IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am looking to buy a boat in the next year or so and would appreciate any advice you guys can give me. It will need to be in 15-17 foot range (so I don't have to buy a new truck too!), alumaweld stryker/hewescraft type with a prop and top. I will be looking to buy a used boat for sure, so it could be as much as 10 years old.

I guess my main question is on the motor(s). Does a 4 stroke motor in 50 -90 hp range get much better fuel economy than a two stroke? How about performance (I have never owned a 4 stroke outboard)? I think I will insist on a 4 stroke kicker since I am tired of suckin down fumes. How about brands, any problems with various motors in 2/4 stroke models (Probably will have either a honda or mercury on it based on used boats for sale now)? Any things too avoid on boat itself say hewes versus Alumaweld versus??

Thanks for any tips.

· Registered
535 Posts
I've got the Alumaweld Talon 16', Its got a 40 4 stroke, and 5 4 stroke kicker. I love the boat and it will do just about anything I need around here. On rare occasions, I with I could fish 4 guys more comfortably in a bigger boat, but its rare I fish that many people. Also the 40 HP is great for 2 people and gear, it goes 33, but it will lug if the 3rd guy doesn't move forward while coming out of the hole. If I had to replace the motor, a 60 would be better, but its a matter of what you want to pay for. If I used the boat more then I do, it would make more sense to invest in a bigger boat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.