IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of Installing a bow mount Minn Kota Terrova(55 Lb thrust) on my 2008, 17' Alumaweld Stryker. I plan on using a M.K. Quick release Bracket, allowing me to easily remove the Terrova when I want. My boat came with a anchor nest installed, made by MillerMarine. I don't mind removing the anchor nest(3 Bolts) but would like to be able to reinstall the anchor nest & not have to remove the puck for the "quick release bracket". I'm playing with the position/angle I will use when I install the Bracket/Terrova. I'm trying to keep the motor as close to the center line as possible when deployed. I'm a northwest fisherman who fishes mostly in freshwater & will use the electric motor more than the anchor.

I plan on installing a plug-in for the battery cable. I plan on extending the battery cable about 10' of 6 gauge cable with a breaker. I'm routing the cable to a single 12V battery in a forward stowage compartment where I have built a platform for the battery. I may upgrade this to 2 batteries someday if I feel necessary.
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, experience w/this or pictures you would share. I think I'm ready to drill holes in my boat, but want to be sure. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading & thanks in advance for any help,
Ron

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 24 volt Terrova. If you have room for two batteries, that is the route I would go. The battery charge lasts all day of constant trolling or on spot lock. Although I did get interchangeable plates (one for the Minn Kota and one for an anchor) with the permanently mounted base, I have never had a reason to take the motor off and install the anchor mount. Your type of fishing might require anchoring, With Kokanee, walleye, trout and Salmon fishing I find I don't need it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I was able to mount a 24 volt riptide on the bow of a Jetcraft 1925 that had a anchor nest already installed . I also used a M.K. quick release bracket and had to set the motor a touch off center but it worked just great. Really nice for pinpoint boat control when windy. I would use the kicker for power and the electric for steering.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just finished installing a MK Ulterra and I used the Fishfighter mount. They make them for both the trolling motor and anchor caddy so they’re easy to switch out. Not cheap but it gives you the ultimate flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm in the process of Installing a bow mount Minn Kota Terrova(55 Lb thrust) on my 2008, 17' Alumaweld Stryker. I plan on using a M.K. Quick release Bracket, allowing me to easily remove the Terrova when I want. My boat came with a anchor nest installed, made by MillerMarine. I don't mind removing the anchor nest(3 Bolts) but would like to be able to reinstall the anchor nest & not have to remove the puck for the "quick release bracket". I'm playing with the position/angle I will use when I install the Bracket/Terrova. I'm trying to keep the motor as close to the center line as possible when deployed. I'm a northwest fisherman who fishes mostly in freshwater & will use the electric motor more than the anchor.

I plan on installing a plug-in for the battery cable. I plan on extending the battery cable about 10' of 6 gauge cable with a breaker. I'm routing the cable to a single 12V battery in a forward stowage compartment where I have built a platform for the battery. I may upgrade this to 2 batteries someday if I feel necessary.
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, experience w/this or pictures you would share. I think I'm ready to drill holes in my boat, but want to be sure. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
sounds like you’d be okay with heading out with either the anchor nest OR the MK trolling motor - but don’t need both.

I’d consider using the MK puck as a quick attach for the anchor nest. I’d think a decent marine fabricator could set you up with an adapter plate to mount your nest onto.

I have the MK puck - better than the sliding MK metal bracket mount by far - have had both.

key would be to keep the tolerance pretty snug and accept that the bottom of the anchor nest bracket may be offset to accommodate the desired MK trolling motor position

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 24 volt Terrova. If you have room for two batteries, that is the route I would go. The battery charge lasts all day of constant trolling or on spot lock. Although I did get interchangeable plates (one for the Minn Kota and one for an anchor) with the permanently mounted base, I have never had a reason to take the motor off and install the anchor mount. Your type of fishing might require anchoring, With Kokanee, walleye, trout and Salmon fishing I find I don't need it.

Bill
100% agree with the above. I have the anchor nest mounted on its own quick disconnect plate but I have not used it in the 4 years I’ve had it. I rarely anchor anymore and when I do, I use the spot lock.

Set up your boat for the primary way you fish. You can always reply the anchor off to the side if you need to.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just finished installing a MK Ulterra and I used the Fishfighter mount. They make them for both the trolling motor and anchor caddy so they’re easy to switch out. Not cheap but it gives you the ultimate flexibility.
^^^^^^ This! I recently installed a 24V Rip Tide Ulterra on an Alumaweld 17' Free Drifter. Like DaveB, I used the FishFighter mounting system to be able to switch out a Koffler anchor/nest with the MK. It works great and is fast to change out as well as secure. My 2 cents. Good luck with your decision and install, CopperMan.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Leave the anchor nest. Just mount the MK on the right side of the Bow and at an angle so the stowed MK misses the anchor nest or rides above it. The MK does not have to be on the centerline. Your kicker isn't.
I did it on my boat. Not sure I have any photos.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Leave the anchor nest. Just mount the MK on the right side of the Bow and at an angle so the stowed MK misses the anchor nest or rides above it. The MK does not have to be on the centerline. Your kicker isn't.
I did it on my boat. Not sure I have any photos.

This is how Bob at RiverWild set up my boat. I can deploy the electric with the anchor in the nest. The MK is just off center my about a foot. It doesn't seem to effect the pulling power.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Curious, what shaft length did you purchase on your Terrova for the 17' Stryker?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious, what shaft length did you purchase on your Terrova for the 17' Stryker?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I went with a 54" shaft. So far, I think it was the right choice. There's not that much room up there

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Miller Marine makes an interchangeable base
So you can swap out the anchor nest for the bow motor.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Ron
Look into anchor caddy. I have this on my 20’ Stryker. You can go from trolling with your bow mount to anchor fishing in less than five minutes or vice a versa slick set up works well no complaints

·
Registered
504 Posts
Miller marine makes the mount you need. I just installed one on my 24 ft nemesis last week and wired in a 24 volt 80 lb Terrova. Go to the Miller Marine website. It has a video for the mount to swap anchor nest and trolling motor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I went with a 54" shaft. So far, I think it was the right choice. There's not that much room up there

If it helps-

This is what I did with my 16’ Talon. 60” shaft fits fine.

I like the length when I find myself in the chop.

·
Registered
67 Posts

This is how mine installed, I always have both mounted, but removable if needed. I now have a 24v 70lb Ulterra installed.

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Miller marine makes the mount you need. I just installed one on my 24 ft nemesis last week and wired in a 24 volt 80 lb Terrova. Go to the Miller Marine website. It has a video for the mount to swap anchor nest and trolling motor. View attachment 950343 View attachment 950348

Can you open the window/door with the motor stored like that? Or is it just the angle of the picture?

Mine is mounted a lot like Pete's but facing more parallel to the gunnels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts