IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That lot was jammed yesterday(Saturday). Every spot taken and I am still amazed at how folks get their rigs in the open spots. There were a couple spots that I could see as I drove out of the parking lot where some trailers were over the line next to them so the spot next to them was void of parking. Not sure they do that on purpose or not. To me it seems like you will get your self trapped in a parking spot due to turning radius. I just park out in the street and make sure I am well off the road. If someone is going to hit me it will be while they are looking at a text message and the damage will be more than a tail light.
If the police help Dave out or not I hope the person steps forward and takes responsibility that's important now a days, can't hurt. IMO.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Someone hit my new trailer and broke out a tail light after just a few times of parking at Newport. Was not surprised and thought it was expected when parking in a lot layed out so poorly. What I was disappointed in was that there wan't a note left. I assumed higher standards from my fellow fishermen. Geez, it was a $60.00 dollar light, just fess up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is what happens when politicians decide what laws they want to enforce and which ones they don't want to enforce. Just look at the district attorney for Multnomah County, Portland, Seattle or the Attorney General for the state of Washington. Pretty soon we'll all be deciding what laws we want to obey and which ones we will ignore. Sad state of affairs!

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
Lots of speculation about how the police won’t do anything and various other uninformed BS. If he had a plate and the name and contact info for the person who was the witness, I’m certain the police will try to locate a suspect. It does not help he didn’t call right away.

Yeah, those parking lot hit and runs with no plates, no video and no suspect information don’t get much traction because there isn’t anything to work with. Especially when it starts with “this happened a week ago and my insurance company said I needed to make a report.”

Newport isn’t Portland. They are a service oriented agency and will undoubtedly do the best job they can with what they have to work with.

Reactions: KingSlew

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I had to disconnect my trailer and hand-roll it into the narrow spot I used Friday.

Reactions: DogZilla15

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Lots of speculation about how the police won’t do anything and various other uninformed BS. If he had a plate and the name and contact info for the person who was the witness, I’m certain the police will try to locate a suspect. It does not help he didn’t call right away.
I totally disagree…I have already told the story…so the short version is…

350 dollar trailer hitch stolen at Pig and Blanket, in NEWPORT…
went to the useless police station , with a very clear video of the whole thing….nothing happened.
So my grandson thru FB, post video and got the ID…I call it in.
name , address, everything….
nothing…although he said he was all over it….nothing
A week later the grandson arranges to get it from a uncle.
I call and report, he asks if I want to press charges…and I say YES
Nothing…
I tell the cop the only thing left is punishment and we can arrange that also, and he told me if we did, we would probably get sued and arrested.

Can you see I am still a bit angry, and not at the thief , as much as the useless lieing policeman.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,583 Posts
I guess the answer is go deal with it and don't involve the police.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Very wrong of the person not to leave a note , but how much did this actually cost the OP? Couldn’t be much.
Just let it ride, life isn’t always fair. Even though you are “ well connected “ police have more important worries.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Just let it ride, life isn’t always fair. Even though you are “ well connected “ police have more important worries."

NOPE.
When you go down that road it's far to easy to let it ride. No repercussions for garbage behavior coarsens society.
I'm not going to suggest we're going the way of Chicago, but if you don't stop this crap, it only gets worse.
Make the police do their jobs, unless they just want to hand out revenue generation coupons.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
its real simple, the police take your statement, look at evidence and anything else with your case. They then write up a report and submit it to the DA who then reviews the report and determines what then happens. If you want to make an impact go down to the DA's office and talk to the DA that got the report. Some of course are jolly on the spot and some need a kick in the pants. If the DA decides to pursue it then it gets good. The culprit is contacted, can be made to jump through all kinds of hoops, like coming down to the police station in Newport and giving a statement of what happened. Then they could be ticketed and have a trial date. If they need to get and attorney then the value goes up. A pain in the bu-- for the average person. But if more folks had to go through that process and the word got out you wouldn't see that stuff going on.
A good example is speeding in our little town(Philomath). On the way to the coast and home in the valley folks fly through our town. We use to be known for the speed traps that happened in the town and no one was nuts enough to speed. Then a new set of rules emerged and no one gets pulled over. Now it is pretty much go as fast as you want. Any way off subject sorry, just please slow down if you come through town. Thanks.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,583 Posts
LOL. I'm still slowing to 25 in Philomath. Actually saw the man in his car watching the cars go by.

This hit and run will be pursued by the insurance if you make a claim. First step is a police report. No one does this so they don't unless you push it. It's only a tail light so probably not worth it. We had a pretty spendy hit and run in a parking lot and filed a police report from the note under the wiper on the car. Someone saw the hit and run and took a picture of the car leaving.

I filed a police report and then called the insurance company. The driver was UUMV, no license or insurance but the adjuster made his life miserable. Our car got fixed. Not sure if justice was served but there was a consequence for the A hole behavior.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
I totally disagree…I have already told the story…so the short version is…

350 dollar trailer hitch stolen at Pig and Blanket, in NEWPORT…
went to the useless police station , with a very clear video of the whole thing….nothing happened.
So my grandson thru FB, post video and got the ID…I call it in.
name , address, everything….
nothing…although he said he was all over it….nothing
A week later the grandson arranges to get it from a uncle.
I call and report, he asks if I want to press charges…and I say YES
Nothing…
I tell the cop the only thing left is punishment and we can arrange that also, and he told me if we did, we would probably get sued and arrested.

Can you see I am still a bit angry, and not at the thief , as much as the useless lieing policeman.

Good luck.
Maybe you should request the police report. You seem to be under the impression the police get to make charging decisions for crimes. They don’t. They get to make probable cause arrest decisions but the prosecutor has exclusive authority to make charging decisions.

Reactions: KingSlew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
but for every bad person, there is a good person who saw you hit my trailer and I have your license plate number. Stuff happens, I get it. It was probably your friend parking your rig for you, maybe he told you maybe he didn't but by now you should see the considerable damage to your rig and tell you were not hit, you were the one doing the hitting. I got out of it of light (pun intended). Unbolted the light hammered the mount back out straight (almost) and will be back up and running in no time. So the deal is, PM me with the details on how you will pay me and we are done or I report the hit and run to the Police tomorrow. I think that is fair if it was a fellow Ifish member, if not someone is going to get a knock on the door from the state police.
‘why not just charge your client’s/crew a bit more to cover the repairs? After all, it’s a team effort;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Second the turning radius in the lot, I also had to disconnect a trailer and roll it around to get out of the crazy maze, long bed truck and a 25' trailer needs a little more room to turn.
If you don't get a front row or back row at Depot you could get trapped in the middle lanes until someone pulls out.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Don remember when the river was full of chinooks and lesser coho. That dumpster would be full of river Chinooks carcasses. Folks would come from all around to fish. That was many years ago so it is about time for an upgrade. I'm not complaining I'm just saying.

·
Registered
130 Posts
LOL. I'm still slowing to 25 in Philomath. Actually saw the man in his car watching the cars go by.

This hit and run will be pursued by the insurance if you make a claim. First step is a police report. No one does this so they don't unless you push it. It's only a tail light so probably not worth it. We had a pretty spendy hit and run in a parking lot and filed a police report from the note under the wiper on the car. Someone saw the hit and run and took a picture of the car leaving.

I filed a police report and then called the insurance company. The driver was UUMV, no license or insurance but the adjuster made his life miserable. Our car got fixed. Not sure if justice was served but there was a consequence for the A hole behavior.
Had my car hit by a shopping cart with chainlink fence on it at a home depot parking lot, scratched up the whole side. Police said they could do nothing because it was on private property. Insurance said they could not really do anything either but they threatened the guy with collections and he paid up after months.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
There is also small claims court, if you have his name and address, but for a $75 light it’s not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
So the deal is, PM me with the details on how you will pay me and we are done or I report the hit and run to the Police tomorrow. I think that is fair if it was a fellow Ifish member, if not someone is going to get a knock on the door from the state police.
Did you recieve a pm and restitution or did OSP track them down for you?

·
King Lingcod
49,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Never received the PM, incident was reported and a now should be on the door someday.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts