 class Abu reels to a C4 is a really nice upgrade. It makes a big difference. I've sent a lot of people out fishing the Rogue with these stealth C4 reels that have been upgraded. I've gotten only positive feedback. The upgrade basically requires a new levelwind gear and pawl, plus a bearing or two. The parts aren't super cheap, but combined with good service the reels are way better than new. Parts run about 28.00 if you need both bearings. Now as far as ceramic bearings go, (we are now talking spool bearings on the ABU)I am not a big fan of these as far as value for the money. You have to remember that these bearings are really hybrids, meaning only the bearings and cages are ceramic and the races are steel. An abec-5 or abec-7 bearing with high performance oil will perform as well in my experience and is half the price. But I have had customers who like the idea and bragging rights of ceramics so I do install them on request. They run about 45.00 a pair.Check my web site for labor rates if you are interested.
Hope this helps,
Al

·
Registered
391 Posts
hey cool thanks. i wanted to put my c4 single bearing levelwind into my c3 reel, and put the dual bearing levelwind into my c4:)
when i get to oreogn ill have to look ya up

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would like to know why anyone would use a Curado for salmon? It is such a small reel I have one and love it for steelhead and bass. I could maybe see it for coho, but not chinook.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts